Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #883

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi guys, Norman, I'll try to get some more pics up, some of the work isn't what you call photogenic. Oakcreek, Thanks!, Sorting out wiring and seeing where it has to go, before I can install wall panels, takes alot of time, trying to do it once .

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #884

Winnebago Owners Club
Wiring is one of those things I find you cannot have too much of. No matter how much you put in you will always find the need for just one more plug or switch. At some point you have to say 'enough' and stop for practical reasons. You will never have enough plugs but that is why they build extension cords.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #885

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, I think when planning something like this is to figure out what are you "really" going to do with it. From the start of this project we really just needed a place to sleep and relax after riding the area that we are parked in, and if the weather is bad someplace to stay, and or move on in relative comfort. It has, I think, changed our way of thinking, (The forum also) to maybe something that we might like to pursue in the future as a way to escape winter cold ect. But we would need a different rig to do that comfortably, This one, I hope when done, will do the job it was intended to do, then we will see. This morning walking out to work I had to snap this pic, the moon was so big and brite and looked so cold (it was) Th was nice and warm though, one 1500 watt heater keeps it between 60 and 65degs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0107150707.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	82881  
Old 01-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #886

Terry
That shot with the moon is very nice.
I notice you have less snow than here (about 6" on the ground now)!
The plow blade looks lonely!
Wish I was closer I'd be happy to help with your wiring, my life has been spent wiring, I was a touring concert sound system engineer .Built my first radio when I was 12. A little RV is a breeze compared to that stuff! (Don't forget to run speaker wiring!!)

Yeah , I"ll probably be in the rig for the duration.
I just saw on the Nat news that the cold goes all the way down to the gulf......4* in Nashville ! Probably would have been a waste of fuel to go there this winter !!
I see it's nice in Yuma 75*, Death Valley is usually warm too , no matter how cold the rest of the country gets. ( It did get down to day highs in the high 40s when I was there back in "07) At this time , it's 63*, high today 68*.
My music biz travels turned me into a lifelong snowbird many years ago, I've lived on wheels fulltime since the early 80s.

No AC other than the Honda 2K so am using propane , keeps me a little warmer but the condensation is a pain. Walls on this thing are only around an inch or so.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #887

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Popeye, I can imagine how it is, many yrs ago I spent several winters in a logging camp in a TT. My father was living in a FW and did for 10 or 12 yrs moving from log job to log job. Thanks for the offer, it just takes me longer doing this as I go (no plans really) We had alot of snow in one storm lost power and all that stuff (normal for here) then it got very warm and it all melted, very strange winter this year, most years we start getting snow and it just keeps adding up until march. Condensation is possibly the biggest pain in the RV, most just are not made for cold. Temp here as I type this is -8 and the wind is steady around 15 to 20 gusting to 40 or so. I live pretty high up so we get alot of wind ect. Stay safe and warm.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #888

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Great pic, Terry! When the front windows in the bed room get put in, that will be the last of them, right? It sure makes it look better with the windows in and light shining out! Heating with one 1500w heater is really good, as that is heating the whole TH, since you do not have the wall separating it yet! That is great in as cold weather as you have right now!! Keep up the great work! Rail!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #889

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Can't wait to see the finished product! I have an old 24' fifth wheel frame and you may have inspired me to make a hauler out of it. I won't give up the Excel, but I need something to haul everything else in!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 AM   #890

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Mornng, Rail, Yes two more to go, the bedroom windows are it for windows, just waiting for the cold to let up a little. We still have some more small things to put in the sides. I think the TH is easier to heat then my house! When done I would have no problem staying in it in cold weather. EMD, I also have an extra frame, I am going to build a cargo trailer when this one is done, can't have enough trailers around.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #891

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Gordon, I think when planning something like this is to figure out what are you "really" going to do with it. From the start of this project we really just needed a place to sleep and relax after riding the area that we are parked in, and if the weather is bad someplace to stay, and or move on in relative comfort. It has, I think, changed our way of thinking, (The forum also) to maybe something that we might like to pursue in the future as a way to escape winter cold ect. But we would need a different rig to do that comfortably, This one, I hope when done, will do the job it was intended to do, then we will see. This morning walking out to work I had to snap this pic, the moon was so big and brite and looked so cold (it was) Th was nice and warm though, one 1500 watt heater keeps it between 60 and 65degs.
Hi Terry;
A most welcoming picture. I can see this sitting on grass amongst trees or on sand (when you head south).

IMO you will have a great place to snow bird in. I know folks who do with smaller units and not as well built.

I think the fundamental problem with us is we have this innate desire to improve. Our imaginations are our biggest enemy as we keep thinking of new things or devices to make ourselves more comfortable. We do not like to be closed in so more space is always going to be a goal.

I believe the desire or ability to improve our accommodations is one of the things that keeps us going. There is nothing like the sense of pride with the accomplishment of change. The forum has many threads dealing with improvement and I can feel the sense of pride felt when folks publish what they have done. As well they should.

I hope both you and Eleanor have the same feeling of accomplishment. You both should be proud of what you have done to date and what you will have when you are done. IMO very few will look at it and think it was not commercially done. Only when you show pictures will they believe you.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #892

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Mornng, Rail, Yes two more to go, the bedroom windows are it for windows, just waiting for the cold to let up a little. We still have some more small things to put in the sides. I think the TH is easier to heat then my house! When done I would have no problem staying in it in cold weather. EMD, I also have an extra frame, I am going to build a cargo trailer when this one is done, can't have enough trailers around.
Do I see Possibly a Stacker trailer ? How long?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #893

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, I think thats very true, most want to do something better than the last, or improve on what they have, human nature I guess. I have already thought about what if I put a slide in on the kitchen side, (maybe something to do later). When someone here on the forum says they like something we have done, it does mean something and when I say Thanks! it is meant also. I decided to post this project not to brag look at me, but to truely get suggestions and advise on what I am doing..... it has fulfilled that expectation and then some, and to all that have and will contribute Thanks! Tim, If they would only allow us to pull doubles (I do have that endorsment) I could build another trailer to put somthing in, oh the possibilities.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #894

Would a small dehumidifier like some use in basements up north kept in the TH be viable? Just use when needed.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #895

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi HH, I actually have a dehumidifier that I have tried to use, it (at least mine) freezes up if the temp is not warm enough, or maybe it's too dry inside the TH, I use electric heaters so not alot of moisture is generated. If Popeye had electric it would be great for him. No luck on a MH yet?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #896

After we checked out the 1991 & I saw the amount of water damage she laid down the law. Pay off my credit card & then purchase a newer MH. That 31ft had water damage at the cab over, bedroom exit window, & the worst was behind the frig. Damage roof vent to floor & looked like floor damage also. Infact, she said a new one set up exactly like we want it if need be.

« Goooodmorning!!! | - »