Originally Posted by Zoom45
My generator on my 1988 HR Alumalite is an ONAN Emerald Lite 4K BGE. It cranks and runs fine but it has all of a sudden started putting out too much voltage. When I turn on an inside light they are super bright and it blew a bulb. I checked voltage at the panel where the fuses are mounted and I read 23 volts. Does that mean the regulator is bad?
Are you saying your DC voltage is 23V?
When I had a "high generator voltage" problem on my coach it did not affect the 12VDC electrical system.
My "high generator AC voltage", (140V+), was caused by "sticking" generator linkage, (which caused my Onan 6.3 kw BGE to run too fast).
Cleaning and lubricating the linkage with WD-40 cured the problem.
BTW, Flight Systems has an excellent generator trouble shooting pdf online.
Here's a link: