Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #743

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, sounds like we kinda did the same thing each summer, we were limited in time by work, so we would do a week at a time, generally would do an 1800 to 2000 miles. We would stay at motels instead, the couple that always goes with us needs power and air conditioning for health reasons. Now with the TH we can travel and stay and when the weather is bad its ok, we have traveled in some really bad storms before. We did a four state trip in the beginings of Hurricane Irene, I was riding a side hack at the time and Eleanor riding behind me said it looked like a boat with a wake.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #744

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Finally got back to work on the TH, still insulating, work goes so slow this time of year . Lots of other stuff to do, not TH related.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #745

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good thing Terry, spring is just around the corner. It will be time to try it out before you know it. Did you ever decide where you wanted to meet in the spring? Also, when would be another question. I think we will be heading north sometime around the middle of May, we will be here t our winter site until at least the middle of April. I am hoping to be able to meet up with you, if possible.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #746

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, Ok there is another possibility, I have to make a trip with the TV out to Gilberts, Illinois to have some engine upgrades done at Hypermax Engineering. I will be there for at least three days, (they say it takes two days to do the work) we will be staying in Elgin, Il. at Burnidge & Paul Wolff Forest Preserve campsites, You live in NE Ohio right?, this also depends what the weather is out there that time of year, we may do it later if its not good. Of course we will have the TH, thats what we will be staying in.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #747

That might work Terry, we usually stay about 30 miles south of I90 and I271 interchange. On your way back from Elkin, maybe stop at one of the campgrounds right on Lake Erie around Geneva. If it is in June or July the weather is usually pretty good, we probably won't be back in Ohio until sometime in June the way it looks right now. But you know how plans can change.
Frank
Old 12-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #748

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, Don't I know about changing plans ,This past year has been full of them, when we are in Ill, we are planing to shoot up to the Harley plant and museum in Wisconsin, from my figures its around 100 miles, so a nice day trip, thats one reason for the wanting nice weather. Dw will have to go back to work so not sure how long we will be out and about (at least a week to ten days).
Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #749

Monaco Owners Club
The Geneva area of Lake Erie sounds interesting and we've never been there. If this get-together materializes, and it's an open invite affair, we would try to make it.

-David
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #750

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi David, Come on down, (as they say on tv) As it looks right now it should be a go, I haven't pined an exact date yet, but it'le be in the late spring? early summer?, That should give me time to finish and shake down the TH and the TV. Maybe Frank can recommend a campground if this is his stompin grounds.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #751

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Well, the ceiling and the right side wall is insulated, the left wall needs about another 12' and then the whole TH is insulated, right now I am running a 1500 watt heater and it will maintain 69 degs with the outside temp 23 degs. Thats with no windows installed yet also. I have decided to paint the rear window frames (for the Garage) to match the other windows removed from the "donor" FW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1221141614.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	81582   Click image for larger version

Name:	1219141246.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	81583  

Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #752

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry;
You are going to have to just cut the window holes and only install a screen in one of them to keep it from getting too HOT! Boy the results you are getting will make it really cozy. And a breeze to heat and cool.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #753

Looks good Terry, I will check on availability of campsites when we get a little closer, there are a number of campgrounds near the shore between Cleveland and Erie, Pa. And they are all within 15 to 20 miles from I 90, so it will be easy getting there.
Too bad the RV manufacturers don't listen to what you are doing, that is wonderful to keep it that warm with a little heater. I realize that the more windows the harder to heat, but still with a regular propane furnace, you won't have any problems maintaining a good temperature.
Frank
Old 12-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #754

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Morning All, Gordon, It seems like my idea on insulation might work, Frank, looks good for the sites, we have 4 or 5 months to look them over, time will fly (I know for me anyway). I have seen somewhere that there are some RV manufacturers that are using something like what I'm doing, (actually I think they are spray foaming). I will say that it is very time consuming running wires because you can't just tuck the insulation in or around the wires, you have to cut grooves or holes, like you would for running wires in wood. but by the time I foam around the cracks and spots that's too hard to install, it will become a stuctural component of the body. Its also very sound proof.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #755

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - foam board works really well. We recently added one inch of styrofoam to the exterior of the house, wrapped it and the put on new siding. It really warmed up the house. The amount of effort to put it in is high. Spray foam works well but you still can have a bunch of effort to trim the excess to make the wallboard fit.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #756

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, I know a bunch of people that have upgraded with the foam board when residing their S&B, I need to do ours as well, I figure anything to cut down on the heating/cooling bills. I've seen video on the spray foam process, it can be a mess to clean up after. Almost got the left side done a few more and it'le be complete, then work on the bedroom area starts.