Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Transtar by Champion

So I don't know the length, but my daughter just purchased a Transtar By Champion class B (B+ maybe?) based on a cutaway Chevy G30 van chassis. I have been having a heck of a time finding details on these things, it seems like every link that I can find to Champion stuff is dead now. No manuals, nothing. I did download a G30 chassis service manual, so at least the mechanicals of the van are covered, but I'd like to find out more about the RV part of it as well. As you can see by the pictures, it'll need quite a bit of work.

[/QUOTE]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #2

Love the spoiler!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Love the spoiler!
Yeah, I told her that was the "A-Team Van Option Package", it's even the correct year! If only I could convince her to repaint black with a red stripe...
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Love the spoiler!
yea, cool
Old 04-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

looks like dad has his work cut out for him, it will be neat though
Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
looks like dad has his work cut out for him, it will be neat though
Yeah, I've been walking through this project in my dreams the past few nights. I am trying to get my daughter to start thinking about this in steps. What comes first?, what is most critical?, does it need to run first or does it need to be clean first?, etc. We'll see if it sinks in, she is already trying to find RV parks around here to take it too. Gotta slow that train down just a little.
As for my list;
Fix leaks (don't want to ruin my driveway)
Clean
Engine & tranny oil changes
Rust mitigation
Belts & hoses
Cooling system
Charging system & new battery
Brakes
Fuel system
Chassis lube
Tires (I like to leave tires to the last so I am not tempted to take it anywhere too early in the process until the other out-of-sight safety stuff is done).
RV specific stuff (No idea what all this will be, as I've never restored an RV, but I imagine flushing the plumbing & tanks, checking all the wiring & interior lighting, upholstery, more?)
Old 04-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #7

Its home

Windshield is super shattered. Couple of odds and ends knocking around inside of the cab. No fridge (I don't think my daughter realized that). Had to run home in the middle of the day to unload it from the wrecker so I haven't had a chance to really dig into it, but it didn't present any leaks, though that could simply indicate a lack of fluids entirely. We'll clean it up and see where it goes from there.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very cool project!
Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #9

you might have more luck searching for "TransVan", that's the name I remember. Not quite sure what the TransStar relationship is. Bigger? Newer? Same?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
you might have more luck searching for "TransVan", that's the name I remember. Not quite sure what the TransStar relationship is. Bigger? Newer? Same?
Transvan became Transtar, so newer at least.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #11

Finally got a chance to spend some time on/in this thing. What I know so far;
-It had about 2-1/2 quarts of oil in the engine. I drained it and refilled with 15w40 Rotella.
-Put a wrench on the crank and the engine spins
-Radiator is full, and the coolant looks nice and green.
-Transmission fluid looks good.
-Battery is dead as dead can be. Had it on charger for 32 hours and it is barely holding 9 volts. I did hook my 4Runner to the battery leads via jumper cables and the cab lights, dashboard gauges, stereo and headlights worked. I charged the glowplugs and tried to turn over the engine but either the battery in the Toyota is too small (715 cranking amps vs 810 listed on the van's battery) or the starter is on the way out as it just rapidly clicked, but didn't spin the engine. Probably cheap insurance to rebuild it and replace the solenoid.
-Brake master cylinder is shot.
-Found and cleaned numerous zerk fittings under the chassis. I believe the manual listed 14 lubrication points underneath, I found 7 so far but I wasn't really hunting for them so much as finding them by chance and cleaning them off for later grease work.
-Pulled apart and/or opened every available compartment outside and inside. Some of the systems are making more sense, for example I had wondered if it had a diesel generator fed from the main tank, turns out it was gas, and there is a separate gasoline tank just for the genny (said generator being absent however, so this tank is essentially useless).
-I had wondered why I couldn't find the waste connection and drain valve, turns out the pipe and valve are gone leaving an open hole in the waste water tank.
-No idea if there is any fuel in it as the fuel gauge didn't work, though there are a ton of loose wires beneath the chassis so it could just be the sending unit is disconnected. I suppose I could have thumped the fuel tank while I was crawling around underneath. A job for next time.
-Chassis looks pretty rust free minus a couple spots that should clean up ok.
-Hood and passenger side door, unfortunately, are wasted due to rust.
-The interior is a mess, carpet has to go, much of the furniture shows signs of water damage so we need to investigate where water is getting in, fix that, then replace the damaged stuff. I've been looking for an excuse to get back into woodworking...

All in all there is still some life in her.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #12

Is it outrageous to think about using proper wood instead of the particle/press-board the original cabinetry and furniture is made of? It might even save me the trouble of having to get laminate if I can just get some lumber with a nice finish and stain it.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #13

Looks like a project but looks fun at the same time I love the older rvs.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby View Post
Is it outrageous to think about using proper wood instead of the particle/press-board the original cabinetry and furniture is made of? It might even save me the trouble of having to get laminate if I can just get some lumber with a nice finish and stain it.
being a cabinet maker, I would go real wood, it's no heavier than MDF covered with simulated wood vinyl paper or laminate. It looks much nicer too, just have to forget about using 3/4" plywood or weight will add up real quick.