Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Transmission Coolers

Has anybody put an aux. tranny cooler on the older Ford E350s ?

I'm getting everything together so that in about another month I can pull down the front end to replace the radiator. While I'm in there, I'm going to replace the water pump, thermostat, and hoses. And I'd like to add an aux tranny cooler while things are pulled down. The problem is, I don't see anywhere to put one, unless there is some room between the radiator and condenser that I can't see yet. I'm hoping somebody has already added one and can tell me the best spot and size.

Also, anybody know where I can get some replacement springs/ fitting/ whatever to replace the old AC rings? The connections are leaking HORRIBLY, and I might as well fix those too while I'm there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Ford usally has a tranny cooler already on them. Its not very big perhaps 4x 10 ins and it was mounted up in front of the condenser. If it doesn't have one , if at all possible put it in front of the condenser or when running the a/c it will transfer the heat to the tranny.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I have an oil cooler mounted directly beside the condenser. I thought it was a tranny cooler too until I traced the lines. The only tranny cooler I see on mine is the one built into the radiator. If I can't come up with something viable, I'll probably take off the oil cooler and put a tranny cooler there. But I'd like to keep both if possible.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

Transmission Cooler

I recently had one installed on my '85 minnie winie. The transmission shop installed it in front of the radiator.

Byron
Old 01-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I think I've came up with a workable solution, I just need to pull off the grille and measure exactly how much room is there. I've found a few similar rigs in my area, and they all have factory installed tranny coolers where I have an oil cooler. So for now, I'm assuming the oil cooler was installed by a previous owner. Either way, I'm pretty sure I can find an aftermarket tranny cooler that'll fit in there, and move the oil cooler further down on the radiator.