Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thanks for the info will be looking into the flush mount for sure. Putting the underlayment on the roof today!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0912141526.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	73655  
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Golly that looks good. I replaced the sheeting and membrane on the 5er this summer. Did it by myself except for the DW helping me get the EPDM up on the roof.

Wish I were closer so I could come over and see it. Would be fun to give you a hand. And learn something new at the same time.

I look forward to each one of your posts.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #73

I'm not a radio person either. But atleast give thought to a weather radio.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

I'm alone during the week, the wife helps on weekends with handing me things and saving steps which helps. It sure would be fun to have some help, this site helps by bouncing ideas around by people that have been there done that. You know a weather radio is probably a good choice, the weather around the country this summer seems like it was crazy. I need to get the EPDM yet what weight did you use for your roof? How did you fasten the sheeting? I stapled mine every 3 to 4 inches and was thinking of screwing it also. I also glued it. Saturday has a prediction for rain in the afternoon, so I don't know what I'll get done tomorrow. Would like to start putting the siding on.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Temps dipped to 36 degs!! last nite, as I write this we have the pellet stove going. Supposed to rain this afternoon so I have to cover up, sunday is going to be ok.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
I'm alone during the week, the wife helps on weekends with handing me things and saving steps which helps. It sure would be fun to have some help, this site helps by bouncing ideas around by people that have been there done that. You know a weather radio is probably a good choice, the weather around the country this summer seems like it was crazy. I need to get the EPDM yet what weight did you use for your roof? How did you fasten the sheeting? I stapled mine every 3 to 4 inches and was thinking of screwing it also. I also glued it. Saturday has a prediction for rain in the afternoon, so I don't know what I'll get done tomorrow. Would like to start putting the siding on.
I built a laminated roof. It had 1/2 sheeting before. I replaced with 3/8 inch plywood covered by 1/4 G1S plywood.

Used screws. Put in about 700 screws. Used screws as I was worried about the staples working loose as the trailer flexes when traveling. Seems like I was always going back to the lumber yard to get another box of them. Good reason to take a break and go for a ride.

Filled all of the screw holes with filler before placing the membrane.

We used 60ml EPDM. The roof originally had TPO but I liked the idea of EPDM so changed. The new membrane is thicker than the old one and IMO will have a better insulating effect.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #77

If you don't mind me asking, what is your total price going to be roughly?
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

It sounds like you did an excellent job on the roof, I have to say I thought about using 1/2" plywood, but I didn't plan on walking on the roof, in hindsite it would be better. I knew that what I was doing was adequate, I will be screwing it also just to be sure. My totol price might surprise you, I was/am in business and know what the markup on alot of this stuff is. sometimes over 100%. that being said I try to find suppliers that will work with me. Everything that I have put in it to this point, Including buying the original trailer is 3000.00, that will put new siding, insulate, put underlayment on the roof. I replaced all the flooring plus raised the sides to the same level as the front. We figure that we will have around 5 to 6 thousand totol.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
It sounds like you did an excellent job on the roof, I have to say I thought about using 1/2" plywood, but I didn't plan on walking on the roof, in hindsite it would be better. I knew that what I was doing was adequate, I will be screwing it also just to be sure. My totol price might surprise you, I was/am in business and know what the markup on alot of this stuff is. sometimes over 100%. that being said I try to find suppliers that will work with me. Everything that I have put in it to this point, Including buying the original trailer is 3000.00, that will put new siding, insulate, put underlayment on the roof. I replaced all the flooring plus raised the sides to the same level as the front. We figure that we will have around 5 to 6 thousand totol.
For 6k youve got a CUSTOM trailer that fits YOUR exact needs. Sounds perfect!!!!!
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thats what we figured, we really looked for about a yr. from new to everything in between, we just couldn't justify spending anywhere from 100,000 for what we were going to do. I'm not saying that this trailer is going to be as good or whatever as one that is that much money, but I can say that "I" built this one. And your right when its done it will be what we need and want in it. I know this build is not for everyone for whatever reason.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO a couple of things. Insulation and vapour barrier and ventilation.

One of the issues I have found during my research is the trailers are only built for casual occupation. Which means to me they are not insulated as well as I would like. Because of this they are cool when it is cold and hot when it is warm. Good insulation is cheap and will make the place much more comfortable. Insulating between the garage and living quarters would make it very cozy.

When I took the roof off of the 5er I found there was no vapour barrier. For most applications this is probably acceptable but when it is cool and you are showering, cooking, etc you know where the water vapour is ending up at. A roll of vapour barrier is cheap and will help keep the walls and insulation dry.

If insulation and vapour barrier are used ventilation may be an issue. Good and sufficient roof vents are the answer. A couple Fantastic fans (or equivalent) with rain and reversing would be a good start. Since you have the walls open adding the thermostat control would be easy and add a lot to their use.

A vent or two in the toy box is a must. I think a static vent would be adequate.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Gordon, very good ideas, I should have thought about the vapor barrier, I will definitely do that. I'm using Poly Iso insulation which is a hard foam like with a backer on both sides, I figured on putting that in everywhere and then using a commercial grade foaming unit to fill any cracks making everything more solid. I have a power vent for the garage, but will have to think about putting in the other in the living area. I did think it would be a good idea to put insulation between the garage and the living area, that way you could leave the ramp down if you wanted to. Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Harley1944,

I think a few of us are really enjoying your post. Please keep the pictures coming and I think if some of us were close you would have a lot of help. Hope to someday run into you two and get a chance to see this in person.. Thank you for sharing with us.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thank you so much, I think it would be fun to have a bunch doing a project such as this, with so many with a varied knowledge of the different systems. Sorry I've been so slow with some pics but I was doing some small detail work. Getting ready to put the siding on, should start tomorrow. Here are some of the rear, trim and the bolts that are going to hold the rear ramp assembly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0914141810.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	73843   Click image for larger version

Name:	0914141809.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	73844  

Name:	0914141508.jpg