Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #7869

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Last picture tells the tale. At first I thought you and Eleanor were getting a little long in the tooth and taking all the mirrors down in the bedroom because that no longer turned y'all on. But you replaced with a Rorschach test. Kinky.

ron and emmett
I had the same thoughts. Frank helping Rita shower and then putting her clothes on!!! Now taking down mirrors. What's happening???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #7870

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ohhhhhh Myyyyyyy!! Ron and Gordon are tooooooooo funny!!!:2 funny:
Rail!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:04 AM   #7871

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Well heck I just can't resist......uh, total rebuild, hmmm. Now, are we sure Terry didn't actually break the mirror, hence padded headboard is needed? I say, needed. Ha!

And Frank, tisk tisk! Hahaha!

Just kiddin' guys!

The project looks good so far Terry!

Glad to hear Rita's progressing Frank. Hope she feels 100% real soon.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #7872

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Yikes!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:45 AM   #7873

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ron and Gordon,
Toooooo funny!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terry,
I knew that once you got her home, it wouldn't take long before you got started. The woodwork looks great after Eleanors treatment. We have been treating ours with liquid gold to keep the oak in good shape. The manufacturers of the rvs use the mirrors to make the space look a lot bigger.
Glenn,
Thanks, Rita is doing good considering what was done. Went to the Docs Friday and he said everything was good, but she has to keep it immobile for 6 weeks, then therapy.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #7874

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning all, Frank, yup I know the tricks on the mirrors, but me and Eleanor just didn't like them, what a pain taking them down! Of course every one broke, good thing I'm not superstitious! There must have been at least a 100 years bad luck! We ordered two new recliners yesterday, and I think Eleanor ordered the wall paper. She also ordered material swatches to see what material she wants for the window treatments and bed headboard. Still looking for carpet for the bedroom
Old 03-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #7875

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Episode one of the Monaco restore project.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #7876

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, a lot of familiar stuff on the inside there! She's got good bones, and looks like the paint will buff out nice! Looks like we have the same table, i really like the way the leaf comes out, then self stores! Going to enjoy watching! Rail!
Old 03-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #7877

Winnebago Owners Club
Very Nice Terry and Eleanor;
The inside looks to be in very good shape. Looking forward to seeing the upgrades and finished product.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #7878
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Terry,

I agree with Rail: A lot of familiar stuff in there! A lot of similarities to my '91 American Eagle. As you know, mine is also in the restoration process. I hope you don't mind us stealing ideas!

I have the dinette booth instead of the table. You have the better option. I wonder what the odds are that I could find a similar style old table at an RV salvage yard. Or, I may want to visit some dealers and look at a more modern version that has cabinetry along the outside wall with a table that pulls out and extends somehow. That would widen the aisle for walking room AND give us more storage.

I already took the mirrors down behind the bed. Way too many mirrors!

What is the "refinishing process" you are applying to the oak wood?

Thanks for making and posting the video and the photos.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #7879

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi guys just a quick answer to CW, Eleanor uses a combo, I'll take a picture to show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_123955.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	196844  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #7880
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Well today was demo day on the Project Monaco, while I tore out the many mirrors, Eleanor started the restore on the oak cabinets,
Thanks for the reply on the re-finish materials.

Not trying to hijack the thread... But, maybe this will help some other readers as well.

Just to be sure I am looking at the correct thing, which door of the pair of doors did Eleanor refinish? (Referencing post #7867, photo #3)

I am guessing that the pair of doors was in the kitchen area and received a lot of water abuse.

It also looks like a lot of the woodwork throughout the coach does NOT need refinishing. Is that correct?

Please thank Eleanor for the advice. I have an entire coach to evaluate and restore as needed. Most of the woodwork in mine looks great. However, there are areas that show signs of wear. In some areas the finish is completely worn off, such as the wood panel next to the handrail by the mid-entry door. Since replacing the wood is not really an option, I want to get it right the first time. That's why I am asking an expert for advice.

The topcoat is wore quite thin around the handle. Also, there appear to be water spots (probably from rain drops not wiped dry) in the area.

BTW, according to the label on the inside of the kitchen cabinet door, the color applied to the oak in my coach is called: Honey Maple. I believe Minwax has that color name in its offerings if I need to replace any wood or build new furniture.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #7881

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi CW, she did the door on the left, they are kitchen cabinet doors under the sink. actually the doors didn't look that bad before she started, it's just that dramatic of a difference when done, in the photos most of the cabinets have already been done, that's why they look okay. we just took some before and after pics to show how good a job that stuff does and what they looked like before, what ours really was, was just years of sitting and no one doing what should have been done every so often, no water damage I think some sun shining where it was parked in one spot all the time, and the shades not pulled. The wood in your picture will most likely come back looking pretty good using that stuff, we do all the cabinets so they all look the same when done, plus it just puts essential oils back into the wood. I like a table and chairs, never did like a dinette, they make a table that will go down into a cabinet attached to the wall, that would give more room. I like a table that stays up just because I can sit down anytime without pulling up the table and sitting it up, plus it just gives more space to sit things. Rail, yup the table is kinda neat with extension, took me a minute to figure it out! Gordon, I hope I can keep up with the videos, sometimes we move along faster than I can film! .
Old 03-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #7882
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Thanks, again!

That is quite a remarkable difference. Wow!

While I am asking questions, please let me sneak one more in here.

What product(s) does Eleanor plan to use on the leather dashboard and leather seats? I noticed that Howard Products (they make the other two products she used on the woodwork) has some leather care products. But, I again wanted to ask the expert!

« Goooodmorning!!! | - »