Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #71
RCM

Nice! Been reading through all the post as I acquired a 1983 Chevy Transtar and have been looking for info on them. It was my grandfathers so Im excited to restore it. Hoping can get it towed next weekend to me! I know it is 22 to 23 feet long but worried about the width any know what the width is on them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #72

Hello I also bought1 of these. Any luck on finding a manual? Bought mine completely gutted. Looking for the wiring diagrams. Thanks

Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #73
RCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katclaws2 View Post
Hello I also bought1 of these. Any luck on finding a manual? Bought mine completely gutted. Looking for the wiring diagrams. Thanks
Once it arrives I will check if the manual is in it. should be this sat or next. Congrats!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #74

I have a complete manual! it has the wiring diagrams and EVERYTHING in it! how do I get it out to you all?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #75

I've attached the wire diagram. it is for a 1984, 23' transtar. I have the original manual, and the pics are pretty terrible! I hope you can make something of this!

let me know if it uploaded. its a PDF file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Transtar wire map.pdf (791.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #76

Thank you
Is there anyway I can get a copy of the entire Manual?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #77

I can't find the fuel filter
Old 10-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #78

Quote:

Yes! Katclaws! I am working on that. I'm trying to figure out how I can scan it, then post it here as a PDF, but it might be too big of a file to post on here. either way, I am scanning it into a PDF so I can give out to as many people as possible. it's for all models of the transtar, and transvan. I also have all the original manuels for the appliances.

this might take a week or so to get it done. so, thanks for your patience
Old 10-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
In 1989 I bought a 1979 TransVan, it was built on the Dodge chassis.
It had the 360 V-8, got 11 mpg on the highway, which is where it stayed most of the time. We took trips all over the U.S. in it. I still have my Pace Arrow, but
I'm currently restoring my '94 Dodge Ram Van back to it's previous glory. Although it's not a camper, it is a conversion and it's great for our quick and short vacations. When you get the TransStar back in working order you will LOVE it!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #80

Hey LilJen, that rig looks awesome. Oddly enough my daughter and I were talking about going white with light green trim on the interior, especially since our original woodwork is completely wasted.
Glad you got the manuals, its such a shame that people toss that kind of stuff. Good luck with yours, it looks ready to go as is!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #81
RCM

Quote:
This might help. Still going through all digital files. I scanned for my dad still have not found the transtar.
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #82

Hey y'all! I just came upon this thread while doing some research. I've recently taken a liking to the TranStar and TransVan RVs. I've found one for sale locally, as well as a cheaper one a few hours away that needs an engine rebuild (it has the 350), and it's sold as-is. I'm really enjoying seeing the progress made on this project, so I joined the forum to keep up with it. I was ecstatic to see a very recent thread on one of these beauties! I can't wait to see what you do to the interior! Good luck!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #83
RCM

Came across this online looking for vacuum diagram

Hope it helps all looking for manuals. I decided to leave it at fathers house till it is running well to have it towed 350 miles cost was too much. Get to see it and all it needs this weekend! File size to big no.. here is the link online. http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 11-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #84

So we rebuilt the alternator to help alleviate some of the charging problems. We also replaced both engine batteries again as the ones we bought in the summer were both dead, like wouldn't take a charge kind of dead. Starts up a lot quicker now. My daughter has ordered a new brake master cylinder we will install this weekend, aling with new pads and shoes. If we don't get to the pads, we'll at least get the master cyl installed and flush the brake lines on all four corners which we can do with all four tires in the ground. We might look at refacing the discs and drums, I recall the discs having some pitting on them when I first started working on this thing. She ain't dead yet!