Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #729

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
I have to say at times I lose sight of where I am, it is nice, (even thro I prefer green grass). We have been snowed in before, longest was about a week, before they could get here with a big Walters 4X4 V Plow to punch thru snow drifts that were 8 to 12' high, we plan on it. There where only two houses then, so no big hurry to get here. Summer time I always have to watch the trees when I go with the big truck.
Very nice drive, Terry! Maybe we should exchange views for a month or so during the winter . Never been snowed in for a week but we were without electricity often during hurricane season when we lived on the Texas coast .... longest spell was 17 days. We moved from the coast years ago and now I have to watch the trees in my driveway with the MH and big truck too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140825_082822.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	80953  

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #730

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Beautiful view Terry, but that is about as close to any snow as I want to get. I like Thunderfoot's view much better. You need to hurry up and get cracking on that TH Terry, it will be time to start the shakedown cruise before you know it, LOL.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #731

There are electrical systems set up that if the battery voltages get too low the generator automatically kicks on to charge them & shuts off when done. I've not researched it yet. But with a residential refrigerator that is the route I would go.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #732

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thunderfoot, I'll watch your trees anyday, that looks nice. Frank, times flyin , I know things slow down here because of the weather, but I'm hoping that all of a sudden it'll be done !! beeelieve me there will be a celebration. HH, Frank brought up a good thought with the boondocking part, I think I need to set down and figure what type of traveling We will be doing the most of, then figure the best appliances for the job. My genny will be mounted in the TV so I need to figure an electric line that can be hooked up as I am going down the road.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #733

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, great view!! As for the line from the CFC to TH, you can do the same as the trailer manufacture that put on my lift gate used! It can be bought at any truck supply store. It is a single lead plug the same as the seven pin plug, looks the same, just has one big lead! They used it for battery charging, power to the lift gate, and for power to use for the interior lights! Easy to hook and unhook! You can hook it up as you want, run the power into a central box, and dist. it as needed to the different places. Hope you thaw out soon, so you can get back to work!
We had a different type of surge at our farm house one time, Lightning hit the big hackberry tree out by our horse pasture, blew the electric fence charger to bits, then traveled thru the ground, you could see the burnt in the grass, into the house on the underground phone line! Blew up all the phones, and knocked out the odd channels on the directv recievers? It was plugged into the phone line! The even channel's still worked?? Tv's and everything else were ok?? After that i put a whole house surge protector behind the meter, that i bought from the power co.! Do not know if it would have helped the lightning strike? But gave me protection from the power surges and brown outs! Your homeowners insurance should help with the replacements of your stuff! I would think? I hope so! Stay warm everyone! Rail!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #734

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Rail, That power cord can be used for 110 voltage? I think I've seen what your talking about I drove a small rig once with a lift that had an extra plug and cord, never had to unhook so didn't think about it. We had surge protecters on the plugs, burned a hole right thru them, two houses burned, and eight houses reported smoke coming from their outlets so it was pretty severe, the power co. says "if its our fault we will pay for the damages", whats the chances of that.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #735

Winnebago Owners Club
Chances are sometimes dependent upon how persistent you are. Hope you are successful with having them own up to their issue and compensating you properly.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #736

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, we've put the claim process in motion, we will see what happens, DW is pretty tough when it comes to that stuff.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #737

Sure beats $1,000 for a Samsung.
Vissani 24 in. W 10 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in White-HMDR1030WE - The Home Depot
Old 12-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #738

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Terry;
Residential Fridge is great but the best use will depend upon how many days you plan to boon dock in a row without travel and how much solar power you are going to install.

We generally do not boon dock more than a couple days without traveling or hooking up to shore power so our batteries and inverter work well. We have to run the generator to use the induction top so that adds to our power.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #739

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Morning, HH, I think thats the refrig. DW and I looked at, at Home Depot, we haven't had a chance to go back and check it out, DW has tomorrow off and we're going shopping so maybe can ck it out. Gordon, Eleanor doesn't think we will be doing alot of Boondocking right now, (I just don't know) in yrs past thats all we did do. Our main use for a yr or so will be to travel and stop, maybe for a few days in an area and ride, then move on, where we stop will probably be in a campsite. So it sounds like a residential would work in that scenario.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #740

Just read this thread, what a build!!!!
You definitely have a one of a kind Skamper 5th wheel.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #741

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mohamer, Welcome and Thanks!! I figure I'll need to carry a picture book in case a cop stops me , he won't believe its a "1973" !
Old 12-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #742

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning, HH, I think thats the refrig. DW and I looked at, at Home Depot, we haven't had a chance to go back and check it out, DW has tomorrow off and we're going shopping so maybe can ck it out. Gordon, Eleanor doesn't think we will be doing alot of Boondocking right now, (I just don't know) in yrs past thats all we did do. Our main use for a yr or so will be to travel and stop, maybe for a few days in an area and ride, then move on, where we stop will probably be in a campsite. So it sounds like a residential would work in that scenario.
Hi Terry;
I think you are on the best track then. Staying mostly in campgrounds will enable you to measure the power requirements and give you time to solar up as required.

My experience in boondocking is a night here and there in a Walmart or Lowes. IMO if you are truly boon docking there will be some gravel involved. Not my preference for riding.

Our experience is not so much with hauling the bike from place to place. We normally do long tours with our bikes and popup. We have travelled on the bikes up to 10,000 miles. We normally do about a month long trip each summer.

When we haul the bikes we just take them from home to the resort we snowbird in. The toyhauler is parked and we ride in the area. As mentioned we have not hauled the bikes from place to place for a tour but that is now in the planning stage.

In my estimation we will pick a route and travel from campsite to campsite parking for a period of time at each location. I hope to limit the travel to a couple hundred miles between campsites and the scout the area on the bikes. A 100 mile radius should be doable for most day rides.

On the surface the plan looks good BUT I have found there are generally so many things to see it will take an awfully long time to get to all of the locations I have on the bucket list without doing some longer travel between points.