Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Towing/Launching Boat

We'll be camping at the lake this weekend, and I'll be towing the boat for the first time with the Mountain Aire.
My wife will be meeting me at the lake when she gets off work, and she'll have the truck so we can use that to launch, but I am considering launching with the RV.

Any real difference towing a boat compared to a car on a dolly? I'm taking the 19' Mach 1 this time, which I recently purchased due to my DW refusing to go out in the 23' jeboat anymore (beats the %$#$ out of you in moderately choppy water). It weighs more than the jet, about 2900lbs total vs 2700 or so, but is shorter by 4'. The jet does have a tandem trailer though, which I really prefer.

Anyone launch with their motorhome? Tips/tricks?? My goal is to NOT end up as the subject of a viral video!

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #2

I would just check the surface of the ramp. If it's slippery I have seen some chock the motorhome wheels while warming up boat while still hooked to trailer

Old 07-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

That is a concern. The first MoHo I bought was front wheel drive, which would keep the drive wheels well away from the slick stuff. Only problem was physics. On the ramp the weight shift drastically lightened the front end, reducing traction.
The ramp I'd be using is not a smooth concrete or asphalt ramp, it is deeply corrugated, so I don't think traction will be an issue even if the tires get wet.
I'm more concerned about turning around on the ramp incline ... guess that's what insurance is for!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Maybe I'm just a big sissy, but I believe I'd be launching and retrieving with the truck, not the RV. I wouldn't want to risk my 'hotel room' becoming unavailable for some reason (especially one that could have been avoided).
Old 07-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
We'll be camping at the lake this weekend, and I'll be towing the boat for the first time with the Mountain Aire.
My wife will be meeting me at the lake when she gets off work, and she'll have the truck so we can use that to launch, but I am considering launching with the RV.

Any real difference towing a boat compared to a car on a dolly?
Anyone launch with their motorhome? Tips/tricks?? My goal is to NOT end up as the subject of a viral video!

Thanks!
I have towed a boat with an older class A. I had a 14 ft fiberglass runabout boat and a 28 ft class a gas burner. The only problem I had was I could not see the boat when backing (There were no rear view camera's then). To solve the problem. I carried a metal pole (Actually two tent poles stuck together). to lay across the back of the boat after I undid the boat from the trailer and was ready to back into the water.

I set up the pole as follows. In a parking lot drive the rig in a straight line until the boat is directly behind the motorhome. Mark the pole where it touches the sides of the boat (I used a band of tape). This will allow you to replace the pole in the same place each use. Next, sit in the motorhome and have someone tie a flag to each end of the pole so that when you are looking in the mirrors, the flag appears even with the back end of the motorhome.

With the pole in place, you can look in the mirror and if both flags are even with the back of the motor home you know the boat is going straight backward. This makes it easy to line up with the ramp as you back up.

My dad used a different idea. He put a trailer hitch on the front of his truck. He would pull into the parking lot, unhook the boat. Turn the truck around and recouple to the front. This way he could push the boat into the water and easily see which way to turn.

This led to a comment from the fishermen who had had too many beers and arrived after dad had turned the truck. They smirked that most people put the boat on the back of the truck. I wonder if he drove that thing from Atlanta that way. - Hey it was funny at the time!

Have fun on the water.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

The main reason to test it now is I want to be able to go boating for a week at a time and not have to take a 2nd vehicle. I haven't been to Glendo in Wyoming in several years, and want to spend a week there next June.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I went through all of this two weeks ago, and my wife brought the truck. I don't worry about traction on the ramp, even with a 27' 8000lb Crownline. I worry about the motorhome not being able to navigate the "crown" at the top of the ramp. I only have 9 inches of clearance, spread over a very long wheelbase. I used the truck...done deal. In the future I would consider offering a complete stranger $100.00 to launch my boat. I spent that in extra diesel anyway just having DW drive the truck to the lake, so it would be a wash.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

Now that is a point I haven't considered! I may do a trial run without the boat first.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
That is a concern. The first MoHo I bought was front wheel drive, which would keep the drive wheels well away from the slick stuff. Only problem was physics. On the ramp the weight shift drastically lightened the front end, reducing traction.
The ramp I'd be using is not a smooth concrete or asphalt ramp, it is deeply corrugated, so I don't think traction will be an issue even if the tires get wet.
I'm more concerned about turning around on the ramp incline ... guess that's what insurance is for!
Just make sure everything inside is secured. It can be a bit unnerving making the swing at top of some ramps. I launched at on lake where you had to drive to bottom and swing around then line up in your lane. Others have a staging area so not such a big deal.
I would just check out the ramp before hand for any crazy situations
Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've launched both a small boat (14' Bayliner) as well as jet skiis from my class C. The only issue was being able to get far enough into the water without submerging the back end of the MH; that was dependent on the steepness of the ramp of course. I also did something similar to APhotoWizard, and had a couple of small flags that would mount to the boat/PWC trailer and stick out far enough to see in both mirrors. I don't think I would be comfortable turning around "on" the ramp, depending on how steep; I've always backed all the way down (the flags were priceless!).

I haven't needed to launch with my class A, as our current camp buddies use a Yukon SUV to tow their TT, and the location where we usually go doesn't allow on-water fueling. That requires me to pull the skiis out of the water every time they need fueling, so we just use the Yukon and leave the RV set up.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #11

If you are doing it with a Class B or C or a shorter Class A, you will probably be ok.

I've been a boat owner since I was 16 and had some form of an RV since I was 24. I have unloaded a boat with a class C. It worked ok, but, as mentioned before, you will want to make sure everything is secured well before you start down the ramp.

I can't imagine backing my 21' boat down a ramp with my 43' Class A.

And, BTW, I too have been on a few slick ramps and had trouble pulling the boat out of the water with a pickup truck. One reason (excuse) I only own 4wd tow vehicles now.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgchampagne View Post
I went through all of this two weeks ago, and my wife brought the truck. I don't worry about traction on the ramp, even with a 27' 8000lb Crownline. I worry about the motorhome not being able to navigate the "crown" at the top of the ramp. I only have 9 inches of clearance, spread over a very long wheelbase. I used the truck...done deal. In the future I would consider offering a complete stranger $100.00 to launch my boat. I spent that in extra diesel anyway just having DW drive the truck to the lake, so it would be a wash.
If you are going to be putting your boat in on the south side of Glendo I would just pay the marina to put the boat in/out. It has been quite a few years since I was there but at that time is was $10 each way. Was with a friend that was launching his 20 something sailboat with an older 2wd F150 and was too cheap to have the marina do it (the ramp is kind of steep). Once his rear tires hit hit the water the weight of the trailer/boat pulled him the rest of the way down the ramp. As the pickup sank the topper popped off from all the floatie stuff in the pickup bed. Boat was launched but pickup was under water, topper floating and front of boat still tied to the trailer. Not a good weekend.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Test your brakes in reverse. I launched a 10' wide 12,000# boat with a F750 with air brakes. The brakes sometimes would creep in reverse if the clutch was in. It would not move if in gear. It was a 5 speed with granny. I guessing your MH is an automatic, so you would have to depend on the brakes or chocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterbed3.gif
Views:	31
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	170510  
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
If you are going to be putting your boat in on the south side of Glendo I would just pay the marina to put the boat in/out. It has been quite a few years since I was there but at that time is was $10 each way. Was with a friend that was launching his 20 something sailboat with an older 2wd F150 and was too cheap to have the marina do it (the ramp is kind of steep). Once his rear tires hit hit the water the weight of the trailer/boat pulled him the rest of the way down the ramp. As the pickup sank the topper popped off from all the floatie stuff in the pickup bed. Boat was launched but pickup was under water, topper floating and front of boat still tied to the trailer. Not a good weekend.
I wasn't sure if they provided launch/retrieve service. That would be the way to go. I believe it was the South launch we always used and it is very steep.

Tags
towing, tow