Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #911

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Frank, I need all the info I can get, How large an area do you think realisticly do you need, in one or two compartments?

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #912

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Realistically you need all the storage space that you can find. If you look at most 5ers, they have storage under the entire upstairs. Most have their propane tanks upfront sometimes one on either side, then a large compartment on the curb side, sometimes with a pass thru to a smaller door on the street side. Then a compartment on the frontside, a lot of them use this space for the built in generator, If you are going to a couple shows, then just look at the compartments of the 5ers and toy haulers to give you an idea. Weekend trips are not as big a problem as those 2 to 8 week jaunts that are hundred or thousands of miles from home, where you need to bring more stuff to be comfortable. That being said, a lot depends on how you structured your upstairs. Did you build your bathroom at bedroom floorlevel, or did you drop it to the rest of the units floorlevel? This is how the manufacturers get the big storage space. So how much room you will have, depends on how you framed the floor.
Frank

Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #913

Ok, I just went back and looked at your build, I don't think that you have any room for compartments upfront, other than your propane tanks. The area that I am talking about is right behind the front leg of the awning below the bedroom floor level. So any other compartment will infringe on your living space, you would have to build a box with an access door on the outside. You might be able to build a small box on either side of the propane tanks on the outside of the landing gear, if there is any room there.
Frank
Old 01-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #914

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, Lets see if I can describe my 5ers layout, basicly (and I would change this, but can't now) if you have ever seen an old 5th wheel this is it, I have two levels, the bedroom and the rest of the coach, the bath is on the same level as the rest of the coach, in the front (not built yet) on ether side of the landing gear is where my 30lb propane tanks go, in between the landing gear is where my battery bank is going , I don't have those measurements here but they are at least 4 ft between the legs, that will be enclosed with doors to access, that pretty well takes up the front area. Moving back under the coach area I have approx. 3ft that I could put a box on both sides, then the black tank, then the gray, of course fresh is inside.then my axles then more space (can't remember how much) but I don't want to go low here because of clearance. My genset will be mounted inside on the side of the bed of the TV. So I think I have built myself in a corner here, this is certainly one thing I would change, I probably would have totaly revamped the 5th wheel area lowering it and putting another frame 18 to 20 inches above the existing frame, making a basement under the entire length of the trailer. Hindsite is 20/20. So with this in mind I am certainly open to any suggestions from one and all. I can take any pics and try to explain any questions. Frank, I love this type of problem solving, if it was easy I wouldn't be doing it.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #915

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Terry,
With your build at the point that it is at, can you possibly build a "Basement" of 3-4' in the corner, between the bedroom level and the rest of the flooring? In the same basic place that most other fifth wheels have it. You could make it half the height difference of the bedroom level and just make steps up to it, the basement be a landing and more steps up to the bedroom.

The part of the basement roof that is not a walkway could have storage, accessible from both the bedroom and the lower level on the other side.

Just a thought.

Edit: I just looked at the last pic you posted and my idea would have to go between the entrance door and the forward bulkhead.
EMD_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #916

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
EMD, That could be an area, it would be small because as you said the door is close, I think there is 18 to 20 something inches there, then you have the stairs that would be in the way of the kitchen, even though the 5er is 35 ft, I only have 13 ft to put living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Are we having fun yet .
Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #917

I saw that Terry, I'm sorry that I am a little late on my thinking to help you, but I would use that 3' space as much as I could, then you will just have to make do. Once you start using it frequently, you will find many things that you would change. Living full time in one really opens your eyes on space usage. You would not believe what I have packed into my 30'er. you will find out that you will want to add that slide out as soon as you can to give you the additional interior space. What you are doing will be great for short durations, what I am talking about is for 3 to 6 month continuous usage.
Frank
Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #918

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Looking at that last pic you posted again, I still think you could build a storage compartment forward of the axles. I know you were concerned with clearance, but there is a whole lot of room down there. Having towed three different fifth wheels, I would feel confident putting one in that area of yours. It would be bolted to the frame, so it would be secure. You could even rhino-line it if you wanted!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #919

Terry, I think that I agree with EMD, if you keep the bottom of the box at or slightly above the centerline of the wheels I believe that you could build a box all the way to landing gear without clearance problems. In fact you could go clear across and have access from both sides. You wouldn't need to keep it as 1 big compartment. but maybe split it into 2. With your fabricating skills, it won't be a problem for you. My underpinnings on my 5er are at the centerline of the wheels and I have not scrapped it and also have the sewer drain lines, generator exhaust and 4" pvc sewer hose container that hangs down below the bottom of the floor. So I am positive that you will not have a problem going to the center of the wheels as your low point forward to the landing gear, this will give you a ton of storage room.
Frank
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #920

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks Frank.

Actually, I had two boxes in mind. One ahead of the door and one behind it. I figured he might want to put two pieces of PVC under the area behind the steps. They would be accessible from the other side and could be used for sewer hoses. Check it out...

Edit: Forgive the different size/shape tires I used. The tire place was running a closeout sale and I got what I could!

Edit 2: Oops, I accidentally deleted a window too!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #921

Excellent EMD, perfect drawing and yes, that is even better than what I had in mind, I forgot about the sewer tubing for sewer hose storage. That is funny about the tire size, hahahaha!!!!!!
Frank
Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #922

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers

Looks like there would be plenty of room...
Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #923

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
EMD, That could be an area, it would be small because as you said the door is close, I think there is 18 to 20 something inches there, then you have the stairs that would be in the way of the kitchen, even though the 5er is 35 ft, I only have 13 ft to put living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Are we having fun yet .
Looking at the last picture you posted it would leave you just enough room to add the propane tanks and battery bank between the door and forward bulkhead. At least that is what it looks like to my eye.

Hanging a box under the frame between the landing gear and front axle could be an option. What is the distance from the frame to the ground between the landing gear and the axle. If you had about 12" of clearance midway it may be sufficient to clear most curbs, etc but you would have to be careful. Especially if you were going boon docking.

I checked our 5er and the frame is about 17" above the ground.

I think I asked this question before but how tall is the unit inside? Is there room to build a loft in the toybox from the inside door toward the back for about 8'? This would be OK for lawn chairs etc.

Stinky slinky - Hang a 8" sewer pipe underneath. This size will enable you to leave the ends on when storing.

Water hose and power cord could go on the TV?

All is not lost. You are not full timing so you do not need all of your possesions. There are a few things you need such as power cord, chairs, stinky slinky to successfully camp. Generator would be on the TV when you decide you want one.

You could build shelving at the front above the bikes. I added shelves in ours. They are 12" deep. There is another set on the other side of the door. They hold a lot of stuff including pantry type items. Bungee cords across the front keep stuff from jumping onto the floor.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1809.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	83028
This was plumbed for washer/dryer but decided to put shelves in as an interim measure. Going to sell the 5er so no more changes.

I suggest you sit down with Eleanor and compile a list of must have's and would likes that will need to be carried in addition to bedding, clothing, pots and pans, etc. That will give you the amount storage outside of the living area you will have to find.

A bed frame with a flip up base will allow you to store a lot of stuff under the bed (bedding, clothing, shoes, warm clothing, cool clothing, etc).

Just brainstorming. What would happen if you moved the 5 wheel back behind the wheels? You could gain some space in front of the landing gear to build a cabinet. Not a good idea IMO. Would not let a standard 5 wheel haul the trailer. Not a good idea to put the 5 wheel behind the axle even though I believe the Caddy could carry it.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #924

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - can you hand a "hose reel" on the wall of the toybox to hang the power cord.

Are you planning on 50 or 30 amp power? A really good 50 amp cord will be easy to coil.