Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:56 AM   #1093

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning all, Rail, we have all been there at one time or another, I call those times a "comedy of errors" when everything you do leads to something else going wrong, got a good chuckle remembering some that I've had. I lived in a logging camp for a few winters, where you would wake up with snow on the blankets and break ice, inside the cabin to get coffee water, snowed in for a few weeks and stacking logs as high as you could to keep working, that winter when it thawed out, some of the stumps were four feet off the ground. No wonder we dislike winters now.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #1094

Rail,,,,Sounds just like my '70 Dodge pickup
Yeah I don't miss these Maine winters.......when I'm not here!
(Which , I'm not , well , in my mind anyway.)
Terry, go bionic.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #1095
bap

about the doors freezing shut,,,,,here like this morning we have rain but its below freezing,,,i take vasoline and smear it around the rubber seals that way when the rain hits and freezes it wont freeze the seals,,u can also lube your key up and run it threw your lock,,,so it wont freeze,,,,,,works for me....but heck u guys waaay up there probably know all the tricks now...lol
Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #1096

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Popeye, sounds like you got more (snow) coming your way, we're getting it tonight, your tomorrow or sat. Bap, I always had a little butane torch in my pocket, when I had the auto shop, we would get calls about "I can't get my door unlocked", so we would go and thaw out their locks, one guy handed me a valet key, it was that soft aluminum, took out my little torch, (I always held the key with pliers) and melted it , oops. It was his only key, he also had left his other keys inside the car, had to get out the slim jim and unlock it that way. Doesn't happen so much anymore with key fobs and auto locks.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #1097

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We got freezing rain the other night. When I went to open the engine cover in front the locks were frozen tighter than Tobe's be-@x*%#. I have been turning the Batteries off when not in her.
Took out the old Zippo, heated the key and wala it unlocked.
I have never heard of the Vaseline trick, but won't that attract all the sand/dust come summer time?
I think I am going with a little Blue Painters tape over the lock???
Maybe that will do the trick.
Good Coffee this Am. have to go get a re-fill,
Later Guy's,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #1098
bap

nope,,just takes a little really,,,never hurt anything i ever had,,,and by the time it gets good weather around here you never even no it was on there..
Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #1099

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Been a little busy, I have date for my knee surgery, March 4th I am having my knee replaced. So I've got to get busy with the TH to try and get something done. This week coming up will be tuff to do we are expecting below 0* temps and up to -35* wind chills, I'm not sure what I will be able to do, we'll see.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #1100

Winnebago Owners Club
That is great news Terry.

You know what you can do and that there will be a layoff for a while once your knee is replaced.

If it is going to be tight perhaps working on the bedroom would be a priority. We converted a bus years ago and once the bedroom and furnace was in we were able to go camping. We used the bus for skiing and for the first year we cooked our meals on a campstove, carried water in jugs and used a porta potty.

Can you get the bikes in and tied down, sleep, eat and ??
Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #1101

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, With a little more work I could get the bikes in, I need to put the supporting walls in, before what I would call it road ready, I have a porta potty that goes in the sleeper of the TV, If the weather would cooperate and I have the materials I could get alot done, I ordered some electrical parts today,an auto transfer switch, more light switches, (I'm taking your suggestion on lots of switches), I'm still researching what inverters that I want, I'm going with two, one pure sine 1000 watt to run a few things, and a bigger one 3000 watt (modified) to run the rest. then all the fuses and monitor panels, and wiring, and oh my . I've been going slow on this because its not cheap, and want to make sure it all works together the first time. And while I'm assembling all this I know I will be adding solar at some point so that is thrown in for good measure. And there is as many ways to do this as experts to tell you and they all differ, and I don't think there is any right or wrong so to speak just different styles.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #1102

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,

Maybe you will come up with a better way of doing solar after you look at all the others ways. Sometimes you are working on something and you look at it and a light bulb goes off and you find a better way. As deep as you are going with this, that would not surprise me at all.

Either way, the knee replacement will slow you down a while and then you will be right back at it. The great news is it will be warmer then and easier to be out there working.

Have a great day and keep safe always! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #1103

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Lynne, I spend quite a few nights on You Tube looking at other peoples way of doing something, there are thousands of videos on whatever you want to do, sometimes I say to myself that guy is full of you know what, and sometimes it gives an idea, of course sometimes I get off track and see a video of a car chase or something and watch that instead . It didn't take me long to be up and around doing stuff the last time, thats one reason I wanted to bypass all the other stuff because it just delays the inevitable, I got things to do!! fix it so I can darn it . The cold has slowed me alot more than I want to admit, so I think when it gets warmer I will pick up steam and your right, I'll be ready then. have a good night.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #1104

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
Sorry to hear that you have to get the knee done, but happy to hear that it will be soon. Good luck with that, and tell Eleanor that she always has us to lean on if she needs to bend someone's ear.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #1105

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Denatured alcohol is the best thing to use in a frozen lock. No water in it (like rubbing alcohol) leaves no residue and cleans the grime out. For lubricant only use graphite (best) or pure silicon spray. Neither will gum up the works.

My grandfather was a locksmith showed me a thing or two. NEVER put a petroleum based product in a lock unless you thoroughly clean it afterward.
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #1106

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best of luck to you. Whats the recovery time for something like that?
Prayers to you and the wife.
I usually have a hair dryer to use when the locks freeze but left it in the S&B. I have 2 so I'll leave one in the MH just for that. I also Carrie a few extra extension cord's.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote