Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #7421

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Good luck on the sale of the TH and Tot' r.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #7422

Best of luck on the sales Terry! I woud think neither would be a problem you did such a good job, and Elenore's interior design,,, awesome!

If they don't go nw, for sure the spring will move them.

L.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #7423

Wow!! Haven’t checked in on you in a long time. You just can’t stand it. Got bored and now taking on another project. I know it will turn out very nice
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:38 AM   #7424

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jen,
The picture of the ground block looks like a 120v ground block. The white wires for the neutrals and the red crimp-on connectors look like they are housing bare copper, which would be the ground. Both for the many 120v circuit runs throughout the RV.
Good luck on your RV project.

Terry,
Been a while since I've checked in here. I am amazed at your craftsmanship. Fantastic job on the Tot'r and TH.

If I put the time in on a project that you've put in to the Tot'r and TH, I would have a hard time wanting to let go of them. But, how great for you to come across the Monaco in as good a shape it's in; the price isn't bad; and, the positives that come with the MH. So I guess that would help in the decision of letting the TB's go. You've already started on your next Total Build with the enclosed trailer, so, we can keep looking forward to following along and learning.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:11 AM   #7425

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Busy, this time of year for me is just crazy, getting ready for the cold and S--- putting things away, getting other stuff out. plus fixing Eleanor's Ford Escape, that hit a deer, (with my son as driver, yup the one that won 8 times on the stock car track this year, seems he's not good a dodging) had to pull the radiator support back about 2 inches so the headlight and fender bolts lined up. Pa, after seeing what Lloyd went thru I will be looking at any and all safety upgrades to the steering system! Thanks. Frank, Lloyd, thanks, that what I figured spring will be the best time for sure. Tim, I've thought several times of the area that you live in, it was very nice when I was down there picking up the 5th wheel, (which has worked very well by the way, ) Hi Rich, Thanks! there is always a little sadness when these projects go but the next one creates excitement .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1028171528.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	632.7 KB
ID:	182012   Click image for larger version

Name:	1104171116.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	708.8 KB
ID:	182013  

Old 11-05-2017, 05:52 AM   #7426

Hi Terry!

Bummer on the deer damage. Tis the season. I came close to one on the bike the other nght coming back from bike night, scared the you know what out of me!!!

Now that we are progessing on repairs to Ms Prissy, as opposed to getting a different coach, I am going to start my work on researching steering stabilization. I have at this point eliminated the "tire bands". They are very expensive, and worse than that have a weak dealer network. If you have a flat, or just simply want new tires, you must use a dealer as they have the eqiptment to make the tire change.

My collision shop recomended two actions. No steer tires older than 2-3 years. And a good stabilizer. The good stabilizer is where I have work to do. The two main units available are the Safe T Plus, and the Roadmaster reflex. I intend to call both, and do some comparison shopping. After only reading, I currently favor the Roadmaster unit, it appears to be a heavier unit. However reserve the right to change my mind. Installation of both seem pretty simple.

In hindsight, I do feel one of these untis might have given me the help I needed to keep going straight despie the oscilation and pull by dampening and constantly trying to center.

L.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #7427

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wiring

Gosh, Thank you all, great help, to many names to thank. I will put your wisdom to good use.

I have one more question, when I put in boxes, for example 110 outlets and switches, do I also put in a 12v outlet with it, I am not sure how to arrange it, I have done house wiring, but the 12v is throwing me?

Good luck Terry on the sale, it feels good to get rid of something and get what you're asking.

By the way power is back , Thursday night.
Alreadygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #7428

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, well it's raining, cold front coming thru that means it's going to get cold, . Lloyd, hitting a deer on a bike is always a frightening possibility. Kinda following along on your choices of steering controls, never much thought about it until we got the MH. Jen, when I build a unit after gutting I kinda sit down and think about what I'm going to do in the unit, that will tell you what and where to put things, one thing I have learned, (and Gordon has told me) is to put more outlets than you think you'll need, as far as 12 volt goes, almost everything is run by 12 volts, lights, ect, you'll have to think if you will be boondocking or hooked up to power more also.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #7429
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jen, Think about USB outlets as well. These are 5VDC, but they come in different amperages. Some can only charge a small cellphone. Larger ones (more amps) are required to charge a tablet, GPS, etc. Note that some GPS's need the 12VDC to operate properly (the USB plug provided is only for updating the maps when connected to a computer).

There are 12VDC to 5VDC USB adapters. They come in different amperages also. Again, think about what and how you will be using things.

I second Terry's method of sitting in the rig when planning. I might add walking around and pretend you are cooking, watching TV, showering, driving, getting dressed, sleeping, etc. What do you need to do all of these things?

Enjoy!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #7430

Winnebago Owners Club
I think about lots of things:
- lots of outlets because you will always find something to plug in. That means lots of circuits so you are not popping breakers. That includes 110 so you can plug in extra heaters. Try to install the outlets on inside walls to reduce thin spots in the insulation.

- lots of insulation in the walls, roof and floor. It will make it cooler, warmer and quieter.

- dual pane glass to continue on the insulation theme.

- comfortable chairs and sitting.

- comfortable bed

- large enough shower

- residential fridge - with ice maker (ice maker is optional but a great addition)

- television in a good location to watch comfortably.

- lots of counter space for cooking, etc.

- install two thermostatically controlled, reversing fantastic fans. One in front and one at rear so air can be circulated. This can reduce the amount of air conditioning you will have to run. It will enable a rapid cooling of a closed unit at the end of they day.

- have as much holding (fresh, gray, black) as you can if you plan to do much boon docking.

- install lots of lights, LED if possible. As we get older more light is critical. Have several circuits so you can adjust lighting levels as required. If dimmable you may be able to use one circuit.

- lots of storage. A pantry with pull out drawers is a bonus.

Probably will think of more later.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #7431

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Can't speak on the roadmaster, I installed the safe t plus took about hour with a good elc impact wrench .... Don't know if id try installing with out a impact.. The safe t plus is a massive and the plates look to be 1/2 plate or better It ain't going anywhere... The safe t plus is a simple no bs steering stabilizer and the blue one that goes on yours is massive ... Gone from two hand to no hands ... Plus it has a life time warranty..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #7432

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Morning, Busy, this time of year for me is just crazy, getting ready for the cold and S--- putting things away, getting other stuff out. plus fixing Eleanor's Ford Escape, that hit a deer, (with my son as driver, yup the one that won 8 times on the stock car track this year, seems he's not good a dodging) had to pull the radiator support back about 2 inches so the headlight and fender bolts lined up. Pa, after seeing what Lloyd went thru I will be looking at any and all safety upgrades to the steering system! Thanks. Frank, Lloyd, thanks, that what I figured spring will be the best time for sure. Tim, I've thought several times of the area that you live in, it was very nice when I was down there picking up the 5th wheel, (which has worked very well by the way, ) Hi Rich, Thanks! there is always a little sadness when these projects go but the next one creates excitement .
But did you get to keep the deer? I have seen something worse than deer, we are having wild pig problems. Try hitting a 400# pig. Had a friend hit one on his bike and was lucky to survive.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #7433

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bill, we are having a problem locally with pigs here too, a local was raising them and just let them loose, now they are wild and trouble. Had a state trooper hit one and it flipped his cruiser! My son hit this one with our car on his way to work, let someone else take it (the deer)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #7434

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hi Gang,
I have hit a few deer over the years, all but 1 in the semi. The only one worth having was the one that won the fight with my Chevette. But couldn't't find it. It didn' t even slow down, Lol.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote