Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #1751

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Frank I guess your right, There's always something to keep those who are handy busy, most of us have been doing "stuff" always, that will not stop just because we retire. Gordon, I too just can't walk on by if I can help I will. Popeye, I haven't looked at a Topo map since I was in the Corps. Jay that would be so cool, would raise some eyebrows! Bap, we might hit 50* today , first time in 95 days back to low 40's by the weekend.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #1752

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning,
That was what got me into work camping, of course it was DW's idea, she didn't want to get bored. I am another one that can't walk by without stopping to try to help.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #1753

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
I think I just found a new TOAD
Hey Jay; Now we can start a discussion on whether it can be flat towed, dolly towed, trailer towed or if it should have an enclosed trailer. I vote on trying to flat tow it. Probably too heavy for a dolly or trailer.

I also suspect the coach will make as good or better mileage than the toad. It would be a very interesting sight to see this being towed down the road with a MH. You would have a ready made conversation starter any where you stopped.

I am with bap on having a purpose in life. I know a number of fellows who died shortly after retiring. When working they were fully engaged in the job and seemed to have few interests outside of work. I think they lost the reason to get out of bed in the morning.

I have found that I work just as hard in retirement as I did when working. Just now I don't get paid. But I also get to pick the jobs I do and the hours I work.

Snowing here this morning. Nice big flakes. Warming so rain this afternoon. Another lovely day to stay inside. Weather forecast changes from hour to hour so the most effective way to predict the weather is to look out of the window.

Have a good day.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #1754

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Afternoon, Gordon the fun just keeps coming, (snow). Here the weather today and tomorrow is supposed to be nice, (today IS) So I just couldn't resist I installed the Fantastic Fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0402151110.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	90348   Click image for larger version

Name:	0402151126.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	90349  

Old 04-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #1755

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Hey Jay; Now we can start a discussion on whether it can be flat towed, dolly towed, trailer towed or if it should have an enclosed trailer. I vote on trying to flat tow it. Probably too heavy for a dolly or trailer.

I also suspect the coach will make as good or better mileage than the toad. It would be a very interesting sight to see this being towed down the road with a MH. You would have a ready made conversation starter any where you stopped.
No doubt it would raise eyebrows and start conversations. At 7500lbs it would certainly take a stout trailer. Can you imagine pulling that out of the trailer when you arrive? I'm' sure mileage is worse than a coach. But it will go anywhere and it will take a tank to stop you. Good boondocking unit for sure.

Quote:
I am with bap on having a purpose in life. I know a number of fellows who died shortly after retiring. When working they were fully engaged in the job and seemed to have few interests outside of work. I think they lost the reason to get out of bed in the morning.
I have to have something to do or I just can't function at all. I can't see something that needs to be done and just walk past it. Can't see someone that could use a hand and not offer it. One of the reasons I'm trying to find something I can do while FTing. I have a few ideas and think I have it narrowed down. Part of the reason for the stacker. I'm a builder/fabricator and that takes tools. One idea is to combine those skills with the desire to do projects like BAP & Terry are doing. Maybe not so much a total rebuild, but remodels, mods and add ons. Also picking up one of those leak finder systems and take it mobile. DW says I'm supposed to be retired and having fun. I tell her that kinda stuff is fun to me. Plus we need to pay for all the fuel moving that big bus around will require, camp sites, hookups, etc, etc. So... I can find your leaks, repair them, build or modify your cabinets, install a new floor or counters, install new electronic systems or an outdoor entertainment system and I'm sure I can think of a few more, right in your own driveway. Seems to me that is an underserved market.

As I mentioned before, seems many of us are members of CLAC (Cant Leave it Alone Club)
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #1756

OK , talk about can't leave it alone.....
Today I filled my water tank and fired up the water pump to fill the water heater.
De-winterized ! Soooooooo , Now the weather has GOT to warm up..
Anyone see a flaw in my logic????
rvpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #1757

Winnebago Owners Club
Jay - it would seem to me a stacker may be an option for you to consider. Install all of your tools, benches etc on the lift and the toad underneath. Arrive at your location, take the toad out and lower the "shop" to the lower level. Use the toad to tow the "shop" to the location.

We had our stacker custom built at inTech. All aluminum, curb at 6350lbs. Good quality and reasonable price in my opinion. We did not have too much customization, main thing was a 16' lift so we had room for the bikes. We can haul 3 motorcycles on the lift, one is a trike.

While picking up the trailer we had a factory tour and saw some really exotic customs in the production line. If you can dream it they can build it - as I am sure most manufacturers would be able to do.

I think you would fit a great niche and have too much work. Most folks I have talked to seem to want alterations made. Many want it "almost free" but others are willing to pay a good price for good work. We had a fellow in our park for a number of years who was kept running, unfortunately his health made him quit.

Popeye - we will hold you to your prediction. Let spring begin!

Terry - like the view from the top. I did the same thing with the EPDM to install our vents. If the vent leaks it will soon be obvious as the water will end up on the floor rather than in the sheeting.

How does the knee feel? Most important - how does Eleanor feel about the knee? If she is OK then you should be OK. Hope you are not fearful for your life like bap. He cracked me up with his post on the goooodmorning thread.

It is good to see progress on the TH and feel your satisfaction with getting stuff done.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #1758

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Jay, sounds like a plan to me, nice part about it most things on an RV can be done outside with no shop. (weather permitting of course) Popeye, now you've gone and done it, its bound to get cold now, if it follows the same logic of "if I wash my car it'll rain". Gordon, my knee doesn't feel too bad, still stiff, I don't have the ROM (around 95* out of 120) yet that will allow me to go up ladders/stairs step over step, still doing up with the good down with the bad one dance, but its getting stronger daily. Only take a pain pill for PT now so that's a major improvement. I haven't told Eleanor about the fan install, some things are better left unsaid . I don't think she will find it as funny as I do .
Old 04-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #1759

I'm having a hard time keeping up with ya'll conversations.
But, I have to say I think I'm in the right bunch. You guys sound like you're related to me, and so real it's not funny.
I'm exactly the same way. I see someone with the hood up or a tool box out and it's like sugar to an ant!

Maybe one of these days we can meet somewhere like Uwarrie NC or Red River NM and drive the wives NUTS!

I have a few copies of the Delorme TOPO maps We use in our backwoods expeditions. Looking forward to getting some use out of them again.

As for Garmin, I'm one of their biggest contributors!
And Delorme!
And Investors!

Oh I would love a stacker trailer! But my Coach is not rated for more than I'm already dragging!

Staying busy has never been a problem for me. Slowing down when I'm sick is like a death sentence for me. This Winter I had the Flu and Bronchitis and the DR. wanted to put me in the Hospital. I refused because in my thinking that would kill me to have to be around all those sick and dying stagnant people.

Well, it's time to go out and play with my tubing bender and make some new rock guards for my 4X4. Right after I run down to the corner store on the scooter and pick up a pint of ice cream. (Blue Bell Moolenium Crunch of course!)
Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #1760

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Jay - it would seem to me a stacker may be an option for you to consider. Install all of your tools, benches etc on the lift and the toad underneath. Arrive at your location, take the toad out and lower the "shop" to the lower level. Use the toad to tow the "shop" to the location.

I think you would fit a great niche and have too much work. Most folks I have talked to seem to want alterations made. Many want it "almost free" but others are willing to pay a good price for good work. We had a fellow in our park for a number of years who was kept running, unfortunately his health made him quit.
Exactly why I'm getting a stacker and the shop tools (table saw, planer, etc on the lift was exactly my thought. Like the idea of using the TOAD to move the stacker to jobsite. Wonder if I can do that with my Jeep. Something to check into. Looking into as basic of one I can find and do my own mods/setup. Not one to pay someone to do something I can do myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Jay, sounds like a plan to me, nice part about it most things on an RV can be done outside with no shop. (weather permitting of course)
Exactly. Imagine not having to go drop off your rig somewhere for who knows how long and then fetching it. Seems to me there is room in there somewhere that a person could make a little profit and the customer still save some cash and time. Plus the customer gets to see daily progress. Maybe I'm just crazy. But seems like an idea to me. Terry should I stop at HWH and get you a slide? BTW, you went up on the roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I'm having a hard time keeping up with ya'll conversations.
But, I have to say I think I'm in the right bunch. You guys sound like you're related to me, and so real it's not funny.
I'm exactly the same way. I see someone with the hood up or a tool box out and it's like sugar to an ant!

Maybe one of these days we can meet somewhere like Uwarrie NC or Red River NM and drive the wives NUTS!

I'm all in for a rally somewhere. Not the 1st time that has been brought up. The guys can discuss projects and the wives can commiserate with each other.

BTW, the CLAC now has it's own thread as if the forum needed another one). A place for tinkerers to talk like we do here but without hijacking someone's project thread. I have run into some others that would fit right in.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #1761

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Exactly why I'm getting a stacker and the shop tools (table saw, planer, etc on the lift was exactly my thought. Like the idea of using the TOAD to move the stacker to jobsite. Wonder if I can do that with my Jeep. Something to check into. Looking into as basic of one I can find and do my own mods/setup. Not one to pay someone to do something I can do myself.
We do not tow the stacker with the SUV. We could but use it to move the stacker around the park. No problem with tongue weight as we run a triple axle. Total weight 6300 near the max of the SUV 7000. Looked at a Haul Mark but it was steel construction and curb was 12,000 lbs. With the SUV we were well past the towing capacity of the coach.

Really interesting when moving the stacker across speed bumps. The weight goes from a slight down pressure to an up-pressure as the front axle crossed the bump. We are driving along with the truck level and then all of a sudden the back of the truck lifts and the nose goes down. Happens for the first two axles, third drops the back end of the truck. Interesting feeling. Without speed bumps I would feel comfortable towing for short distances at slow speeds. Total experience with stacker and SUV is about one mile.

I was thinking if you order you can get doors, generator access or housing, lights (we got a bunch of really excellent LED, place lights up like daytime), door location, interior wiring, etc that could be costly trying to rejig after the build was complete.

If you are talking planer, table saw, router table, etc you would like multiple outlets and a reasonable power supply to run it all. Also a few more lights than we have. Would be fun to spec out.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #1762

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Guys, Curtis I'm with you, I don't like hospitals and will do whatever I can to get out. My first knee they got me up the following morning after surgery and I asked when I was getting out, the PT person said as soon as I can go up a flight of stairs, I told her where are they, she took me to a flight of stairs and I went up turned around and came back down (dang near killed me) she was too surprised to stop me, then said I had to stay one more night, (dang it all that for nothing). Jay, here's a pic of where the fan is, almost to the rear so technically I wasn't ON the roof just near it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0402151526.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	90377  
Old 04-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #1763

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Jay, here's a pic of where the fan is, almost to the rear so technically I wasn't ON the roof just near it .
I'm sure that flew with the Misses too.

Honestly it sounds like something I would say.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #1764

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you guys lawyers in your spare time? Don't tell Eleanor or you may need a doctor and she may need a lawyer. I think this may be one of the times she could run faster mad than you can scared!!! LOL

I would do the same thing. Say nothing incriminating and once you start work for real just pretend it was done at that time. Sort of error of omission.

I love the way this is going.