Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

Red face travel electric hookup

we have a 1983 28ft pace arrow. when you disconnect the long electrical ac cord do you pulg the smaller that goes into the rig itself (large three prong)adaptor corr into the ac cord or is it seperate while traveling and just plugged in by itself?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I'll take a wild guess and presume you do not have an automatic transfer switch ... that means you have to manually move an electrical connector if you want to change from shore power to generator power, or vice versa. So, if you want to use your generator while traveling you would need to make the connection. ...and if you do NOT want to use your generator while traveling, you do NOT need to make that connection.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #3

electrical hook up

thx we do not have an auto switch if we are on the road we should have power cord and the adaptor ie the three prong plugged into the pace. but if we are to run the generator just plug in the small adapter 3pronge into the recepticle by its self. ??we know if the refrig is not on electic we have to switch to propane. we had a crash course on the pace . so i hope everyone will be patient . we look forward to meeting other rvers. we live right down the road from lake lahontan. which is a dry camping site. so if anyone has some dry camping advie it would be appreciated :-) debbie
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
OK also new to this whole thing, but we too have a 83 Pace Arrow, and we do not have to do anything, when we unplug the shore power cord, in order to be able to run off the generator, in fact we can run both at the same time to no ill effect.

At least I have not noticed or discovered a problem after doing so, at almost each time I plug my 30 amp into shore power I always start and run the generator to get it warmed up.
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

its a question of dry camping. the people we bought our pace basically camped in shore camp sites. so we are trying to find out how we can dry camp while we are fishing we live in nevada we do have some wet?? camp sites but most are dry. we are looking forward to take our pace out.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #6

On ours, we unplug the 30 amp cord from the shore power and plug into a 30 amp plug we installed that is wired into the generator. To dry camp, we simply leave it like that. We removed the crappy RV fridge and replaced with an AC only undercounter dorm type fridge and a freezer.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #7

well we have shoreline plug and adaptor plug in the same compartment so when we are traveling and or running the generator ie 4.0 onan generator the plug should be in. but ocourse we would not be running the generator unless we were dry camping . if we had to we were told the gen burned a gallon an hour. we can run propane fridge w/ a switch ? thx deb
Old 11-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
ocourse we would not be running the generator unless we were dry camping
Why not? We rarely dry camp, but have apx 1,050 hrs on our generator. We frequently run it while driving ...to run the house ac or heat pump primarily. Often that takes care of the routine maintenance requirement to run/exercise the generator apx 1 hr per month. I would ALWAYS want the generator available while traveling, whether I actually am running it or not.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #9

My '87 Itasca does not have a transfer switch either so when we want power from the generator when dry camping (boondocking) the heavy cord is plugged into the receptacle in the motorhome. When camping with shore power available we unplug the cord ffrom the motorhome and plug it into the shore power receptacle.
even when you are running the fridge on propane it will probably be using 12v power for the controls. There are other items that draw power from your batteries when dry camping, like a propane alarm, most tvs, radios, etc.
Incandescant lights draw quite a bit of 12v power so limit the use or change to LEDs. I have installed LEDs in our MH along with solar panels and now we can dry camp for a week without running the generator. You may want to use your MH before deciding if you want to make changes.
When dry camping you will need to really watch how you use your fresh water. We have 50 gallons and my wife used this in 2 days before she got used to changes needed to make it last.
Planning short trips is what I recommend at first until you get an idea of how your new home will work for you. If you go to areas that have facilities close to where you will be may make things easier at first.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote