Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #1233

Terry
Looks like you picked some good stuff so far ,like you always have ...
The Trimetric and Morningstar MPPT are the units I am going to get for my eventual solar OHaul. Think I might get the 45amp controller though.
Now just remember to keep the wire big and the runs short .
U B Good to Go
Looks like we're going to get nailed tomorrow and Sunday here. 12-24" and wind gusts around 50mph. Try measuring snowfall with that kind of wind ! Tonight -20* to get things started

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #1234

Think I might get the 45watt controller though.

I hope you meant 45amp.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #1235

OOPS , yup 45 AMP.thx for the auto correct HH.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #1236

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
Terry, sometimes solarblvd has free shipping promotions via UPS ground. That may be what you want to watch for.

https://www.solarblvd.com/index.php?cPath=1_269

Why not contact them, tell them you are interested in the promotion and do they have any idea of when it will be offered again. Some will tell you.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #1237

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Guys, Popeye this winters just gotta go!! From Boston up the coast towards you have been getting more snow then here, Our "normal snowfall per year is around the 70 to 80 inch mark and we've got that now, our below 0* days are 10 a yr and we have 11 now and they say we are going to have at least 5 more right now . snow tomorrow is only 5" unless it wraps around ? they don't know. -5* as I write. HH, Why 45 amp not 60?
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #1238

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, you snuck in there when I was typing (I am slow) Thats a good idea I'll try that thanks.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #1239

45watts was typed but I was sure he meant 45 amps for the controller. Was concerned someone might get confused.

But for the space you would have on your roof I would agree that a 60amp controller might be the choice.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #1240

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
HH, I missed that, thanks for clearing that up. Good Night
Old 02-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #1241

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Good point Rail. We could, if we could all decide on a state to have the company. I have considered doing a coach remodel biz on wheels. Great way to see the country and get paid to do it. Hmmmm.

Terry VanHool makes "Touring coaches" and public transit buses. I've seen a lot of them on this side of the country. Belgium firm. Will be interested in what you decide for solar. Spent some time talking with a solar firm at the RV show last week. He uses 2 of these to power his offgrid home. Told me the advantage on non-fixed unit allows for achieving the perfect angle as opposed to a fixed unit. I told him I could just build a motorized mount with a sun tracking system.

Only issue with this one is the 6V92 Detroit diesel which is only around 335hp. Owner said it was rebuilt in 2000 and the bus gets 6-9 mpg in its current form. Has an Alison 5 speed. Would definitely need to swap that out for more HP and better trans. ISX15 & Allison 4000 MH? That will pull a stacker don't ya think?

Have a good day all.
A ISX 15 lt. will pull anything you want, period!
The 6v92 DD were very good dependable motors! I have ran a few trucks with them and they would not set the world on fire with thier getting up to speed, but they did a good job, once there! I was running around the mid-west, so no mountians were involved, and I would guess they would be lacking in going up? We were going down the road with 80,000 lbs. so I think in a MH, they would be OK, to a certain degree! I have always been a Cummins fan myself!
Terry, the shopping list sounds like it will work just great! I am watching and listening to everyone comments! And I am taking notes!
Terry, stay warm, that is some serious cold!! Rail!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #1242

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning Everyone, Rail, those old Detroits leaked so much oil, I used to say you can pour the oil on the top of the engine and it will find its way in.. -5* overnight no snow yet but they say its comming. Popeye you better hunker down and get ready . Its on the way up to you. Have a great day all.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #1243

Terry will have plenty of room for lots of panels so the 60 amp will be perfect. I just have a 23' class C so 45 amps will be extra big !

I'm only going to add 250-300 watts worth of panels to my old 75 watt Siemens. That's all I will have room for !

It's always a good idea getting a controller to fit the maximum amt of panels you will want your final system to be even if you start out with less panels and expand later. MPPT controllers are also the way to go for lots of reasons IMHO.

The storm should be here in a couple of hours , 16-24+ " and winds as high as 60mph predicted now !!!! Oh My GOSHK Last night was only -5* ,not bad as we were expecting -20*!!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #1244

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, If I type something wacky, forgive me, I went out today and bought a new laptop, windows 8.1 my last pc had vista, this is also a touch screen and can separate from the keyboard, Big learning curve. Popeye, are you getting the snow yet? it started here late today but not heavy yet. I have to figure how many panels I can put up there, (it will be as many as will fit), Stay safe all, good night.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #1245

Terry
As many as will fit????? Wow , you might need a bigger controller !!!
There's a LOT of real estate up there.

I've got a Vista laptop also. Probably one of the last made, got it on clearance at Wallyworld. That's how I got my W7 too.I'll probably skip W8.1 and get a W10 when they go on clearance . W10 WILL be available as a free download for all W7+8.1 boxes for a year after they release it ,so I could upgrade the W7 but am afraid most of my hundred or so software won't be compatible,,,,,we'll see , will have a year to decide.
I'd upgrade the Vista in a NY minute but that won't be happening , wah

The storm was a dud , probably less than 4", they were right about the wind though "The rig's a'rockin but I'm not having any FUN!" Best part about the wind is no roof to shovel off . Low temp was 12*. NO complaints here, maybe we're out of the pattern ? Hey a guy can hope right?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #1246

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Popeye, the storm here was also not much (thankfully) 4 maybe 5 inches hard to tell with the wind, that they didn't lie about. 2* as I type. I should say I will put as many panels as I can, within reason . Stay warm. Have a great day.