Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been lurking, and enjoying following the story. Thanks for all the updates and photos.
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #44

Daylight at the roofline (just above the electrical tape)

Same place, from the outside, notice the missing rivets?
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #45

Forgot to mention one weird thing that happened on the way to get new tires. Rather, it happened on the way back from the tire shop. When we first replaced both of the engine batteries, I checked the fuel tank and couldn't smell any diesel within. The needle on the fuel gauge is either stuck or off the pin as it is just pointing way past full. So I snared a 5gal diesel can from work and put in 5 gallons. Between idling in the driveway checking various things and running back and forth to the storage lot, I was starting to get nervous that it was going to run out of fuel, and this is not a vehicle to push off the road. It was even to the point of sputtering occasionally. Anyway, didn't pass any stations with diesel until we were on the way home from the tire shop, and lo and behold with a mere 9-1/2 gallons out of the pump fuel was bubbling up the filler neck. I seem to recall reading that this has a 30-35 gallon main tank (not counting the generator gasoline tank which of course is a separate entity) I had really only wanted to put in maybe 10 gallons since if I had to replace the sending unit for the gauge, I didn't want to have a full tank to drop. So now I have a tank mostly filled with diesel of unknown age. Having not had a diesel engine before, but having struggled mightily with slightly old ethanol poisoned gasoline, how long can diesel stand the test of time? I mean, it runs so its not totally without energy, and I suppose once I get the brakes fully sorted a shakedown road trip wouldn't be a bad idea to run a it couple of hundred miles and see what's what. Just curious if this old fuel will cause me some problems. For reference, when we bought this RV the tags were still current and batteries were five years old meaning that the possibility exists that it was on the road not too long before it went to auction, so we're not talking about antique fuel, maybe just a few months.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #46

I joined this forum because I finally found someone else with a Transtar!! I've got a 1981 but with a gas engine. The original 400 was replaced with a 350. Anyway, I'll be following your progress and probably hitting you up for info and advice! . It's looking good! 👍🏻
Billyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #47

I don't have much experience with diesels but last summer I was helping a friend remove an underground heating oil tank. It still had about 50 gallons of heating oil in it that was about 30-40 years old. A fellow came over and pumped it out for us with plans to use it in his diesel truck. My friend and I went over to his place and he had a large tank of heating oil that he'd collected and was already using it as fuel in truck.

Based on that experience I imagine that the fuel you have in your tank is probably okay to use. Hopefully, someone will pitch in with more specific information than I've just given.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #48

The aging of diesel is different that gasoline. It depends on the additives of the diesel when the vehicle was filled. Diesel doesn't deteriorate as much, and you can usually drive on old diesel. I've run over 10 year old diesel in my back hoe and '02 Mercedes E-class without any problems. The biggest problem with old diesel is water and growth. You might have problems with the fuel filter getting clogged, but otherwise there shouldn't be any problems running with it.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
The aging of diesel is different that gasoline. It depends on the additives of the diesel when the vehicle was filled. Diesel doesn't deteriorate as much, and you can usually drive on old diesel. I've run over 10 year old diesel in my back hoe and '02 Mercedes E-class without any problems. The biggest problem with old diesel is water and growth. You might have problems with the fuel filter getting clogged, but otherwise there shouldn't be any problems running with it.
OK, that's good to know. Filters are on the replacement list anyway so I haven't been to worried about the current one's getting clogged (which may be the source of my sputtering, anyway).
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyrocker View Post
I joined this forum because I finally found someone else with a Transtar!! I've got a 1981 but with a gas engine. The original 400 was replaced with a 350. Anyway, I'll be following your progress and probably hitting you up for info and advice! . It's looking good! 👍🏻
Step up with some pictures buddy, from what I've seen online there was quite a bit of variety on interiors and some seriously groovy exterior patterns.

Happy to help with any questions you might have.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby View Post
Step up with some pictures buddy, from what I've seen online there was quite a bit of variety on interiors and some seriously groovy exterior patterns.

Happy to help with any questions you might have.
The inside looks to be almost identical, except the stove/sink is on the opposite side. I don't have the RADICAL spoiler either!

Our project appears to be in quite poorer shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	132482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	132483  

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	132484   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv engine.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	132485  

Old 07-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyrocker View Post
The inside looks to be almost identical, except the stove/sink is on the opposite side. I don't have the RADICAL spoiler either!

Our project appears to be in quite poorer shape.
That's awesome, I am seriously jealous of all the windows yours has. My daughter's only has the side and cab windows, your's has the forward facing ones as well as as the "alpine" windows in the roof.

Does yours run & drive? How old are the tires? Next time I bring it home I will send you the name of the tires she bought, they are not the Firestone Transforce that you can find on Tirerack, but some off-brand she found online but they were 75% of the price of the Firestone. Same 16.5 x 8.75, but they fit fine even though they are slightly larger than the OEM. Do you have access to all of your cargo compartments (well, the few that there are)? What about your genset, ours is missing entirely so we are going solar.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #53

Quote:
That's awesome, I am seriously jealous of all the windows yours has. My daughter's only has the side and cab windows, your's has the forward facing ones as well as as the "alpine" windows in the roof.

Does yours run & drive? How old are the tires? Next time I bring it home I will send you the name of the tires she bought, they are not the Firestone Transforce that you can find on Tirerack, but some off-brand she found online but they were 75% of the price of the Firestone. Same 16.5 x 8.75, but they fit fine even though they are slightly larger than the OEM. Do you have access to all of your cargo compartments (well, the few that there are)? What about your genset, ours is missing entirely so we are going solar.
It does run and drive. I had to do some work on the hydro break/steering system before it was marginally safe to drive. I need to do the breaks before I can really take it anywhere. It does run and drive. I had to do some work on the hydro break/steering system before it was marginally safe to drive. I need to do the breaks before I can really take it anywhere.

There's plenty of tread on the tires but but they all have cracking. I'd appreciate the make your daughter bought!

There's no generator in the box. What kind of solar setup are you going with?

There's plenty of tread on the tires but but they all have cracking. I'd appreciate the make your daughter bought!

There's no generator in the box. What kind of solar setup are you going with?

I think I only have one actual cargo box (with no door).

Yes it does have a lot of Windows!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #54

Good to see some Transtars here. I have an '82 20 footer. Owned it over 10 years and have had a lot of fun with it. I was a member on the defunct Champion Fleet Owners site.

Pretty basic RV. Turns heads where ever it goes. Here's an older pic. Basically looks the same, but the paint has faded a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2825-vi.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	134910  
timkustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkustom View Post
Good to see some Transtars here. I have an '82 20 footer. Owned it over 10 years and have had a lot of fun with it. I was a member on the defunct Champion Fleet Owners site.

Pretty basic RV. Turns heads where ever it goes. Here's an older pic. Basically looks the same, but the paint has faded a bit more.
That's awesome looking, any chance you could post up some more pictures of the inside for some inspiration? My daughter has stalled a bit being out of work, so once we got the interior gutted (mostly) she hasn't had the funds to do much with it.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #56

Quote:
That's awesome looking, any chance you could post up some more pictures of the inside for some inspiration? My daughter has stalled a bit being out of work, so once we got the interior gutted (mostly) she hasn't had the funds to do much with it.
Sorry to hear about the project stalling. Mine is still original and overall in pretty good shape. I keep the windows covered when it is not in use to keep the upholstery from fading. Again, older pics, but it still looks basically the same. The headliner material has started to come down, but it's on my fix list. I would like to replace the foam in the cushions as well.

timkustom is offline   Reply With Quote