Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #1219

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Wood and I get along like peas & carrots. I used to build cabinets and furniture for a living. Also did a lot of custom fabrication in Newells and Prevost 's installing high end AV systems.

I can weld but not as pretty as I'd like. Likely due to the fact I don't do it often as I always have friends around that are better at it than I.

Honestly if I took on the VanHool it would be as a project, not my primary full time coach (at least not until it's done) and I'd gut the entire thing. The fellow that owns it did the work himself and as you can see, high & tight was not his motto with wires and plumbing.

Seen the Veranda's too. Country Coach made them around 09. One button operation. Very cool powered flag style TV mount that flips out and up from a slot in the sidewall. Will be asking them about that when I go to their shop in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Veranda.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	85864  

1992 County Coach Magna #4926 Magna Carta "Maggie"
25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Old Car Nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #1220

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Jay, I always try to accommodate . On waiting you are right, I would like to finish and use the TH before I start upgrading it. Curtis, With woodworking I am what you might call a framer or rough woodworker, I can sorta do some finish work, just not really good at it. Sounds like a good deal if you can get your DW to do the cabinets, My wife helps me quite often. I can see if your powder coating (firing up an oven) one thing you might as well do more, in the long run its just labor. Jay, sounds like that would be quite a project, can't say I had heard of those buses before. Have a good night all.

97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #1221

ARG!!!!!

The more I clean stuff for the Oven the more I find to do. It's like, I'll just do these two parts". Then just as I'm almost done with them I see two more pieces that could use a new coating too! Faded Paint and rust showing through stuff. So I hit them with the wire brush, and start cleaning. Then another piece and another! Gonna have an oven full tomorrow morning!

At least I'll have all the pieces I've always wished looked better, looking better. I can bake 10 or 20 pieces as cheaply as I can bake 2.

Just came in and I need a bath. Got rusty smelling steel dust all in my sinuses.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #1222

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
ARG!!!!!
Gonna have an oven full tomorrow morning!

At least I'll have all the pieces I've always wished looked better, looking better. I can bake 10 or 20 pieces as cheaply as I can bake 2.

Just came in and I need a bath. Got rusty smelling steel dust all in my sinuses.
Doing the wheels for DW's honda next week. Someones dog likes to use them for hydrants and the clear coat finish on the aluminum is getting the brunt of it.

Time to break out the powder coating machine and freshen them up before I sell it. She likes the 92X better anyway. Heated leather seats.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:06 AM   #1223

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, With Curtis and Jay and all the others on your thread, we could start our own custom MH company!
Jay, I also saw that Vanhool bus, and it got my attention! But as you say, it was not done like I would have! But, if the mechanicals are sound, which they look like they are? What am I thinking, I am in Thailand!
And I sold all my stuff, or gave it to my son!!
Curtis, my son had a Izusu Trooper, that he used to take out and play in the mud with! Wow, was it tough! It lasted for 2 or 3 years of extremely tough torture! He now has a 3/4 ton chevy w/military axle's and tractor tires, and a built big block! Trucks gone wild stuff! What ever floats his boat! I just don't know where he got it from! I remember putting him in the pass. seat of my 68 camero, 427/525 hp! When he was two years old, and watching him try to touch the dash when I would hit the gas! He would laugh so hard, and tell me to do it again! Seat belts, car seats??
Terry, how is the shopping going? Or are you still in research mode?
The DW and I are going to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Sunday for 4 days, sort of a mini vacation! It is located on the equator, so should be hot and humid! Lots of cool things to check out, and strange food to taste!
Terry , take care of your knee, March is coming up quickly!
Everyone take care! Rail!
Old 02-13-2015, 04:54 AM   #1224

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning Everyone, -8* with 35* below 0* windchills this AM, spring can't come soon enough!! Rail, I have thought the same thing different times, that the talent is very diverse, put it all together and we could start our own reality show.....MOTORHOMES GONE WILD with a major sponsor....Ben Gay . I've pretty much decided on the major components for the electrical now I'm shopping for the best prices, I do need to research the solar panels yet. Have fun on the equator!! lucky dog. Have a great day all.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #1225

Terry, make sure to check out solarblvd on 12VDC solar panels. Sometimes they have really good sales.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #1226

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi HH, I will check them out! sometimes the sticking point is shipping, I have found items for good prices, then looked at the shipping costs and said no way. I know for a co it is a huge expense, but sometimes they make money off it (or try) and thats when I don't go back. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #1227

You may have already read this but https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/ has a great deal of information on it. I learned a lot and go back there and reread it often
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #1228

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good point Rail. We could, if we could all decide on a state to have the company. I have considered doing a coach remodel biz on wheels. Great way to see the country and get paid to do it. Hmmmm.

Terry VanHool makes "Touring coaches" and public transit buses. I've seen a lot of them on this side of the country. Belgium firm. Will be interested in what you decide for solar. Spent some time talking with a solar firm at the RV show last week. He uses 2 of these to power his offgrid home. Told me the advantage on non-fixed unit allows for achieving the perfect angle as opposed to a fixed unit. I told him I could just build a motorized mount with a sun tracking system.

Only issue with this one is the 6V92 Detroit diesel which is only around 335hp. Owner said it was rebuilt in 2000 and the bus gets 6-9 mpg in its current form. Has an Alison 5 speed. Would definitely need to swap that out for more HP and better trans. ISX15 & Allison 4000 MH? That will pull a stacker don't ya think?

Have a good day all.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #1229

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good day, MK30, yup I have read ole handybob, I like his "crusty style" of saying things. Jay, I had to Google VanHool, interesting, I was never a fan of Detroit engines, good engines just never a fan. Solar is so simple and so complex at the same time, you can do the same thing differently, I think its just a matter of using quality components, speaking of them, there is several "no name" that I think will work fine. My biggest sticking point is finding/getting the panels. I would say it would pull a stacker with no prob. (with more power) would def be something to see going down the road.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #1230

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Ok Guys, I promised a shopping list, so here it is. The battery monitor is a Trimetric 2030RV, the solar controllor is a Morningstar MPPT 60, the Inverter is a Go Power GP-SW 3000 3000 watt pure sine, I am upgrading my 12v converter/charger to a Progressive Dynamics 55 amp I also have a Power Max 30 amp transfer switch. The verdict is still out on solar panels. I went back and forth on how to hook everything up, this is how I'm going to do it...... the inverter I selected has the capability of being hard wired, so I am wiring it into the transfer switch generator location, it will run the entire coach, I will ether shut off the breaker for the AC and convertor/charger or put a relay in to sense the power switch. My shore power cord could still be plugged into the genny if its required, with an upgraded convertor/charger I can charge my batteries from shore or genny if need be. I like the capability of a separate charger from my inverter (thanks HH) OK what do you think, (I can take it, come on)
Old 02-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #1231

Terry, sometimes solarblvd has free shipping promotions via UPS ground. That may be what you want to watch for.

https://www.solarblvd.com/index.php?cPath=1_269
Old 02-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #1232

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi HH, I sure will thanks!