Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer wiring

I have a 1976 Coachman cadet and i wanted to put a new 7-Way round trailer connector on it to replace the last persons rigging (4way flat connector). I have the turn signals, running lights and brake lights connected and working, my question is i have 3 wires left, a black, red and lt blue wire, obviously one is for the electric brakes, but which one and what are the rest of the wires for? Can someone help me out with my problem?
SGT_KQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #2

#2 Blue is brakes
#6 green is R turn
#4 black is 12v+
#3 brown is tail/running lights
#5 yellow is L turn
#1 ground is white
center pin is auxiliary 12v+ like charging battery fridge or heat.......
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischua View Post
#2 Blue is brakes
#6 green is R turn
#4 black is 12v+
#3 brown is tail/running lights
#5 yellow is L turn
#1 ground is white
center pin is auxiliary 12v+ like charging battery fridge or heat.......
Center pin, in todays world, is usually back up lights.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Yes, the connector said the middle one was for back-up lights.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #5

Sorry the diagram I have did not show the backup lights I haven't done vehicle wiring in years A quick search got me Red for the backup light and I should have blue as the electric brakes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Heres another question regarding the rear brakelights, I have only 1 that works, what i tried to do was wire the both brake light wires to the same wire thats hot when brakes r applied (obviously) and what i get is 1 comes on and the other goes off. I cant get both brake lights to come on simultanenously. I have 2 wires that come out of the camper that both have power when the brakes are applied and i tried a couple different ways to no avail. ORIGINALLY when the brakes were applied i had 1 side that was correct and the otehr side the B/U light would come on.... Thats what i was trying to fix but its beating me up too.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #7

If I remember right the turn signal wires are also break lights there shouldn't be a separate wire for the break lights
Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #8

I'll have to dig into it a bit farther then.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #9

The 7 wire plug is normally used on tractor/ trailers (semis). It will work for your application but will not be wired the same. Normally travel trailers have a 6 wire plug.
Here is how it is normally wired on a big rig
White is ground (might be your brake light problem)
Yellow- left turn
Green- right turn
Black- trailer clearance lights
Brown- trailer tail-lights lights
Red- trailer brake lights
Blue- Aux(normally trailer inside lights)

If your tow vehicle does not have seperate brake & turn lights you will not need to wire in the red wire for brake lights. Brake lights run thru the turn signal wires.Red can be used for the trailer electric brakes. Either black or brown can be used for tail-lights.
Blue can be used for your charge wire, make sure the wire is large enough.

The nice thing about using the 7 wire instead of the 6 wire is almost every truck stop on the highways will have this available.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_KQ View Post
ORIGINALLY when the brakes were applied i had 1 side that was correct and the otehr side the B/U light would come on.... Thats what i was trying to fix but its beating me up too.
This is a classic symptom of a bad ground at the fixture.
Electricity will always take the easy path. With no ground, the power goes in one lamp and out the other (the backup light bulb)
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote