Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #939

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good Afternoon, Hi Lynne welcome to the design team , I have to check, but I saw something in Lowes like what you are saying, as far as a barn style sliding door for inside of a S&B, I don't know how or if they seal. because Gordon brought up a very good point in sealing off the garage from the coach because of possible fuel and oil smells, and heating and cooling. Gordon, I think your right, I should be able to insulate the top of the storage compartments / bottom of the holding tanks killing two birds so to speak, I would not have to use very thick insulation because of the air pocket between. With all the measurements you guys have given me, I should be able to fabricate the boxes in the shop, and hang them this spring when I install the holding tanks. Frank those last measurements are great, Thanks everyone!! Now about that door/picnic table...........
Did not think of the gap between the frame and the compartment. How difficult would it be to close the area in between the compartment and the underside of the floor?

If it could be closed in the heat from the compartment would keep the floor warm and vis versa.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #940

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

You've seen how they have those big glass doors (down in warm states) that all slide back and open the room to the outdoors? You know, where there are 3 or 4 doors and they all slide away to leave the wall gone and only outdoors.

I think this kind of a mechanism could work here. They basically pop tightly into a frame that seals them. So, you have the door sliding into place and can leave it open when the back is open for a cross breeze.

If you make it a table, the legs could fold down on the garage side of the door but still be hidden around the frame. Could still put a glass type panel in the door for light. I get what Gordon means about sealing out smells. What is great about this thread is that one person comes up with an idea, another points out the problems, and someone else helps work through it before you invest your time and money into implementing it.

Kind of like your cardboard kitchen to see how that was going to work.

An idea about the basement storage. Are you and Eleanor going to want the items you put in there in plastic containers? If so, might want to buy the containers and make the storage around them. That way they will fit snug. Also, the sizes of these change every so often in the stores. You could measure in the store, build it at home, go back to store and not be able to find the storage system you want.

Just a thought! Yeah, my Dad and Mom were both great parents. Dad came up with some cool things. I still have some of them. Got some marshmellow cookers my Dad made that will be the first thing I put in my MH when I get it.

Keep up the good work, I am hoping to meet with you when you all meet. I want my MH by then because it really isn't too far for me and Jerry.

Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #941

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Hi Gordon, I'm still thinking on the door........did find all types of seals for sliding doors, a bifold is also a possiblity, just thinking. Closing the gap under the TH should not be difficult at all, if you start at the front and seal the edges, basicly create a false bottom, to put the storage boxes up to. Lynne, yep I know the type of doors you talk about, Rail might even have them in Thailand, Not a bad idea to purchase the containers first. Yes there are good problem solvers here, Frank came up with something I forgot and in two days I think we got it figured out . Lynne, that would be great if you get your MH and can meet up with us.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #942

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We had sliding barn door on the barn at home. We used turnbuckles to pull the door tight against the wall. A friend has a sliding door on his shop cause he has big doors. He uses chain tightener type locks to pull the door against the building.

The only other issue with a sliding door is you have to keep the track clear for the door to roll. It is similar to a pocket door except for being on the outside.
X-2, Gordon, my pole barn that I parked my semi in had the same thing, a turn buckle, a hook and eye, and a flip down lever to tighten it up! you could adjust it very tight, and it also had rubber seals! Worked very well!
For the boxes, you can always get or make slide out trays, to make everything easy to get to. Rail!
Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #943

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Rail, good point, I will look into slides, I was looking into slides for my battery bank. I always liked the idea of sliding trays, I had them on a road service truck and it was very handy. Have a great day all
Old 01-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #944

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Morning Tim, was typing when you posted, The "TV" is the Tow Vehicle, I am building a body on the back of the International MDT that I use to tow with. Sorry no more skinny windows . Two more in the bedroom but they are "normal" ones. Coffee is very good this am, I really need it too, I am on my third cup already .
Every day I learn something on this site...
Owell its a idea for your TV - Television
I with ya, third mug this AM,
Thanks for the chuckle,
Tim,
ps we are @ +4 degrees and no W/C
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #945

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Mornig Tim, I'm with you I also learn something everyday on here. Weather has been (I think) unusual over most of the country this year, I have seen where the schools have been closed in your state quite a few times, is that "normal"? We started today at +2degs now its 23degs funny how 23degs can feel warm. Since I retired in April we seem to go thru alot more coffee, I wonder why that is ?, just don't ask DW she has her own opinion .
Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #946

Winnebago Owners Club
Coffee - do stupid stuff faster with more energy.

A sliding door that easily comes off to make a table will have to have a way of securing during travel. What works in a S&B will not be directly applicable to a TH bouncing down the road.

I found a couple times the back end had enough bounce to break a pair of 600 lb rachet straps I used to cinch the bike down. I travel with 6 straps on each bike to keep them from falling over (plus the chocks).

This is our last day of -23. Tomorrow 75.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #947
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Terry,

I've been lurking here and watching with great interest. Always interested to see how someone else solves a problem. Going to wrestle with installing a double din radio where a single din is. Kind of pales to what you are doing though.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #948

Since I retired in April we seem to go thru alot more coffee, I wonder why that is ?, just don't ask DW she has her own opinion .

Let me check with DW to see what my opinion is.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #949

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Gordon , this is true, I don't need a door bouncing around with the bikes, There are some new tie down straps that I have sold to customers that readjust themselves as the bike bounces havent't tried them myself but the ones I sold they liked them, I want to say they were 1500 lb rating. Wow nice that you get to go back to Yuma, best part, alls okay now. You must be flying, (I would, way faster) have a good trip, be safe. Hi PushedAround, Wecome Aboard!, chime in anytime, good luck with the radio. HH, I try to not ask sometimes what my opinion is I allready know. . I'm putting a new counter top on the kitchen counter before I install it, I'll post pics later if I get it done today.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #950

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes we are flying. Up at 4, leave at 5, check in at 6:30, fly at 8, land at 10, Yuma at 2, nap at 3, happy hour at 4, dinner at 6, nap at 7, bed at 10. Another day in the books!!! LOL

Am interested in the straps that readjust. Any information would be welcome as I was not aware there was something like that available. My bike is 900 lbs so tends to work the straps loose for whatever reason. Even in the triaxle with torsion suspension. After about 3 times they seem to stay. I continue to monitor every time we stop. Handy to have direct access through a man door.

Janets bike is 1100 but being a trike is easy to tie down. We tie the front end down and throw straps over the rear tires and leave the back end bounce. It stays very stable.

The spring suspension in the 5er was obviously rougher than the torsion. Worst I think is the side to side caused by older roads that have lost the shape or been patched. With modern computer controlled equipment I wonder why the road patching is deteriorating. Topic for another thread.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #951

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, Love the itinerary, will be a tough day. I used to be a Parts Unlimited dealer and I am still a Bikers Choice/Tucker Rocky Dealer but guess what, I used to get the straps I mentioned at PU and BC don't carry them, but here is a link on where you should be able to get them (or at least research) Motorcycle Wheel Chocks - Lock 'N Load Canada (see where they are located?) I thought I would put a camera in the garage area that I could keep an eye on the bikes real time. I almost got the counter done it is sitting with clamps all over it waitng to set, see what tomorrow brings. I put new wood on top along with new laminate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0111151133.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	83148   Click image for larger version

Name:	0111151317.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	83149  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0111151607.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	83150  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #952

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looking good Terry, I think you are wise in putting new wood on under the laminate.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote