Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #925

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Thanks Frank.

Actually, I had two boxes in mind. One ahead of the door and one behind it. I figured he might want to put two pieces of PVC under the area behind the steps. They would be accessible from the other side and could be used for sewer hoses. Check it out...

Edit: Forgive the different size/shape tires I used. The tire place was running a closeout sale and I got what I could!

Edit 2: Oops, I accidentally deleted a window too!
Good diagram. Fully understandable. The pipes where shown will be max of 5.5' +/- because steps will need space under the door.

Those tires look a lot like the ones I have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #926

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Don't forget on the street side you need to leave enough room for the holding tank dump and access to the valves. So the box that EMD shows on the street side will have to be somewhat smaller to leave room for the dump. Other than that, I think EMD has hit the nail on the proverbial head with his suggestion, I will measure mine tomorrow and let you know how high I am off the ground.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #927

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
All good idea's, but in the drawing Emd did, he showed wheel well's, which The TH does not have, so the boxes can be wider! Very good idea about the hose holder, I made one for the old Shasta Class A I had, forgot about the ends, and what a PIA to take them off and put them back on every time! So make sure you get a PVC big enough so the end's fit in too!! Also, Terry, you can draw a line from the bottom of the tire on the rear to the bottom of the rear door, and make a box that will fit in that area too!
One more thought, about the door and the wall in between the two areas, have you thought about a pocket door? It would take up no space when open, and could be secured with a nice latch to hold it closed! I had them in the old Victorian farm house I had, very nice! And you can make it what ever size you want, to really open up the area, if that is what you want to do! There, with all those suggestions, that should have your brain smoking for awhile! Hehehehehe!! Rail!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #928

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Afternoon, Gordon, Wow I think your right, I know there are things that I would do different, I keep telling Eleanor that the next one will be better, she laughs alot. I now have some very different thoughts on what to build. I would have to put together a team of experienced RV'ers to brain storm on what to put in. It would be a rush thats for sure. Bap, nuthing wrong with small, I kinda like those old shastas and tear drops myself. Frank, Thinking always gets me in trouble , just ask DW. I haven't thought alot about storage compartments, I did at first and just hate to cut more holes in the side for doors, so then there is the possiblity of attaching under the TH's body, that is really the only way I think to go, I need a place to store, dump hoses, electric leads ect. I guess I have to think about this sooner or later, you do bring up a good point . I have yet to build the TV's hauler body, there will be compartments in that too. Any suggestions anyone? That pic was just as I was walking out around 6:00am I had allready been out to the TH to get the heaters going and was walking back out, it was real cold and the moon just kinda hung there, looked kinda lonely.

"I have yet to build the TV's hauler body, there will be compartments in that too."

I'm not sure what you mean by Tv Hauler?
How about a cabinet that the TV comes up & out.
Is that what you meant by Hauler?
Are you planing on installing more of those skinny windows? They are so neat.
How's the coffee this morning?
Looking good,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #929

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Sorry guys fell asleep last night, EMD, good computer skills, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Really great ideas, today I will take my measurements, and some pics to finalize our plans for storage. One of my shortcomings is tunnel vison, I get going and sometimes forget there are other "things" to do also. Great catch Frank Thanks. Rail, I love pocket doors, I put one in the master bath to save room, I have thought about the doing one in the TH, I might do a "modified" one because that wall is a major structural component so I don't want to weaken it by making it hollow. I don't want to put anymore weight behind the wheels until I weigh the TH, to get hard figures. Gordon I am going with a "modified" 30 amp system, still in the planning stages. I am appox. 7' 6" ft inside so I could build a loft for storage in the garage area. My 5th wheel is behind the axle on the caddy, that is becoming the norm on MDT's & HDT's and will be installing an air 5th wheel to lessin the impact on the 5er frame. Wow great ideas all, I have got to process this and see where it will all fit in. Thanks .
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #930

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Morning Tim, was typing when you posted, The "TV" is the Tow Vehicle, I am building a body on the back of the International MDT that I use to tow with. Sorry no more skinny windows . Two more in the bedroom but they are "normal" ones. Coffee is very good this am, I really need it too, I am on my third cup already .
Old 01-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #931

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

Instead of a pocket door how about a modified sliding barn door? You could put a light panel in it to keep the inside lighter and possibly reduce the weight of another door by using a plexi glass frosted or not. Could make it out of aluminum maybe, spray insulate around frame for insulation, again reducing the weight.

You could figure that out real easy considering what you have done already. Eleanor could also customize some painting on the framework. Black and white checker, orange and black checker. Do one side one way and the other side another

You could make it removable to if you needed to. If you make it out of a material like a table, you could have legs to add and make a table for outside. Double duty.

OK, enough, things are looking great either way. Have a great day, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #932

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ok, I got some pics, the landing gear area, I haven't touched yet, as I said, that is my propane tanks on both sides and in between the landing gear is where the battery bank is going. I put a couple of pic of the front, both sides, I have 21" from the bottom of the frame to the ground. More info for you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0110151000.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	83043   Click image for larger version

Name:	0110151001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	83044  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0110151002a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	83045  
Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #933

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry;
IMO a regular closing door between the living area and the garage is best. I think you need a door that seals. Any odor etc generated by the bikes can be isolated and kept in the garage. I do not think you have any plans to heat or cool the garage so something that seals is better.

I agree that the wall should be structural. You could build a hollow wall that would carry the stress but it could be several inches thicker and reduce your living space.

The swinging door in our 5er can be a pain at times. It bumps into one of the chocks but still opens to 90 degrees. Can be a pain if I load something up against it when traveling but I normally use the back man door anyway when accessing garage to check the bikes.

From the photos it looks like you will have ample height to build a belly compartment. You can incorporate the water and holding tanks in the belly and incorporate the dump valves. Will be tight but I think it might be possible to insulate that part.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #934

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
The outside floor of my storage compartment is 17" off the ground, the sewer hose holder is 12" off the ground and is 1/2 way between the landing gear and the front axle. If you keep your boxes 11 1/2 to 12" from the ground, you will be good. Like I said before if you are even with the center of the wheels, you won't have any clearance problems. My dump line for my holding tanks starts out 11" of ground clearance 1/2 way between the landing gear and front axle and ends up just before the front tire on the street side about 6" off the ground, and I haven't hit it yet.
My sewer hose holder is 4", and the fittings fit, but just barely, 6" will give you plenty of clearance, use screw on end rather than a slip on for obvious reasons.
Remember that you can build a stepdown in the compartment if the frame hangs down lower than the rest of the floor.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #935

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Hi Lynne welcome to the design team , I have to check, but I saw something in Lowes like what you are saying, as far as a barn style sliding door for inside of a S&B, I don't know how or if they seal. because Gordon brought up a very good point in sealing off the garage from the coach because of possible fuel and oil smells, and heating and cooling. Gordon, I think your right, I should be able to insulate the top of the storage compartments / bottom of the holding tanks killing two birds so to speak, I would not have to use very thick insulation because of the air pocket between. With all the measurements you guys have given me, I should be able to fabricate the boxes in the shop, and hang them this spring when I install the holding tanks. Frank those last measurements are great, Thanks everyone!! Now about that door/picnic table...........
Old 01-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #936

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

My Dad was always trying to create new camping things that did double duty. I was mostly at his side and sometimes the mind wonders. I think you could still slide the door and seal it too. With your skills you could play with it and make it work.

Dad made this camping wagon (we had a tent) and the wagon carried all our food, became the cook stove kitchen, and wood storage. He was always improving it. Mom was cooking one day and got wet, Dad figured out how to make a roof for the thing and when not raining became a table.

He would tinker and ticker until he figured out how to make it do what he wanted. People used to tell him he couldn't make it work and he did.

During WWII he was a crew chief. They had a problem with getting the bombers in the air over target and the mechanism for dropping the bombs would fail. Dad figured it out and after that they sent the bombers to him to fix the problem.

There is always a way to fix it to work for you. I come up with some pretty strange ideas sometimes but can often make it work. It was just an idea.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #937

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Lynne, I liked the idea, (both actually, sliding door and the table door) me and Eleanor have been kicking it around with different thoughts, I too like something that has more than one use. I think I can make it seal, heck they seal whole slidng rooms so why not a little door? Your Dad sounds like a very interesting fellow, My father also would make all sorts of things. Its where I learned to weld and fabricate, he was a lifelong 3rd generation logger, (old school) built several truck bodies ect. Our parents came from a generation that was not "do it for me" but did for themselves and didn't think twice about it. We need more people like them now. JMHO. So keep those "strange ideas coming" you never know. Have a good night.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #938

Winnebago Owners Club
We had sliding barn door on the barn at home. We used turnbuckles to pull the door tight against the wall. A friend has a sliding door on his shop cause he has big doors. He uses chain tightener type locks to pull the door against the building.

The only other issue with a sliding door is you have to keep the track clear for the door to roll. It is similar to a pocket door except for being on the outside.