Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #869

Winnebago Owners Club
I hear you about counting screws. I put just under 900 in the roof sheeting when I replaced the EPDM and sheeting on the 5er. Did not seem like a lot but it was surprising how fast each box was empty.

Thank goodness for DeWalt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #870
bap

i have put so many metal roofs on houses i dont even want to know whle im screwing it down on how many i have to go..lol....

Old 01-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #871

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Gordon, I'm thanking Milwaukee for driving mine home. I keep ordering screws of all different sizes for all different purposes, seems no end, same with butyl tape, I think there is a couple miles of it. Bap, I've put a couple of metal roofs on and don't care to do anymore, so I can feel your pain.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #872

Winnebago Owners Club
BAP - its not how many are left to go it is how many we have done.

I prefer the metal roofs to ashphalt shingles. When we did the house I was able to remove roof vents and replace with a ridge vent. 7 less holes to leak! The shed we did both the roof and siding with metal.

Beauty is that we will not be doing that again. Mind you the asphalt shingles probably would have outlasted me as well.

We have a local lumber yard that has a really good selection of different screws and bolts including stainless. I had a number of rides this summer as I was always underestimating how many more screws I needed and would run in to get a box or two. I did not mind as it was always nice to get out for a short ride.

Interesting is the number of staples I put in the tar paper on the shed. We got the sheeting on the roof in the fall and did not get the steel on. The sheeting sat out over the winter and went through 3 freeze thaws. You could see the start of some deterioration. It was supposed to be rainy for a few days so being as smart as I am I thought I would put the tar paper on to protect the sheeting until the weekend when the crew would be available for placing the steel (22' lengths). So up I went. No rain but wind instead. Started lifting the paper so up I went with the trusty stapler to really nail it down. Long story short - 20,000 staples later it was a lost cause. I picked pieces of tar paper off the ground and out of the tree tops for several days and had to re-paper the entire roof. Fortunately no additional deterioration to the sheeting.

Hope the weather is good for you Terry. Now that you have it closed up and insulated working inside during the cold is inconvenient but doable so progress will be continuing.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #873

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Gordon, I'm sorry I couldn't help laughing at your tar paper story, I think we have all been there with something that just did not work. I always seem to pick cold, rainy or icy days to do something outside, I have a close friend that I grew up with that helps me when I have a project that is a little beyond just me, we put a steel roof on in the freezing rain, he now always asks is it gonna rain when I ask for help. The weather is what it is, I can learn to work around it, there is plenty to do inside, except I need everything that has to be put thru the sides in, before I can put up the inside walls, I have learned that if you are quick you can put windows in even thro its freezing outside, butyl tape stays pliable even in the cold. I took a pic of how I run the electric wires, I use a plunge cut saw, and cut grooves to run the wires in, and anyhing I cut into wood staple alumium over. The lower outlet is a GFI goes by the sink the up is the microwave outlet that goes inside the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0106151528.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	82800  
Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #874

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing I left out in the tar paper story is the wind blew the ladder over while I was up there. Nothing to do but keep on tacking until Janet came back from shopping and put the ladder back up. Thereafter I had a rope and tied the ladder.

I have seen fellows replacing windows in the cold but I have been fortunate in that regard. You have worked out a really elegant way of cutting the holes so your outside exposure is limited. Do you use self taping screws?

Bringing stuff in from the outside can be an issue but you have the toybox door. That will mean the dividing wall may be about the last thing you will be putting in.

Just had an additional thought about outside switched plugs. Can you have an individual switch for each plug? That would let you turn off the plug for say lights while you were able to leave a plug on for say the block heaters on the Harleys. LUP (laugh uproariously loud).

I like the way you are installing the wires. From the picture I notice you are running the wires either vertically or horizontally. The fellow who did our wiring when we remodelled the kitchen did that. It was a work of art when he got done. It was pretty simple to install the dry wall and screws because of his work method. We still know where all of the electrical is about located. He installed plates over the 2x4 where ever it went through. We never hit a plate once!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #875

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, You should have had a video it would have been on America's Funniest TV show!! Had to read it to DW we both got a good laugh. Yes having the back door does make putting items in so much easier, the door separating the garage and the coach will be slightly larger than the entrance door plus it is a straight shot to bring in large items like a mattress. Yes I use the same screw that an RV manufacturer uses, they go in very fast. I can't say I've ever needed a block heater for my Harley , I think its in the same catagory as spark plugs for diesels . I thought I would post how I'm running the wires to give others ideas, hope it helps.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #876

AC outlets can have the individual plugs isolated from each other simply by breaking a couple of "jumpers" located on the sides. Good idea.

One of the things I learned doing electrical work was installing those plates over wiring in s+b home construction , keeps the sheetrockers from doing any damage to the wiring where a short can be very dangerous.

Keep warm Terry. jeeze it's COLD up here in the NE.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #877

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Popeye, I had forgot thats what you did to isolate the plugins, of course you need two power in, in order to switch them separate. It is very cold here, tomorrow it is supposed to have -40 below wind chill. good news is by friday its going back up to +28 degs
Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #878

Yeah Terry , it's gonna be a regular heat wave!!
Dang , I wish I was back in Death Valley,,,,,,,,best winter I ever had.

I was outside hooking up a Batt charger to the starter battery this morning , only out for 5 minutes or so , just about froze my n*** off
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #879

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, Terry the windows really look good! The before and after pic will be so cool! Gordon, the tar paper story made me remember when i put a lean-to off of the side of my garage, to park my MH under. The same thing, the weather got nasty before i got it roofed! So, doubled up on the tar paper, got the swing stapler going, and do not know how many staples i put on it! By the time the weather got nice enough to put the roofing on, the tar paper was everywhere but on the roof!!!! What a mess! Everyone stay warm, Frost bite is no joke!! Rail!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:21 AM   #880

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Popeye, stay warm up there in Maine, this kind of cold is dangerous, you still in your RV? Rail, I spent 18 months in a tropical paradise, trouble is people kept shooting at me ! I have a goal of completing something on the TH everyday, sometimes things just take off and it goes smooth and I get a bunch done other days its a struggle. yesterday was a struggle day. I have been testing circuits, I use a 12v bat to test all the circuits even the 110v. Its a low voltage way to test the integrity of the wiring, before I hook up the power center. Gordon, I got some of my 12 volt switches in the mail yesterday, a nice four panel switch that I am putting in the upper cabinet as you walk in the door, it will control the outside light, two rows of inside coach lights, and the fourth swtch is for the outside light on the other side of the TH.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #881

Mo pichers,mo pichers please.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #882

love the progress... great pictures....

Keep up the good work...

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote