Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #1149

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Larry, that makes more sense to me now, it sounds like I will ether need a new load center that is wired that way or set up a new sub panel for the inverter loads, the load center that I have now is not split that way, (read old 1994). HH, I originally was going to update my load center that has the old style converter, with the new style that will properly charge while on shore power, I still like that idea. Then buy an inverter that only "inverts"

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #1150

Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #1151

I have a Heart 2800 watt MSW inverter w/ a 90 amp charger built in. Almost never use it. It does have a little weight , 90 lbs.
Was thinking of pulling it to save weight !!

I am also about to add a Magnum 600 watt PSW inverter.
And just bought a Stanley 15amp Battery Charger w/ a restorer function much like the Battery Minder trickle chargers have.

Also have a 75 w Siemens panel that I got back in '01 for $600!
You should be able to find panels now for around a buck a watt or less !

A Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000e controller.
And a Link 10 meter.
both also bought back in '01

Got a piece of advice from an oldtimer boondocker while spending a month at the SKP Ranch in Lakewood NM. back in '04 when I asked about what was his fave solar panel........He replied " The RED one!"
I had done plenty of looking at all available back then and couldn't remember any that were red..... Asked him to tell me what brand it was and he said " A Honda EU 2000i genny,,,I got one in '06 and LOVE it , enough to think of taking out the 2800w MSW !

Just sayin'
Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #1152

My thought is not having specialty items that if they fail while you are on the road that a dealer has to special order it.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #1153
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
My inverter/charger failed on my maiden voyage. Lights kept getting dimmer & dimmer. Fortunately the camper next door was experienced and had a battery charger. Now I bring a 75 amp battery charger so if it should ever fail again I can run the genny if I don't have shore power and keep the batteries topped up for all of the lighting.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:00 AM   #1154

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning Everyone, First I want to say thanks to all that cleared up the muddy waters for me, What my plan is to buy the items I need when I'm laid up with my knee and install when I can move again, so I will be researching best price/unit ect. Popeye, The discussion on running a genny versus solar is one that would be best left for another time, I have read both sides, I do like quiet and not buying fuel. That being said I still will have a genny with me. HH, I have the same thought, when I was a road service mechanic I had thousands of dollars in snap on tools, but if I broke one I had to wait for the dealer to come to the shop to replace it, so I went out and bought complete sets of craftsman tools, then I could go to a local store right away while on the road. still used the snap on when in the shop tho. Larry, good idea about the bat charger.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #1155

Yup yup.
I wasn't saying ditch the solar at all.
I plan on buying some more panels now that the prices are getting lower.
They are always silently working,to a lesser degree on cloudy days depending on how dark the clouds are.
I even show a small charge when parked under a parking lot light pole!
No charge at all when covered in a foot of snow for some reason though......
Run extra big wiring to allow for voltage drop and future expansion.

I forgot to mention that soon after I got the Honda , I sold the Onan 6500w gen . That saved 305# and got a new storage comp for the Honda and a gas tank plus leveling blocks , a 12v distribution panel box , the charger and a few other things. Plus the Honda gets 5-15 hours on a gallon of gas compared to a steady 3/4 gal per hour for the Onan.
AND the neighbors like the difference in noise.....

This is what has been working for me YMMV.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #1156

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Popeye, I didn't think you was saying to get rid of the solar, personally I ran off a genny for yrs on and off, thats one reason I know hardly anything about inverters and such, big learning curve. I (like most that I know) don't have alot of money to spend trying things and finding they don't work, so I'm just trying to get a workable system up and running then later I can upgrade what needs to be, even if I don't buy "name brand" now. As long as I can find a review on it. I don't trust all the reviews, but check around and alot of times can find someone that has tried it on one of the many forums. hope the weather has eased up some up there, here it has now settled into winter, snow almost every day, most times 3 to 5 inches, very irritating. And this winter its been below "normal" temps most of the time.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #1157

I'm thinking about updating my controller and meter also as they took a little heat in the previous rig fire.

You're getting a nice mild winter compared to here.
I hear the "every day" It's getting really tedious.
I don't know about that @#$%$%$#@@ groundhog but it seems like it will be a LONG time till spring from my perspective.
I think there might be something geological going on here as there seems to be a new mountain range popping up in yhe local Walmart parking lot !!!!! Actually , everywhere I look !

Hope your OP goes smooth and we both can get a little warm weather to get back to work on our rigs.

I actually had to put a new coil in my distributor this week as it was refusing to start....not nice as the engine is one of my heat sources.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #1158

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Popeye, I hear that ground hog tastes like chicken,..... that would fix him. Just getting to have the OP is a pain, go to this dr, get an ok, go here get an ok, I have to go see three dr's plus the surgeon, then a pre op nurse meeting. so this month is just filled with stuff to do. If it goes like the left knee the end result is what I'm going for. Maybe by the time its done it will be warmer and we can go at it. Stay warm its coming your way, 1* now and supposed to go to -20* tonight, fun fun, and two dr's apointments tomorrow. But no snow until saturday .
Old 02-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #1159

Ya'll didn't need to send that cold my way again. Suppose to be 38F in the morning.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #1160

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
HH, we like to spread the joy, don't like to keep it all to ourselves
Old 02-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #1161

HH 38* !!! That's a heat wave ! How about trading low temps for a month???
OK , I'll go look , right now it's 7.5* and supposed to drop another 20* by morning when the sun MIGHT be out for a change......but like Terry said snow Saturday and I'll add the prediction for here is snow on Sun , Mon , and Tuesday too. High temps will be 15*-20*.....awwwwwwww enough already!
60" of snow in the last 2 weeks here and it just keeps comin'.

I just got an invite to work at Ruby's Inn in Utah next summer , wonder IF I can dig out in time to get there ????????? Utah gets pretty cold too , somewhat north of the Grand Canyon !
Old 02-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #1162

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Popeye, I didn't add Sun, Mon, Tues its just too crazy, maybe if you start digging and keep it up you'll get there, I not sure but I don't think its any warmer there. It didn't get as cold as they said only -7 last night, one time I'm glad they were wrong. Have a great day all