Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #155
bap

morehead has changed ALOT im only 12 miles from there,,,,im in olive hill..back up in a holler...lol....have alot of fun here 4wheeling..

u get your project done maybe u could head this way someday an we could camp carter caves,,--nice little camp ground and very pretty area for riding your bikes..
....just sayin...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #156

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Sounds like it could be great, thanks for the invite.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #157

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

I have almost finished getting the roof ready for the EPDM material, its trimmed and screwed down, I need to fill the screw holes, sand and its ready!! I cut the vents and AC holes and an escape hatch in the bedroom area. This weekend finally Plumbing vents go thru the wall. Looks like a large area for Solar maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0923141634.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	74753   Click image for larger version

Name:	0923141634a.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	74754  

Old 09-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #158

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Harley 1994,

I wonder what the side would look like with two Harley's painted down the side with their drivers riding and smiling. Then the other side could be of the two of you sitting around the camp fire or a picture of what it looked like and like a collage of pics from start to finish. Or do advertising and let someone else pay for the cost of the rebuild.

What are you putting on the roof? Just curious! After watching this I'm not too concerned about finding a MH with the inside material I want because I can change it to what I want. Just three more years and I am out of here.

Love the progress, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #159

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Lynne, That certainly would be different. I am putting a white 60 mil EPDM rubber roof on, the trailer came with an aluminum roof, which is what kinda started the major reconstruction, we had decided to change the interior so there would have been holes in the roof that would need patching, so we said lets put a new roof on, thats when I said if we are putting a new roof on why not raise the sides and give us more room inside. So you can see how a seemingly simple decision led to a major project.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #160

Winnebago Owners Club
Roof sheeting looks good. When I put the EPDM on I was advised to put it on in 3 - 4' sections. It took a bit longer but I was able to do it from the roof. Otherwise if I did it like the videos show I would have had to build scaffolding to work from.

How tall are you inside from the sheeting on the frame at the sidewall?
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #161

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Gordon, When you did that section were you able to roll the membrane on to the adhesive right away? The TH is exactly 8' on the outside top of the roof to the bottom of the floor joists. Setting here (in my living room) I think I'm around 91" inside, for the main area. I didn't raise the area over the pin box, so its still low, thats the bedroom area, I know its kinda a pain not being able to fully stand, but we can live with it. My next build will be bigger! LOL
Old 09-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #162

Winnebago Owners Club
I waited until the distillate flashed off. Me bad but I opted for the distillate instead of the water based adhesive. I think it takes longer for the emulsion to flash off. No experience or knowledge of emulsion based adhesive.

You have to be really careful not to stretch the EPDM. If you do it will wrinkle. Nothing wrong with wrinkles for durability but looks not as good. I did it through trial and error. I laid out the entire roof and then folded back 1/2 except for 3' from the center (first fold). That 3' (top fold) I folded back onto the side (first fold) that was double. I applied the adhesive to both the 3' folded back (top fold) and the 3' on the sheeting. After it flashed off I kept the EPDM (top fold) flat and slid it side to side slightly pushing towards the glued sheeting. Where the EPDM touched the glued area it would stick and then when I slide it the other way the other side would advance. I did this until the top fold was done and then pulled first fold all the way to the end and used the roller to roll the glued area. Then would repeat, stopping 3' short of the glued edge. Each iteration would move closer to the end of the roof.

I hope this makes sense. I can picture it in my mind but words are subjective. I tried to lift the 3' and sort of lay it while moving forward but was working by myself so was not very successful. Got some wrinkles and so tried the sliding method.

I also found the recommended application rate for adhesive was too high. Perhaps it would have worked for regular chipboard but I used G1S plywood and the absorption rate may not have been as high as they anticipated. You will have to see what you think when you work with your roof.

If you have any questions ask me or send me a PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:36 AM   #163

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thanks for explanation, it makes sense, I have to buy the adhesive yet, and not sure what the company uses where I'm getting it from. What did you use to roll it with, just curious, I can't picture what to use yet. This weekend is supposed to be good weather temps in high 70's so I have rounded up help (lots of people "owe" me) after yrs of owning a repair shop and doing favors is paying off lol.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #164
bap

i heard a low nap hard paint roller works perfect,,,,,but cant wait to see what gordon has used....i have been likeing his ideas alot...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #165

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - same as BAP. Had a 4" low nap paint roller and would roll it towards the unglued section.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #166

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Thanks guys, great help all! working inside the TH today doing some detail work, weather man said there might be showers so its covered.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you installing LED lighting? While I had the roof off I fitted new LED fixtures in the ceiling. Some I installed on a straight switch, others I put on a remote switch and they are dimmable.

If you put LED in there is a big difference in quality. IMO get good quality lights that will have longevity and will have replacement parts as you need them. I bought some $5.00 lights but ended up with $30.00 lights installed. There is a huge difference in the quality and weight of the fixture as well as the light output.

Selection of lights is one of the things that DW can be a big part of.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #168

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Gordon, Yes I am going with LED, I actually am experimenting in my house with LED, but my question is which would be more efficient, 120 volt or 12 volt.