Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #715

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the issue with the fridge is the venting. To vent properly the top vent should be on the roof. The sidewall vent should be as low as possible. Those are two areas of potential water ingress.

First is the hole cut in the exterior of the unit and the other is the lack of baffles, etc to allow free air flow. Free air flow = water ports.

On our 5er both were cut in the wall. Had to add a fan to move the air. Checking the vents after washing carefully showed some water would be there. Not a lot but still there in spite of being very careful.

MH has a residential fridge. No holes in the wall except a door to access hooking up the water line.

IMO a residential fridge is the better way to go.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #716

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi Gordon, while your on the road, do you run the refrig. on your inverter?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #717

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been looking at a residential Fridge for the 82. Ours currently only works on Propane. It works fine but I think I would do better with a residential Unit. Plus they are about 1/4 the price of a new MH one.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #718

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hi Gordon, while your on the road, do you run the refrig. on your inverter?
Yes the fridge runs all of the time when we are using the coach. The engine generator is able to keep everything fully charged. We have stayed a few nights in a Walmart parking lot and we leave the fridge on.

We do not leave the fridge (evaporative) on in the 5er. It is pre inverter days so we either run the fridge on shore/generator or propane. I turn propane off when travelling. Have found that if I run the fridge overnight it will keep things cold and frozen for the day. Soon as I stop the fridge is turned back on.

Had to replace the fridge in the 5er two years ago. Costly piece of equipment! In hindsight I would have replaced it with residential. Planning on selling the 5er so it is a moot point.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #719
KIX

Terry, We have an 18cu.ft. French door residential reefer. It has run constantly since installed 4 years ago. When not plugged into shore power and main engine is running the alternator keeps our four 6v house bank charged. An inverter provides 120vac. The house bank can power the reefer for 26 hours. At 26 hours the battery bank is at 50% discharged. Without a doubt the best mod we made to an RV.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #720

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Hi guys, You've convinced me (didn't take much) I'm going residential refrig. I like the idea of no holes in the side or roof. Home Depot has a couple that might fit, will ck them out this weekend. My luck, they were 40% off on Black Friday. Kix,the one we will be installing is smaller so would/should run ok. Thanks for the info. Tomorrow another job got added, I have to remove 32" of snow from the TH roof. Frank that "low" temp you had sure would look good.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #721
KIX

Terry, The Samsung we installed reportedly has it's own inverter to stabilizes power to the unit. Therefore we can use the motorhome Modified Sine Wave inverter. You may need a Pure Sine Wave inverter for whatever reefer you decide on. Also, we can disable the feature that applies heat to the doors to battle condensation and the ice maker. With these two items disabled I've sen no higher than 2 amp consumption. So, check the power demands of what you buy carefully. But, you're going to like a residential reefer.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #722

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rebuild

Good Morning, Kix, Thanks for the info, I didn't think about the extras that refrig have now adays, (like the heated doors) I will def keep that in mind.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #723

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Terry,
I think a lot has to do with how much boondocking that you plan on doing. When you are hooked up most of the time, it is not a big deal, as everything will stay cold for 10 hrs or so, with no power to the fridge. But if you mainly boondock, you are asking a lot of your batteries, even with solar panels. Just to give you another thought.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #724

Winnebago Owners Club
Thats a lot of snow to shovel off. Thank goodness it is not too large an area and you do not have the solar panels up yet. As I recall you have not installed the vents yet so should be happy shoveling.

Take care when up there.

Just was out checking. We have been warm here and the snow slid off of the shed. There is a 4 - 5 foot pile on both sides where it landed.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #725

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Got all the snow off, I use a rubber/plastic snow rake like tool we used at the car shop to clean snow off without damaging the cars finish, its about 18" X 8" with a broom handle you can push and pull the snow off works really well. Most of the time I can just be on the side and pull the snow off like half and go on the other side and pull the other half, (I do have to be on a ladder) this time I had to get on the roof and push it off. I guess the storm is winding down, probably end up with about 25-6" of snow and about .5 to .75" of ice, its that combo that pulls down the trees and takes out the power. Maybe by saturday I can get back on the TH again, finish up the insulation. Here's a pic of a road going to my house, we are at 2100 ft of elevation, so if they say snow for the hills thats us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1211140830a.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	80922  
Old 12-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #726

I know its kind of a pain to work through/around, but wow is fresh snowfall pretty.
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #727

Winnebago Owners Club
I really like the road to your house. Must be a pain to maintain but is very scenic.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #728

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have to say at times I lose sight of where I am, it is nice, (even thro I prefer green grass). We have been snowed in before, longest was about a week, before they could get here with a big Walters 4X4 V Plow to punch thru snow drifts that were 8 to 12' high, we plan on it. There where only two houses then, so no big hurry to get here. Summer time I always have to watch the trees when I go with the big truck.