Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #1135

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
[QUOTE=Harley1994;2411385 ok say I go with one inverter do I need another transfer switch? and if so where do I wire it in?. Good Afternoon HH.[/QUOTE]

I can see a need to isolate the solar system to prevent feedback. Is that done via the solar controler?

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #1136

Terry, sorry but I can't make out the wiring schematic. Just too small for me to make out.

A solar controller only allows voltage to pass in one direction. And each solar panel should have a small box on the underside which contains a blocking diode which only allows voltage to flow in one direction.

Now, about the inverters. Pure sine wave is better for running some things then a modified sine wave. Just because you plug something like an electric refrigerator into a modified sine wave inverter doesn't mean it will immediately go bad.
I have a tiny little frig I got for free. Ran it two hours on the pure, then two on the modified, then two more on the pure sine wave inverter. It just didn't seem to care. Running days or weeks on the modified could hurt it though in theory.
My thought was simply that if the pure sine wave goes out I can simply use the modified sine wave till the pure sine wave can be replaced. And under Murphy's Law, it would go out when needed most, middle of a storm. $100 for that Cobra modified sine wave inverter to me was a good investment as a back up.
Also, keep in mind that with two inverters turned on, even if nothing is on from them, both are drawing power just from being in standby mode.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #1137

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi HH, Thanks for the tips, its always fun figuring all this out.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #1138

Another option Terry is a pure sine wave to operate everything. Then a pure sine wave to handle minimal usage as a back up. But I wouldn't be without a back up.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #1139

Total Rebuild

Find out how many amps that big inverter pulls just being turned on and with no loads connected. The cheap ones can suck 3 or 4 amps doing nothing! The good ones 0.05 amps at idle.

If your big inverter has a high "overhead" then you might want to consider several "point of use" inverters just for things like TVs and satellite receivers, etc. Run 12 volt wiring to the location, and have a small 300 watt inverter to power a TV. That TV might only use 100 watts, so less than 10 amps on the 12 volt wiring. Keeping the "big" inverter turned off it will save precious battery.

Or bite the bullet and get a really good inverter like a Magnum.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #1140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
HH, I'm leaning toward just using one inverter, and your right having a backup is high on the list. I know you can't see the diagram, (did you try clicking on it?) but this is maybe another try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0204151500.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	85191  
Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #1141

I still can't make it out 100% Terry.

But it looks like you are feeding either shore or generator power to the inverter. ???
Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #1142
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Total Rebuild

Your inverter/charger will have its own internal switching between providing 120v when inverting and passing 120v through when charging. It is your generator that needs the transfer switch to positively disconnect shore power when it is running. And yes, the generator will provide power to the inverter when it is running.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #1143

I don't see anything for charging the batteries from shore power or the generator. A day or three of rain & solar panels won't help a lot. You especially need to be able to charge from the generator during the day to have power at night & shut down the generator.

You have two options of power in & you want two options of charging the batteries also. JMO
Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #1144

On the theme of several days of bad weather, normally you would want to wait the weather out. With that thought in mind, somewhere you want to stash a few extra days of food even if its just cans of chunky soup or stew.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #1145
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
I don't see anything for charging the batteries from shore power or the generator. A day or three of rain & solar panels won't help a lot. You especially need to be able to charge from the generator during the day to have power at night & shut down the generator.
The same 12v wiring that carries battery power to the inverter to make 120v when dry camping will carry charging power from the inverter back to the batteries when on generator or shore power. It happens automatically with an inverter/charger.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #1146

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
HH, the shore and gen are going to the ATS (auto transfer switch), Larry, I've never had an inverter and haven't been able to really find how to install one, so I know I'm being thick about this, how does the inverter stop shore power from feeding the load center, does shore power come into the rv to the transfer switch then out to the inverter first? then route to the load center? this might sound silly to some but I've just never been involved with those systems before. HH, I originally had thought of installing a separate charger, but I can see having it built into the inverter would be better. I think . On storing extra food, you could go shopping in our house we are set for several months if need be.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #1147
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Terry, I was looking for an easy diagram but didn't see one. Essentially it is this:

The inverter/charger (which I will just call inverter here) has a limited capacity and depending on it's size can usually run only 2 or 3 120v circuits. In the typical RV, they are probably a couple of breakers that appear to be at the end of the main panel, but they are not. They are separate from the main and powered by the 120v output from the inverter. The 120v input is run to another breaker in the main panel, and the 12v is run to the batteries.

Since the main panel is fed by shore power, or generator power (through the transfer switch), the inverter also receives power, and it is internally shunted to the inverter 120v output. When the inverter 120v input senses that there is no power, it instantly disconnects and start to invert 12v to provide 120v from the output. It will only be to the couple of circuits because the main panel will be dead (no shore or generator power). Hope this helps clarify things.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #1148

Terry, while a combination inverter/charger sounds good, if one goes out you loose both.