Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #6189

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Another good video Terry, a lot of excellent advise as always.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #6190

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

I've been seeing a lot of about something that might interest you for the future. There are several of these up here in MI not to far from us too.

People who have RV's and want to live in MI or a four season's climate type state can have the best of both worlds. They are buying a piece of property. Putting up a garage or pole barn and storing their main tools and extra vehicles inside these in the winter time but going south to avoid the cold.

They come back when it warms up and park their rig at this barn or garage. There is a cover built on the side of the building that the rig parks under and full hook ups. Some people are putting a second hook up on the other side for friends to come in and visit.

Spend the summer in MI and visit family, go south in the winter to a warmer clime, but the guy doesn't loose all his tools. The one family have a second story on their garage where they have a small kitchen, living area, bathroom, laundry. The taxes on these places is cheaper but it seems to be the best of both worlds.

No basements to worry about, water is shut off in winter and building can sit easier than a house. Would be nice to have one of these near a lake too.

I know you would have a problem giving up your garage so this might work for you.

Just thought I would mention it. It's turning cold here and making me wish I was heading out with the rig instead of winterizing it. Next year, next year.

Have a great day! Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #6191

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Been busy, dislike this time of year, . Lynne, Yes I've seen those setups, when I had the shop we sold the carports and metal buildings, I did sell one that the people used like what you was describing, pretty neat. We actually might do something like that, right now the plan is to sell the house to my son, and keep a small area that we can come back to and set up, we'll see. Well setup the plow on the PU , got to get that done next will be the studded snow tires, we get alot of ice up here and the studs really help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1016161734.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	730.3 KB
ID:	141711  
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #6192
cwk

Lynne,

In someone else's post on irv2, I spotted the following article about a pole barn similar to your thoughts. The big difference was that they did NOT include a kitchen. Their pole barn is large enough to pull their rig inside. They cook in their RV. Why? Because without a kitchen, the tax assessor rates the building as a pole barn. Saves a lot in taxes. But it has all of the other rooms and plumbing, etc. Just not a kitchen. Of course, your local tax rules will apply.

Here is the link to the other post. It has a link to the article. (See page 36 of the Tiffin Quarterly Journal. It is on page 20 of the PDF.)

"Building" your own "Home Base" on "Your Property"???
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #6193

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Popeye; Right now the corner has limited membership. It's limited to anyone who brings coffee, donuts, pie, cake or just themselves. As soon as this corner fills up we will add another corner.

We left a day late because of a storm south of us. The afternoon of the day we left it started snowing at home and by the time we got to the area where the storm was the roads were bare and dry. Unfortunately we ran into a couple showers, just enough to get everything dirty. Going to organize a local fellow to wash the coach.

Sitting in Lloyds spot right now. Big beehive in the tree above our patio so they are arranging for a beekeeper to remove them.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #6194

Harley1994

Heard a long range weather report for NY. We will continue to have good weather until the end of DEC. Then the rest of the winter we will get 100inches of snow. We will get to use our snowblowers more than last year. Camping this weekend...should be about 60degrees. This Tuesday we get our truckback from the body shop. Seven days is the longest we had to leave it. Getting cabin fever!! I need to go out and replenish groceries. We are still mowing our lawns. I purchased two gallons of RV antifreeze at Walmart. Hate to do this end of season chore. DH washed the 1st. floor windows for me. Not that they will stay clean. Everyone be safe and healthy. Sam
Old 10-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #6195
bap

heyn hey hey,,,i dint want to loose my space in the corner.....I made cranberry scones to go with the coffee.....lol

love you folks....
Old 10-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #6196

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynne,
That is a good way to do things, one of my customers had a garage set up in Ohio with full hookups next to it, he kept his hot rods and tools in the garage and he would park the MH next to it for the summer, they had a house in Florida for the winter. He had a plastic tank in one bay of the garage that I would fill a couple times a summer for them to use in the MH. Rita and I are discussing what we are going to do when it comes time for us to stop traveling, right now we are leaning to buy another unit and put it in a campground up north somewhere and then leave one in the warm climate, and either just drive back and forth, or leave a vehicle in both places and just fly back and forth.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #6197

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, CW, We have been leaning that way, right now my son has a double wide in what we call the next field so when the time comes sell the place to son and move the double wide out and put in the docking station for the RV whatever that is. Gordon, good to hear your back in Yuma safe and sound. Sam, boy hope we do have some warm weather at least till the first of the year, makes the winter a little better, could do without the snow thro. Frank, I think the garage just makes sense. Well looks like we put the TH away in the inside storage like last year, shooting for Nov. 1st unless they predict heavy snow before. Picking up around the shop, (outside) getting ready for plowing, boy what accumulates as you build things.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #6198

My plan for winter is ......Global Warming ,,, use spray cans!
I know , they use something new that doesn't destroy the ozone layer .
But that's my plan anyway!

Looks like this thread has lost the post count contest. (For now........ "I have seen the enemy and they are US!"
I'm going to have to call in the secret weapon though.
"RELEASE THE...............DONUTS!!!!!!!
For every post here you get to eat 1 donut ... simple but effective.
(Due to logistical problems you will of course have to supply your own.)
Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #6199

I think the donuts have made us all too sleepy to post.....darn sugar coma... ..lol

Mk
Old 10-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #6200

Hmmmm maybe MK is right , I'll have to reconsider the incentive....
BRB
Old 10-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #6201
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Some of you may remember my post re: my RV steps and refinishing them. Well, after a bunch of $'s and a bunch of effort getting one step "prep'd" for paint I gave up

Not totally in the sense that I still wanted them refinished, it's just I was a bit concerned with just spray-can painting them so I called around for powder-coating and found a local shop that would work on them.

So they sandblasted and powder coated both of them with a non-slip finish for $80. Thought that was a pretty good deal and just picked them up today. They look real nice. I'll post pics in another thread once I get ready to re-install them.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #6202

Ok.....ok.....I will go to the store and get some carrot sticks and broccoli with ranch dressing so we can get healthy in the corner..... remember it's all about choices now days....

Mk