Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #1289

Winnebago Owners Club
I have heard that there is a 25 year lifespan on knees with the current technology. Not sure if it is a rumor or not.

IMO by the time 20 years pass there will be new materials, technology and medical advances that will make replacing knees quicker, easier and replacing them when or if they wear out a possibility.

I think if you wait you are suffering needlessly and may be wasting some of the best years of your life.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #1290

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Tour date is coming fast Terry. Won't be long til your back to it. Best of luck brother.

Got my injection on Friday. By Monday was almost good as new. Except now I'm having hot flashes and DW is laughing up a storm.

But this means I can put off labral surgery until after I get the remodel done on the s&b. Need to finish the travertine floors and do some trim work. I'll have the surgery while the agents are selling the place. I'm determined to be a full timer before summer gets here. Been planning for 2 years. Had enough waiting.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #1291

I'm curious about something.
Haw many of you guys here that are having knee problems played High School Football?

Both of my brothers played and both have had a lifetime of knee problems since.

I was a motor head so my knees are Great.

Even though I broke my kneecap in a motorcycle accident. And, broke my back in three places and shattered my left leg in a fall.

Just curious!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #1292

Rebuild Terry so he can finish rebuilding the 5er.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #1293

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning Everyone, Gordon, the type or knee replacement that I have has a disc that can be replaced relatively easy, I go back once a year to have it checked, that way its not a major OP. I agree with you on not waiting, at the age most need a replacement just get it done because we want to do things now, who knows what later will bring. Jay, I am very glad the injection worked for you, I thing its a gamble worth taking once. Curtis, I was a gear head too, no sports for me, my damage started from jumping out of choppers and perfectly good airplanes, then log trucks. HH, That's the plan ! I probably can't go thru a metal detector without setting it off !! Have a great day all.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:18 AM   #1294

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I'm curious about something.
Haw many of you guys here that are having knee problems played High School Football?

Both of my brothers played and both have had a lifetime of knee problems since.

I was a motor head so my knees are Great.

Even though I broke my kneecap in a motorcycle accident. And, broke my back in three places and shattered my left leg in a fall.

Just curious!

This is something that deserves more discussion, IMHO. I spent 27 years in the Marine Corps (another somewhat risky endeavor) and the number of Marines in their thirties still nursing high school football injuries (knee and shoulder, mostly) was alarming. I think that the physical demands of military service made the old injuries noticeable, and that someone in a less demanding line of work may not have been hampered by them until much later (retirement age?) in life. My son wanted to play football, but we diverted him toward surfing. At the time, he was disappointed. At age 29, he couldn't care less. He still surfs, and is teaching his son.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #1295

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Slowmo, I spent 4yrs in the corps, and while I didn't happen to see the old injuries that you saw its possible one didn't admit to it, (I know I never said anything) if you got hurt you just kept going, if you could. I know the demands placed on someone in yrs. of service are cumulative and will come back to haunt in later yrs. On another note, my knee feels sorta good today so trying to get something done.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #1296

I spent my career climbing poles for the Power Company. So my knees have been through the ringer too. I tried football and baseball but never got into them. Give me gas and tires and I'm a happy camper.
I too discouraged my son from playing football. I d allow him to play basketball and since it was supposed to be a non contact sport he came out MVP and ALL STATE in his last two years of High School. He almost turned Pro with his skate board. The boy has too much Co ordination. Unlike his clumsy sister. Ha!

He still runs. And i did start running after I broke my back and leg. DR told me I'd never walk right again because of the damage, but it just lit a fire in my arse. I also raced cross country bicycles for 15 years after I got burned out from running.
I only ask because my son now is letting the older grandson to play football and I'm trying to convince him it's not a good idea. This one likes to hit.

Terry, when you get back on your feet again you're going to be hard to stop. Looking forward to that day. Well keep you entertained till the DR gives you the Oakey Doakey...
Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #1297

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Curtis, I'm going to need all the entertainment I can get . I think with all the attention head injuries are getting along with the knee and leg I'm not sure I'd let my kids play, but hey who knows what will happen right. I also ran for yrs. after the service, tried to stay in shape. Doc the other day said I was in good shape, and I said for the shape I'm in ! .
Old 02-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #1298

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I have heard that there is a 25 year lifespan on knees with the current technology. Not sure if it is a rumor or not.

I think that may either be a rumor, or they save those joints for the elite. I was told that I'm too young for a new knee and too old for them to fix the one I have.

I had surgery on 02/06 and all he did, was remove torn meniscus. The knee hurts a lot more now, than it did before.

Terry... You've got people all over the country rootin' for ya! You've got this!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #1299

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I think that may either be a rumor, or they save those joints for the elite. I was told that I'm too young for a new knee and too old for them to fix the one I have.

I had surgery on 02/06 and all he did, was remove torn meniscus. The knee hurts a lot more now, than it did before.

Terry... You've got people all over the country rootin' for ya! You've got this!
One of our friends was told the same thing, that she was too young as they could only replace it once. Did not understand the logic but since I am not a DR and do not want to be a DR I just filed the information away.

Not to say that I don't mind playing DR!!! LOL
Old 02-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #1300

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good almost noon, Gary, All I have to go on as far as the knee that was replaced (left one) is that the surgeon that I have has a joint that has a replaceable disc that is relatively easy to replace "if caught soon enough" so I go in every year to have it checked, its a simple x ray and he knows what to look for, the problem (from what the doc says) is that some docs don't see their patients again after the recovery and when the joint wears it goes metal on metal and you don't know it until its to late, because there is no pain involved. My philosophy is that there is no too young (to a point) if your knee is shot and nothing can be done, replace it, its a quality of life issue, most want to move now, who knows if at 70 or 80 (if you make it that far) you would want to or be able to move. I went thru the arthroscopic clean up on my other knee and it didn't work ether, when this knee went and I went to the surgeon I gave him no options, and he agreed. Gary thanks for rooting, everyone here has been fantastic. A lot of info on all sorts of things !! Gordon, Hopefully Janet has a good outcome also, too bad you have to go back so soon, but Spruce Grove was warm today, although not as warm as where you are.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #1301

You know what is really sad???........I just finished mowing the yard....and it's February
Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #1302

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I probably won't even see my yard until June.