Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #57

Wow, that's the same layout as my daughter's, thanks for posting the pictures.
We'll pick it up again, but at least for now it's too hot to work on it as we have to do everything outdoors, and working outdoors in the summer in SW Florida is a fools game.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby View Post
Wow, that's the same layout as my daughter's, thanks for posting the pictures.
We'll pick it up again, but at least for now it's too hot to work on it as we have to do everything outdoors, and working outdoors in the summer in SW Florida is a fools game.
Understand, I'm down in SWFL too (Bonita Springs). Get the roof AC going, not to bad to work on the inside then. LOL.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkustom View Post
Understand, I'm down in SWFL too (Bonita Springs). Get the roof AC going, not to bad to work on the inside then. LOL.
Sarasota here, though we lived for a few months last summer in Bonita Springs. We really liked it down there, but then again we were within a short bicycle trip to the beach.

We were talking about trying to do some testing on the house electrical in the hopes of finding the rooftop unit in working order. I cannot get it close enough to my garage to get the shore power cord over to the dryer plug, so I may have to just get some triplex and plugs from Lowes and make up a longer conductor.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #60

Quote:
Sarasota here, though we lived for a few months last summer in Bonita Springs. We really liked it down there, but then again we were within a short bicycle trip to the beach.

We were talking about trying to do some testing on the house electrical in the hopes of finding the rooftop unit in working order. I cannot get it close enough to my garage to get the shore power cord over to the dryer plug, so I may have to just get some triplex and plugs from Lowes and make up a longer conductor.
Do NOT plug into your dryer plug. Although they are the same shape an RV 30 Amp plug is not the same as a dryer plug. The RV will be 120v 30A and the dryer will be 220V 30A. The rv has one neutral, one ground and one hot. The dryer has one neutral and two hots. You will create more issues then you have now if you do plug into the dryer receptacle.

Mike
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcan View Post
Do NOT plug into your dryer plug. Although they are the same shape an RV 30 Amp plug is not the same as a dryer plug. The RV will be 120v 30A and the dryer will be 220V 30A. The rv has one neutral, one ground and one hot. The dryer has one neutral and two hots. You will create more issues then you have now if you do plug into the dryer receptacle.

Mike
You know, I know that but for some reason was just thinking about the amperage, thank you for the reminder.
Welp, back to the drawing board for testing shore power.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #62

Quote:
You know, I know that but for some reason was just thinking about the amperage, thank you for the reminder.
Welp, back to the drawing board for testing shore power.
Exactly! You can get an adapter like this:

Shop Camco Manufacturing 15-Amp 3-Wire Grounding Single to Single Yellow Basic Adapter at Lowes.com

Don't run too many things at once with it though (like vacuums, coffee pots or any other high wattage appliances). It should work to run/test the roof AC though.

I've used one to run my roof AC & fridge (mine has a dorm style AC only fridge).
Old 08-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #63

Our first RV was a Winnebago model that was only made for one year. Winnie sold the design to Transtar. Ours was on a Ford chassis with a carb-equipped 460 engine. It looked very much like yours, with the curved sides. The interior was an odd layout, with a standard-size double bed in the curb-side back corner with the bathroom alongside. It was 26' long.

It was gas hog you wouldn't believe - 6 mpg at sea level and 4.5 mpg at altitude. One season only, then we sold it!
Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #64

Love these RV's. Here is a CraigsList Advanced Google Search on the TransVan. https://www.google.com/search?as_q=t...pe=&as_rights=

Here is a couple of Transtars I found:

1983 Transtar

1985 chevy g30 camper van
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #65

I just bought a 1985 23 footer with lots of paperwork and manuals
I cant wait to get started on fixing it up.
I can send you copies of spec sheet if you need any that i have.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
Love these RV's. Here is a CraigsList Advanced Google Search on the TransVan. https://www.google.com/search?as_q=t...pe=&as_rights=

Here is a couple of Transtars I found:

1983 Transtar

1985 chevy g30 camper van
Yeah, I keep an eye on CL sales for Transtars, stylistically the late 70's Dodges were the best but to each their own.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathen View Post
I just bought a 1985 23 footer with lots of paperwork and manuals
I cant wait to get started on fixing it up.
I can send you copies of spec sheet if you need any that i have.
Congrats, post up some pictures, and if you have the time to scan and upload a .pdf of the manual it could be helpful as there isn't a lot of information out there for these RVs anymore. I bought a Champion manual on eBay a few months ago but it is on a CD-ROM and none of the computers in my family support that format anymore so I haven't been able to review it. I do have a Chevy Cargo van manual which covers the G20, G30 & P30 chassis. I can send a dropbox link to anyone who needs it.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #68

Haven't given up on this, have no fear. My daughter just started a new job with a major pay increase from her last one, meaning this fall she should have some dosh to pump into this mini-behemoth.
In the meantime I was able to transfer the CD_ROM Transtar manual onto a thumb drive, though its a bit of a jumble of pages so I will have to sort it out. Plus among the other files were a ton of appliance and fixture manuals so that's good to have.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #69

Hey Tidy Tabby! My fiance and I just bought a 1984 Transtar just like yours (It even has the A-team spoiler)! It's not a diesel though. It had a 350 put into it. Anyway, I saw that you were posting about any manuals or the like for your transtar? Well! it just so happens, that ours came with ALL the original manuals for EVERYTHING in the motor home. yes! EVERYTHING! from the fridge, to the water heater, to the repair and part numbers, etc. Anyway, I'll post pics soon, we just picked it up from the mechanics. Are you, (or any of you other transtar folks)wanting me to make a copy of it and somehow get it to you? I'd be happy to help you. Perhaps I can scan it, then attach it here as a PDF?
Old 10-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #70

Here are some pics of our Transtar. The previous owner completely rebuilt everything. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the white paint covering the original wood! I'm trying to decide if I want to take on that project getting rid of teh white wash!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	946156-1472502902-378427.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	140541   Click image for larger version

Name:	946156-1472502913-228327.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	140542  

Click image for larger version

Name:	946156-1472502951-490008.jpeg