Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #5825

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Amazing Terry, ^ ^ ^
Who thinks up the brackets that you are using. I still use C-clamps...
I like your forum because of what you do but have neat gadgets too.
Thanks for the show.
Tim
By the way I saw you using a sanding bar it was air powered and was about a foot long and 4 inches wide. You were using it to sand the gas door hole. Are those rentable? I really think that would work great too sand my repairs on the PA>?
Keep up the great work.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #5826

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Tim, I don't know who thinks up these gadgets but I'm sure glad they did, . makes life so much easier. The tool your talking about is an air file/board depends who you talk to, it saves on the arms instead of using a hand one although I do use a hand one when I get down to almost done, usually use like 80 grit at first to get shape and switch to the hand ones after. Not sure if you can rent them or not, maybe talk to an auto parts store, sometimes they rent tools, other than that Harbor Freight sells them not sure on the price, you can go to their website and look, mine is probley 30 years old and still going, course I don't use it like I did. making repair patches still on the third door still, now tying in the inside to what I welded on the outside.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #5827

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning, Tim, I don't know who thinks up these gadgets but I'm sure glad they did, . makes life so much easier. The tool your talking about is an air file/board depends who you talk to, it saves on the arms instead of using a hand one although I do use a hand one when I get down to almost done, usually use like 80 grit at first to get shape and switch to the hand ones after. Not sure if you can rent them or not, maybe talk to an auto parts store, sometimes they rent tools, other than that Harbor Freight sells them not sure on the price, you can go to their website and look, mine is probley 30 years old and still going, course I don't use it like I did. making repair patches still on the third door still, now tying in the inside to what I welded on the outside.
I was going to go to Harbor they just opened one a couple miles away so I checked there web site and wala they have them 35 bucks. I'll get one.
Tim
Old 08-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #5828

Gulf Streamers Club
Tim, I believe this air sander will use a lot of air, like the DA does. Do you have enough air to power this thing?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #5829

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=ronspradley;3217318]Tim, I believe this air sander will use a lot of air, like the DA does. Do you have enough air to power this thing?

ronspradley[/QUOTElike the DA does]
Thanks Ron for the heads up on pressure, went back to web site and looked and it says Working pressure (psi)
90 PSI I have two compressors my MH pancake 150 psi and my garage one 5 horsepower plenty of air. What is "like the DA does"?
Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #5830

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks Ron, for jumping in I didn't think about that, . Tim, a DA Sander uses alot of air also, probley about the same. Well got the third door done, now need to prime and shoot the inside and mount it on the PU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0716161944.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	136534   Click image for larger version

Name:	0820161333.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	136535  

Old 08-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #5831

Gulf Streamers Club
Tim, DA sander is dual action, the air sander. PSI is not the problem with these air tools, it is CFM, cubic feet per minute, the volume of air. My shop air compressor, an inherited Craftsman, does 90 PSI but only 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI. Probably need three times that volume or more to operate an air sander.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #5832

Winnebago Owners Club
Would anyone consider a belt sander for roughing in the body work?
Old 08-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #5833

I've used 1/4 sheet electrics like - Palm Finishing Sander

A few OLD 1/3 sheet units like - 1.6 Amp 1/3 Sheet Heavy Duty Finishing Sander

Electrics work fine BUT they don't like wet sanding or working in paint fumes !!!!

Air tools are usually lighter, faster and safer to use. You can use them underwater if needed. BUT most of them take a LOT of air to run. 4-5 cfm at minimum to keep them working.

Tim, The 5 horse should handle an air board or DA. Look on the data plate and see what it says for SCFM @ 90 psi.
IF you get the HF air board, bring it home, take it out, oil it (ATF or Marvel make good air tool oils) then RUN IT a bunch. The bad ones tend to fail real quick.

Don't bother with the HF sandpaper though, unless it has gotten a lot better you would be better off with printer paper !!!

For a good price on quality abrasives take a look at
Lehigh Valley Abrasives | Flap Discs, Surface Conditioning Discs, Abrasive Sanding Discs, PSA Disc Rolls, Surface Conditioning Belts and Metalworking Abrasive Sanding Belts or Welcome to Supergrit.com - Supergrit
Old 08-21-2016, 04:49 AM   #5834

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up. The air sander I am using, uses adhesive to stick to the sander pad. My pancake compressor really can't keep up, But the compressor in my garage works well and I can sand for a long time. There is a lot too sand. The PO's product used is hard as a rock and takes a lot too get it semi-smooth. I'm using 40 Grit paper, got it a Manards seems too hold up really well.
Its been raining the last 2 days so can't get too work on it.
Went to HF yesterday by the S&B's I spent a good hour and a half looking and looking. Found a Bike (2) rack and receiver that will work wonderful and I still can use the mud flaps that attach to the receiver also.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_23933.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_22869.jpg
Found a new Flagg pole too replace the piece of junk I bought in Quartzite at the tents last year. Its aluminum and can hold 2 Flags and is 1/4 of the price also.
By the way its only 59 degrees.... BRRRR I told ya popeye the seasons are changing. :whistling
Thanks again for the help,
Tim
Old 08-21-2016, 05:31 AM   #5835

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Lots of great info there, glad everyone is getting in here. Got the third door done and on the PU. Next up is the passenger side door, need to strip it out, it is hand roll up window and no power and the door that came off is all power so I need to take everything out and fix one small dent and paint the inside and prime outside then mount it. Once that's all done I can paint the cab . Then we are taking off with the TH and Toter for a few days going up to Watkins Glen SP and basically do nothing, well actually there is alot of trails ect. to walk. When we get back I can pearl and clear the cab, then start putting it together.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:44 AM   #5836

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Terry,

Enjoy Watkins Glen. I think you deserve some time off!
chappgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #5837

Yup you spent all that time rebuilding the TH you better start using the heck out of it so you can show off your skills at the campground. .....lol

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #5838

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Again, nice job on the 3rd door Terry. Glad that you and Eleanor are getting away, you both deserve the relaxing time away.
Tim,
I spent about 45 minutes in the HF here yesterday, got some 2" sanding disks and arbor to set up in the drill press to try my hand at doing an engine turn on the aluminum that I am having cut to replace the table top on my grill stand. Don't now how good it will turn out, but we will see. Will post pics when I get it done. Hopefully the guy will have it cut out for me by the time we get back to Florida.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote