Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

Tow truck damage - easy fix?

I got my MH that I just purchased towed home the other day and the tow truck had it lifted from the rear. While he was backing it into the driveway part of the truck had hit the corner of the camper and dented it. Due to the angle of where I wanted it and the torrential rain coming down at the time their was nothing that could really be done about it. Since Im friends with the tow company and they were doing me a favor I cant blame them for it.
My question though can this be an easy fix especially since it is where the shower is inside and I plan on taking that out anyways. Also can I get replacements of the aluminum edging that runs along the edge, because by replacing that it seems like it would be easier to straighten out the side panel also. You can see it just to the left of the drivers taillight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 17.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	43212  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is the dent by the right tail light ladder area? Do you have any netter pictures of it?

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Ill take some better pictures when I get home today. There is a little damage on the right side but the ladder took most of the hit. The spot Im talking about is on the drivers side just to the left of the taillight.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #4

The aluminum edge is easy to find. It's a generic part any respectable dealership would be able to get. Same with the skin material. It's unfortunate though, that the damage is in the area of the side stripe. That fact, if you want to make it original, is the worst part of the project. You'll proably end up masking and painting to reapply, and matching it is generally a struggle. That part of the project itself would double my time spent doing the repair...
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jettaiii View Post
I got my MH that I just purchased towed home the other day and the tow truck had it lifted from the rear. While he was backing it into the driveway part of the truck had hit the corner of the camper and dented it. Due to the angle of where I wanted it and the torrential rain coming down at the time their was nothing that could really be done about it. Since Im friends with the tow company and they were doing me a favor I cant blame them for it.
My question though can this be an easy fix especially since it is where the shower is inside and I plan on taking that out anyways. Also can I get replacements of the aluminum edging that runs along the edge, because by replacing that it seems like it would be easier to straighten out the side panel also. You can see it just to the left of the drivers taillight.

Is the rear Cap Fiberglass? and the siding Aluminum? Mine was all Fiberglass and I bought a house cleaner (safe for Fiberglass) that was used on the end of a garden hose it worked great mine looked like your rear cap except the whole motor-home was covered. Not sure if it could be used on Aluminum though if I remember right it was for Vinyl siding. It took me 8 hours and a pressure washer but it turned out nice. I then needed to wax it took a week. I wish I had taken a before Picture, it would have been a good product testament !!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	43259  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

Im not to worried about the paint. If I can get the aluminum edging Im hoping I can straighten out the side panel pretty easy. It is bent but it is not creased at all. The paint is still in good shape on that portion. I know its not going to look brand new and Im not trying to make it new, but I would like it to be as straight as possible and leak free.
I took some more pictures last night. These are after it was cleaned over the weekend so it looks much better. It had sat under a maple tree for about 11 years with a tarp over it prior to me getting it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 25.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	43261   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 26.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	43262  

Name:	photo 27.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	43263  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

Luckily it did not damage the rear, which is fiberglass!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks good cleaned up.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

Thanks! I do have to say it doesn't look to bad for being 30 years old. The hood, left front fender, and front doors have some rust but are still solid. I have to do another good wash to it and then Ill throw some wax on her. It already has some shine to it in the sun with just one wash!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a thought if you can not find the trim your looking for can you use a newer style and replace it from roof level down on both sides?
See My RV Upgrades
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
looking good.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

doesn't look to hard to straighten out the siding or trim..just be gentle with it to minimze paint damage..a couple blocks of wood and a rubber mallet should do the trick