Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #5965
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Since this is the rebuild thread, I hope no one minds me popping in with a "rebuild" question

My question regards the stairs in an RV - mine were getting a little rust on them where some paint has been chipping away so I decided to strip them down and repaint them.

Question is - what would folks recommend I repaint the stairs with? I was going to go with a primer followed by an enamel rust preventer using spray can paint. I am wondering because the paint I took off seemed thick, or is it just how it was applied?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #5966

Probably a good quality can spray paint will do if the prep is done right.....use multiple thin coats letting it dry completely between coats...if it is ever in an area that gets a lot of use...which your application is....I would suggest at least 7to10 coats....Jim

Mk

Old 09-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #5967

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with MK, as long as you clean all the rust. If you can't get all the rust off, then use a rust converter before the primer.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #5968
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohler30 View Post
Probably a good quality can spray paint will do if the prep is done right.....use multiple thin coats letting it dry completely between coats...if it is ever in an area that gets a lot of use...which your application is....I would suggest at least 7to10 coats....Jim

Mk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
I agree with MK, as long as you clean all the rust. If you can't get all the rust off, then use a rust converter before the primer.
Frank
Thanks MK and Frank. The rust was minimal which motivated me to do it before it got bad. I'll post a thread about my endeavor because when I searched for others doing this work, there were no results. Right now I've only been working on the bottom step and it's looking like bare metal almost everywhere. A little wire brushing with a drill in the corners and I'll be ready for final prep to paint.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #5969

I have used black rust-whatever spray and touch it up a couple times a year or whenever it starts to look shabby.
Must have a dozen coats by now.

I've used Hammerite before on my last rig and it lasted pretty well just cost twice as much............

Check your propane tank , I do both step and tank at the same time so I don't have to find room for the half empty cans !
Old 09-13-2016, 04:38 AM   #5970

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Boko, you could use POR15 it's pricy but it's tough, it does need to be top coated because it is not UV protected. after painting use a "Grit strip" or something similar to keep the step from being slippery.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #5971
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
I have used black rust-whatever spray and touch it up a couple times a year or whenever it starts to look shabby.
Must have a dozen coats by now.

I've used Hammerite before on my last rig and it lasted pretty well just cost twice as much............

Check your propane tank , I do both step and tank at the same time so I don't have to find room for the half empty cans !
Hmmm, I think this is why this thread keeps going on - you guys keep coming up with more ideas for Terry!!! Yea, I'll take a look at the propane tank. But it's white and I bought all black paint for the steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning, Boko, you could use POR15 it's pricy but it's tough, it does need to be top coated because it is not UV protected. after painting use a "Grit strip" or something similar to keep the step from being slippery.
I think that's beyond my skill/tool set level

Edit: I did pick up a couple of those grip strips, so I'm good there.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #5972

Winnebago Owners Club
Rustoleum and grip strips should be good. On our RV they have a large pad that goes on. Covers most of the step so wearing the paint is not an issue.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #5973

Bokobird
Oh no ! Don't blame it on us..........
Terry just keeps going , and going , and going ..........
We need to nickname him Eveready !
OK , maybe we encourage him a little...
Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #5974
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Bokobird
Oh no ! Don't blame it on us..........
Terry just keeps going , and going , and going ..........
We need to nickname him Eveready !
OK , maybe we encourage him a little...
I've followed this thread since the beginning and check it daily. I know what you guys do to encourage Terry!!!

I do appreciate the feedback. I won't get to finishing what I'm working on for another week, but knowing what to do ahead of time makes all the difference!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #5975

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I've followed this thread since the beginning and check it daily. I know what you guys do to encourage Terry!!!

I do appreciate the feedback. I won't get to finishing what I'm working on for another week, but knowing what to do ahead of time makes all the difference!
Well it is not so much as encourage him as we live vicariously through his work. We suggest something that we would like to do and he does it, complete with how to video. Now if we still want to do it we can. But if we decide not to we can still say we saw it being done!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #5976

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good evening, Boko, the suggestions are a lot of help, (sometimes.......color selections not withstanding, LOL), If any of us can help just ask! Popeye, I think I need to name the PU Eveready, it keeps going, (I hope). Gordon, the videos have taken on a life of it's own, I really started them to just show what I'm doing, as in better than still pics. But people have said they learn from them so I've added to them, not saying that I'm a pro, (I'm far from it) but the way I do it anyone can, I do have some specialized tools, but try to show a way to go about things so the average person can do it. I have some catching up to do on the vids, still waiting on the rear bumper and fender flairs and need to pearl and clear coat the tailgate and bug guard, replaced two U Joints and unfortunately didn't video it, (needed to get it done so I could use the truck), was thinking later there was probley some tips in there I could have passed on.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #5977

If someone wants to know how to do a uni you could just do it again ??
There must be a likely vehicle somewhere nearby.............
Old 09-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #5978

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning, Boko, you could use POR15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I think that's beyond my skill/tool set level

Hey Carl, if you change your mind and do try the POR15, make sure you get them 'Specialty Gloves' that Terry uses.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote