Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #1373

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening All, Curtis, your making it very hard not to just hook up and go !! It sounds very nice, I have heard about some of those places, all with good reviews. When we had the bike shop we would clean 25 + carbs a yr., some were from bikes that were just dragged out from behind the barn ect. but the most were from engines just not put to bed properly, alot of people ride until its too cold and then just roll'em in the shed and bring them out in the spring, that's when we got involved, it costs alot of money to fix some of these new bikes. we started using a product called Startron to treat the effects of Ethanol, I use it every tank on the bikes, all the engines we put away have never had a problem next time started, knock on wood. HH, your right all that stuff will be replaced, I will tear it down and go thru the wiring, test the fuel pressure, do leak down tests on the engine, this is going into the TV, so it will power the truck as well as the TH when hooked up, its really just a back up, and I didn't want a big one because I won't need it, and being smaller it won't burn as much fuel. I couldn't believe when I saw it on Craig's list yesterday, I was first caller so had first dibs, nice gentlemen, sold it the right way by doing that first caller thing. I think a typical RV'er. Have a good night all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #1374

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Frank, snuck in there, your right, I was actually surprised that they don't recommend taking the carb apart, (not that that would stop me) but I will try that first, hey if it works it'll save time and effort.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #1375

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, I had a John Deere garden tractor, a 212, that I got from my neighbor who was 97 years old for 20 dls! I said, Leo, it is worth a lot more than 20 dls, sorry I have to give you more money than that! He told me, the reason he was selling it so cheap to me was his son bought a Sears "throw away" mower, and he knew I would still be using the Deere, long after his son wore out that Sears! And he was right! We mowed 2 acres, and Leo had like 3 acres to mow too! The Sears mower lasted about two years, and blew up! I was still using the Deere! I retired it to a snow blower only, after I bought the Woods zero turn! It would sit out in the cord wood shed in the back corner, waiting for a snow, then it would fire up and blow snow! It got where it did not want to run, with out the choke about halfway out. Then we got the Kubota diesel with the front scoop, and I just did not use it anymore. When I had my sale, I got it out, washed it off, Pulled the carb, sprayed it out with carb cleaner, put new fuel lines and filter, air cleaner, pulled the tank, washed it out! Put a new battery in it, it fired right off! Purred like a kitten! In the sale, it brought good money! And I was sad to see it go! It had the wheel weights, chains, and the snow blower still on it!
The next day, it was still sitting out in the same spot, no one came got it? After three more days, still there? I drove it in the barn, as it never had sat out ever, and thought that someone would come and get it, when they got a trailer or something to haul it home with? I called the acution co. after 2 weeks, when no one came to get it. He said it stated in the acution flyer, everything had to be picked up 1 week after the sale. He said, looks like it did not want to leave? My son still has it, and let his G-Paw use it this winter, as he was getting to old to push his! I ask him, how did the old Deere do this winter with all the snow? He said g- paw was so happy with it! He loves it!! Just a little story to keep you smiling! Rail!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 AM   #1376

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning All, Rail, that's great! love the stories, always bring back memories, Thanks . -1 today, weatherman said today that February here was the 2nd coldest ever on record and the 5th snowiest, I believe it. I've been getting ready, or should I say getting the house ready for me not being able to do anything. seems as thro everything has broke, the cloths dryer idler wheel seized up and broke a belt, ordered the parts and fixed it, snow blower broke a belt ordered the belt, still waiting for that. Have a great day all.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #1377

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
So are we all going to rally in TX just before next winter and build that slide? Heck while we are at it we can use the combined skill sets and tweak all the rigs.

Maybe get that reality TV producer couple thats been posting on iRV2 letely to come on down and turn it into a TV show

Ya'll have a great day. Wet and cool here today. Guess I won't be working outside today.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #1378
bap

sounds great, i will hook up all of our tt,s and train them down,,,

man wouldnt we make a great show.....lol
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
So are we all going to rally in TX just before next winter and build that slide? Heck while we are at it we can use the combined skill sets and tweak all the rigs.

Maybe get that reality TV producer couple thats been posting on iRV2 letely to come on down and turn it into a TV show

Ya'll have a great day. Wet and cool here today. Guess I won't be working outside today.
The Heater in Texas is turned off in Mid September. Just So you Know!

That should give me time to get mine done and that will free up the Prime Shop Spot.

I've got an overhead winch on an I beam and another pair on a 16' rollaroundframe "H" beam. (Used for lifting car bodies off of frames)
And I've got one of those manual forklifts for picking pallets up and setting them in pickup beds. SO doing slide outs is not that far fetched if done here.

BUT, as far as putting it on TV! My Niece is the Head Producer for TV News in Florida and she has advised me to never get hooked up with one of those shows, unless I want live ive in constant DRAMA the rest of my life. I do not need that kind of attention. Flakes and weirdos will be coming out of the woodwork wanting free work.
Living under the microscope of those News Stand Rag Papers is not for me.

But come on down, I've got hook ups for 2 outside the shop and a dump station.

Would you believe it's snowing again here????
2 inches so far since 8AM and it should do this all day acording to the Weather WOAman!
Ice tomorrow.

That means we are going to have a really nice Summer.
I'll be surprised if we break 100 degrees this Summer.

Well, maybe just a few days!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01183.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	87235  
Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #1380

Oklahoma Boomers Club
In all seriousness the reality show bit was tongue in cheek.

Have been on the fringe of one of those. One of my daughters having been friends since grade school with one of the stars of a popular Discovery Channel show. We have been too a couple of tapings. Reality TV has a lot of staged and scripted drama and scat reality. Daughter had been seen running around town with said star and before you know it she's his fiance' according to rumors. None of which was true of course. That did not stop the show from wanting to play up the angle from all the buzz on social media. My daughter was stalked by female fans of the star. Insane!

So yeah, I know all about the drama that comes with that. No thanks.

But I'm all in for the rest of it.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #1381

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi guys, Tim, the original owner, was leaving for a trip across country, ( this was a yr ago) he was having trouble with the genset, not staying running ect. so the tech that worked on it said it was going to cost like 200.00 to diagnose the genset and he didn't have time so had a new one (bigger too) installed. I looked at it just now looks like the carb needs cleaning, I have had it running but won't stay running. HH, nothing that I would like better than to go south for the winter, DW has a few more yrs. before retirement so need to figure something out.
Harley1994

Mine is more than likely way older than yours. "But" Its a 6.5 Genset Gasser, I had the same problem last fall, it would start right off but then started shuddering. First time having trouble with it since we bought the MH 4-5 years ago. Worked great the week before.I replaced the Fuel pump,filters with no success. So I took it into a Cummins/Onan shop and it turns out it was the points were pitted,replaced, Condenser Replaced, and 2 plugs (that I fouled out) Replaced a Capacitor, and a Breaker Assy-ing. I tried to get the electric choke to work but I broke the spring. So they fixed that too.
Sounds like alot but it only took the guy a few hours to do it.
I gave them a $500.00 limit and sure it went higher but the service guy took off 300 in labor because we started out on the wrong foot.(They started it) LOL
So in the end $62.58 in Parts and $375 labor.
Runs top's with the exception of the choke. To start I have to work the choke manually. Will address that when it warms back up!!!! When ever that is.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #1382

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I'm lucky, mine has 10 hrs on it and I start it every couple months and let it run for 10 minutes. No problems with varnish because it is propane powered. I know you said that you were going to put it in your TV so gas would work better for that, but it is great for me, because I only use it once in a blue moon, so I don't have to worry about running it to keep fresh gas in the carb.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #1383

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Jay, a build rally sounds like fun, with all the skill sets of everyone, we'd have a great time. Curtis, sounds and looks like you guys are getting the snow that we usually get, we've been lately just cold. Shop looks good even with the snow. I'm not in for drama ether don't have the patience for BS. Tim, my genny is a 2003 so pretty new, doesn't have points or any of that stuff, thank goodness. Frank, used to work on alot of propane forklifts for a couple of yrs, I personally like propane power, I have to build a fuel tank when I put it in the TV because the TV is diesel, also it will have its own battery. Most of the back up gennys for S&B are propane for the same reason, no varnish ect. Catch all later.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #1384

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Terry,
I'm lucky, mine has 10 hrs on it and I start it every couple months and let it run for 10 minutes. No problems with varnish because it is propane powered. I know you said that you were going to put it in your TV so gas would work better for that, but it is great for me, because I only use it once in a blue moon, so I don't have to worry about running it to keep fresh gas in the carb.
Frank
Exercising your generator is not only about keeping fresh gas in the carb. It has to do with keeping condensation out of the windings and keeping the contacts clean. That's why it is important to follow the manufactures recommendations to run for at least an hour under 1/2 - 3/4 load.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #1385

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is good for a laugh!

Friend sent a pic of this and thought it was kind of cute. People can create anything and have been for years which is why we have such great rigs today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old truck camper.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	87401  
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #1386

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Friend sent a pic of this and thought it was kind of cute. People can create anything and have been for years which is why we have such great rigs today.
Looks like the rig great granny went west in.