Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #6077

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Busy, so much to do so little time, fall is here and gotta start getting ready for the cold, had our first frost and ice on the windshield yesterday morning, so looks like we are going to be winterizing the TH and getting ready to put it away , season was pretty much a wash for us this year, got to meet up with Rail and Jira and that's it. Health concerns with MIL are still there, she's home but having some trouble so we had to stay close so we can check everyday. My projects also start to slow down, have some painting projects to do and that will probley be it unless we get a warm spell. Lots of other stuff to do, real exciting too, put on snow tires.......install the snow plow.....go pick up our winter supply of wood pellets yup real exciting stuff Sam good to hear that everyone is getting well, I'm sure we will meet up at some point . Bap, yup me too, I figure when I go full time I'll need a semi to haul my shop around Frank, after doing this for so long that may be the toughest part
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #6078

Winnebago Owners Club
Terry - have you considered the "Help I have fallen and cant get up" Lifelink option for MIL? Still would have to be around but there would/could be less worry.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #6079

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Gordon, yup we've thought about that option, she takes a bunch of meds and was forgetting them so we got a "pill minder" it's a storage unit that you set up for I think a month with all the pills and the time she takes them and an alarm goes off telling her to take them, if she doesn't it locks those pills after a half hr. so she can't double dose. the big problem she has right now is she is a diabetic and her blood sugar goes dangerously low and she doesn't know until it's too late, so we have to check in often. They can't seem to get it regulated.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #6080

Winnebago Owners Club
Frustrating to the n'th degree. They will get it eventually and when they do you will wonder why it was so difficult. Hang in there. It will work out.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #6081

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Terry,
Put some more bondo on this afternoon, looking good thanks too you and your projects / video's. I'll have to take a pic tomorrow. It started to rain.
I am going thru almost the same thing as your MIL but mine is high, as high as 560 averaging 190-300. They tried 3 different insulins this last time in the hospital and still can't get it around 100. I can't figure it out.
Best wishes to her,
I can't believe your already down to 35 degrees, I thought only Minnesota gets cold so early.
I'd love to have a Bull/Brush Bar for the Pace Arrow and a Stainless Visior. I'm sure they would have to be custom made.
Thanks again,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #6082

Good morning to all Harley 1994

I know what a challenge it is take take care of the elderly. This is the second time this year that my mom has had a bowel obstruction. Their is nothing in the way of preventive. It just happens when you have had prior abdominal surgery. I am a Licensed Practical Nurse and she doesn't listen to me!! She waits all day to see if she will get better before she calls me. MIL advice..could you work with the public health nurse to have some home visits. What about a medical social worker? Hospitals have them on staff. Would she qualify for hospice for her Diabetes? Our adult daughter with Autism lives with us. I bought her a watch that can be set to beep at medication time. She just ignores the beep. Hopefully,2017 will be better for us to get together for camping. We could meet up in Binghamton.SP. I am scheduled for a left knee replacement Nov. 8th.Three days in the hosp. and then to rehab. I have had way to many surgeries. The DR. told me this one will be rough pain wise. I will be on morphine. I pray I don't get an infection between now and the surgery date. If I do then the surgerywill be canceled. I have been in pain since Oct. 2015. Had to wait for DH to get his eyes surgeries. Bone on bone causes the pain. Prayers to all in need. Take care Sam-3
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:14 AM   #6083

Hi All!

Sam-3, my wife Debbie had knee replacement in March, she is very happy with it. She gets around really well now. She would confirm, it is very painfull. First 3-4 days were tough, but then it quickly gets better. She did a great job following the PT, and now has full motion.

I lost my Dad back in March, he was a diabetic but took good care of himself, not too much burden on us beyond a million hospital and doctor visits. We are now caring for my Mom, and she is not as sharp and is starting to show signs of dementia (sp). She is going to be much harder to care for.

Not much choice in these things. My mom is near me, my sibblings are further away,,, they are not as engaged in this. Trick is for them to share the load. I am still working on that.

L.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #6084
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Sam-3, my wife Debbie had knee replacement in March, she is very happy with it. She gets around really well now. She would confirm, it is very painfull. First 3-4 days were tough, but then it quickly gets better. She did a great job following the PT, and now has full motion.
Sam-3,

DW had two knee replacements about 6-8 years ago (I don't even remember any more). They did them about a week apart. The experiences were similar to Debbie's that Lloyd wrote. Now, she has excellent range of motion and no pain! Yup, that includes dancing around if she wants. Relax, follow the doctor's and PT's orders, and look forward to good things.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #6085

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, Gordon, yup I know, crazy how it just goes wacky like that. Tim, good to see you getting around, glad my videos helped . Upstate NY is very spotty with climates, where I am I can get buried in snow and just 10 miles away will be rain with everything in between getting there. If you go up into the Adirondacks all bets are off it's cold and snowy there. Sam, yup I think it'll get to that point eventually as far as outside help. I had both of my knees replaced its the only part that don't hurt . Tough to do the PT but it comes back in good range of motion. Lloyd, it is tough being the care taker but is something that has to be, after all they did the same for us when we couldn't take care of ourselves. Oh Tim yup my bones are really starting to tell me that winter is coming too, only I can't get to Yuma, I'm having Yuma jealousy.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #6086

Winnebago Owners Club
Sam- 3. When we sit around at Happy Hour it is amazing how many zipper knees are on display. IMO knees and hips are one of the modern miracles designed for older folks that actually work. The scars will fade but the benefits continue. Take whatever precautions you need to do to prevent any infection. Postponing the remedial surgery only postpones the benefits.

Janet had her left hip done and the surgeon predicted she would need the right one within two years. The relief from the left replacement has improved the right one so much that Janet is not even thinking about getting it replaced at this point. It has been over two years.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #6087

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Gordon, When I had my knees done the prep room was filled with knee and hip patients in process of getting done, kinda like an assembly line. Sam, one thing I didn't mentioned is to try and do as much to strengthen and get flexibility as you can because it will help with recovery. Gordon, it's funny you mention zipper knees my knees have replaceable parts that can be changed as they wear instead of the whole knee.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #6088

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Gordon, When I had my knees done the prep room was filled with knee and hip patients in process of getting done, kinda like an assembly line. Sam, one thing I didn't mentioned is to try and do as much to strengthen and get flexibility as you can because it will help with recovery. Gordon, it's funny you mention zipper knees my knees have replaceable parts that can be changed as they wear instead of the whole knee.
That is great news about the replaceable parts. Always heard they tried to postpone knee replacements as they had a limited life span and could not be replaced. Seems silly with the ability to replace parts on almost anything else.

Great advice about keeping fit and the largest range of movement possible. Work through the pain. Janet had almost zero flexibility in her hip at replacement time and has had to work extra hard because of it.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #6089

Reading all this,,,, replacement body parts etc.......... and watching the Terminator II movie. Won't be long and it will all be repleaceable?

L.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #6090

So , do they give you the part# so NAPA can cross reference?