Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #4495

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Evening, Gordon, I checked out a few videos on the insulation, it looked like it was quite a bit heaver and stiffer then fiberglass. Probley less itchy too, I hauled insulation when I drove semi's and when I got done unloading, (it was by hand) I would get to the nearest truck stop and take a cold shower it was not nice. Lynne, she is back home, (MIL) it seems the new Dr. was over medicating the insulin, and then she took the dose she was told to and didn't eat like she should have, that combo almost did her in. It does seem that we are sharing the same weather, you can stop sharing any time . Have a Great Night All
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #4496

Winnebago Owners Club
Lynne - one bag of Roxul will go a very long way. You will likely only need one bag.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #4497
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Terry,

Very glad MIL is ok. Prayers and thoughts that she recovers well. Thanks to you and Eleanor for being good "kids" and being there for her!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #4498

Terry
It is great not having to go out in this stuff !
I'd do that too but I kinda live outside !
Heater is staying on for the foreseeable future
Glad to hear MIL is OK.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #4499

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Terry, glad your MIL is doing better! Yes, I think inside project's are in order for this weekend! Wow! I forgot all about that kind of cold!! We used to haul potatoes out of N. Dakota in the winter time in a old 1970 Freightliner Cab'n'over! Like driving a piece of Swiss cheese down the road! It had three heaters, and we still froze our a$$'s off!! We had the whole front covered up, still froze! Darn old "318 Detroit", just would not run hot enough to let the heaters work! Don't miss those days, for sure!
Rail!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #4500

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good morning, Thanks everyone for MIL's good wishes, as we all know, (well most of us ) getting older has it's challenges. Popeye, it's going to get interesting, here at least its only going to last a few days, might get some kind of storm moving up the coast Mon. night into Tue. right now here it's 14* started out at 0* so warming "nicely" . Rail, wow I'd kinda forgot how bad the heaters where in those old trucks, cabover's were the worst!! some of the old logging trucks we carried scrapers for the INSIDE of the windows as you drove . Ahh those were the days .
Old 02-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #4501

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Good morning, Thanks everyone for MIL's good wishes, as we all know, (well most of us ) getting older has it's challenges. Popeye, it's going to get interesting, here at least its only going to last a few days, might get some kind of storm moving up the coast Mon. night into Tue. right now here it's 14* started out at 0* so warming "nicely" . Rail, wow I'd kinda forgot how bad the heaters where in those old trucks, cabover's were the worst!! some of the old logging trucks we carried scrapers for the INSIDE of the windows as you drove . Ahh those were the days .
My God Rail and Terry, you have me reminicing of all those good old days when I had my '68 Jap Freightliner with the 318 Detroit and no heater! Sally must have really Loved me to ride shotgun with me in the winter wrapped up like a cocoon in comforters , except when she had to get the frost off the windshields! Still remember the sound of that old Detroit crying as I ran double loads of coiled steel up over the bridge out of Newark, NJ where trucks weren't allowed to get into the Holland Tunnel so I could make 2 loads a day to the Brooklyn Piers! Never blew it up even though I had it turned up to 2700 rpm! Ah , the Good ole Days, NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! That was my first truck paint job, done with many cans of spray paint, LOL. Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	118892  
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #4502

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bobby, Nice pic.! boy those clothes and hat along with the cabover bring back memory's. Drivers today don't know the sound of a 318 screamin up a hill. Here's a pic of the weather map for the temps this weekend, I'm in the -35 to -55 range YUK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temps.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	118897  
Old 02-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #4503

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You guys sure do know how to bring back memories, I had a long nose White Freightliner with a 318 and 13 speed, you had to shift that thing as fast as you could to keep up.
Bobby,
It has started to warm up, onlt down in the upper 40's tonite then back up to the upper 60's to low 70's for the next week, so it is getting better, a lot warmer than the map that Terry posted.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:52 AM   #4504

I come from a little different background.......

My Dad was the fleet manager for a large trucking firm based in Elsmford N.Y.. They delivered all the groceries from the north border of Westchester County south to N.Y. City, parts of Long Island etc for A&P. They had a fleet of B61 Macks. Dual sticks, tough little trucks with small little cabs. And given the deliveries in the City were at street level in the front door,,, some long days. These did have heat,,,, interesting shutters on the radiator that opened and closed to control engine temp. When working properly, they did the job.

I remember in about 1972 or 3? when they bought one of the first Maxadyne's (R model, turbo charged 6) and it was like a race car! Everyone was amazed. My Ford Powerstroke has more HP today, but at that time is was amazing to move a truck and trailer with a 5 speed!

Getting them all running for Monday morning in weather like there is in N.Y. right now would have us there late Sunday night, into the morning Monday running charcoal burners under the oil pans, cases of starting fluid, and jumping with the yard truck. By 6am there would be 100 plus trucks all idleing in the lot, a stinky noisey place.

Dad left there years later, and was part owner of the Great Dane dealerships in Florida, N.Y., Marathon N.Y., and Boston Mass..

Thanks for making me think about this stuff! Dad is 83 now, and is in the Hospital here in town. Went in yesterday, fainted in the living room. Nothing serious appears he was dehydrated as he over did his dialysis and didn't drink enough. We were talking about these days last night as I kept him company.

Have a great day all! Terry, hearing Ole Frorge will be 52-!!!

L.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #4505

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Cold hasn't quite got here yet, its getting close, temps are 5* and going down all day. Frank, always loved those long nose trucks, still do! never was a fan of those leaky ole Detroit's. I was a Cummins fan, almost all the trucks I drove had a Cummins, first was a naturally aspirated 220 no power, that was in a White Constructor model they had diamond plate front fenders, that was a screw with a tag that came down when loaded, used to haul 14 full cord of pulp wood, very slowly. Lloyd, I remember those A&P trucks, Those B models were hard riding trucks, worked for a guy for a while that had one with the back of the cab that curved inward no room in that cab at all!. Wouldn't mind having one of those old Great Dane trailers to convert. The ones that where all ribbed stainless steel. Would have to get Bap to polish it . The Adirondacks are really going to be cold, you couldn't pay me to live in Old Forge. Have a Great Day All.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #4506

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Terry, here is that same cabover after I changed the cab on it. Took the windshields out , borrowed a forklift with a few 2x8s thru the doors and put it on a dolly to get it in my 1 1/2 car garage to strip and paint it. had to split the headlight panels to make them deeper as they changed depending on what motor was in the truck, adding 4 1/2 inches in the fiberglass was a pain! That was my first foray into spray gun painting, black Centari w/ hardener, actually had to paint it twice as after stripping it to bare metal and priming, I washed the garage down with the hose and missed washing all the years of dust off the cross braces in the garage! First coat was a disaster, had to let it dry and sand it down again. Was a lot of fun making the neighbors crazy when I had a friend come over with a pair of visegrips and I drove the cabless truck out into the street with him steering it while I stood on the frame like I was riding a bronco! Just so I could get the forklift back there to use to get it back on the chassis! Bobby
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	118926  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #4507

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is my last rig, towed this crappy trailer my friend got for nothing from the county , it was a driving simulator for young people in school. Took it up to his 78 acres he owns up in Deposit, NY. Bought it for $10000, had it a week and had to rebuild the 3406b Cat Motor in it , another $10000 ran it about 1000 miles and it was parked in a welding shop in Kearny, NJ , went one day to check on it , it was gone! Boy I cried over that! Some Jackass had a brand new cat certified rebuilt motor with a new clutch! Oh well, Karma shall reap havoc on them ,I hope! Bobby
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0009.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	508.3 KB
ID:	118927   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0011.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	531.8 KB
ID:	118928  

Name:	scan0005.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	118929   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0007.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	522.2 KB
ID:	118930  

Name:	scan0013.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	118931  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #4508

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

I love all the old pictures of these vehicles. Do any of you wish you still had one?

Terry, It's 5 here this AM So I figure you are somewhere near that same temp. Sorry, if I had any control over it I would be sending you a temp around 45 or higher just because we are all sick of this cold crap and it makes it difficult for us to work on our projects.

I gave the mobile guy the option of waiting until warmer weather. I would not want to crawl around under the rig in this cold so won't ask him to. He was fine with that. I will call him when it is above 40. Not going camping before that anyway. It's nice to have someone close who can come to the rig and especially with good reviews.

Gordon, My thought on the pink stuff is it will conform to the curves in the shape of the front cap. Will the Roxul curve? I enjoy learning about all the options and may use that somewhere else in the rig but wasn't sure about the curves.

Hope it gets warmer soon. Know we have had a great winter, but I want the cold GONE!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote