Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #1

Truck tire dilemma.

We own a 1997 HD F250 that we keep in like new condition. Recently discovered the one front tire was wearing unevenly. Took it to a very good specialty shop and had the Ubolt that was cracked replaced. Pulled our paper work from Dunn tire and called them. The three remaining have plenty of tread left. Was informed our tires were discontinued and because the truck is a 4x4e have to replace all tires. Really mad as we have had many vehicles and never encountered this situation before. It is a USA Cooper tire Dean trail catLT235/85Ri6 E BWE. I even called to cooper tires in OHIO. I asked the customer service Rep if he could check all his dealers/warehouse for the one tire we need. Said he couldn't do that even after I explained we couldn't afford a set of tires at this time. Very poor customer service. Had the never to tell me to purchase mastercraft or cooper tires. DH may call a few used tire places on the slim chance one is available. A new set of tires would cost at least $650.00. Still seeing red from poor customer service. Any help appreciated. How about a finders fee? What brand should you buy that won't be discontinued in two years?Sorry for the typos.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

I can't see why you need to have all 4 of tha same tires besides for esthetics reasons, as long as they are the same size and similar tread designs a matched pair on the front and matched pair on the rear will do just fine and is perfectly safe
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #3

Sadly, I had poor customer relations with Cooper too.. which is why I went with Dunlops for my Class B.

It cost me about $1,000 for a set of 5 of the Dunlop Rover H/Ts (Yep, I needed 4+spare).

Dunlop makes an "RV" Rover too.. which I wasn't aware of. I'm not sure it's really any better than the Rover H/Ts. The RV ones cost about $60 more each.

Just get another brand of tire in the size you want and don't worry about it. Matched sets of tires are silly... it's about cosmetics, not actual performance. In my case I did since I needed all new tires. I replace as needed, not based on what the tire companies tell me to do since they just want more sales.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #4

I don't care what you have been told. You don't need to replace all four tires EVER. (Unless you plan to run in 4WD on dry pavement for more than a few miles at highway speed.)

The only thing I would do is keep both front tires close to the same. This is just a handling issue. So, if you replace one front tire with a new of the same, they still aren't close. And, the two tires on a dual need to be alike also.

Where do I get this? From being an engineer with an OE for lots of years and owning and wearing out several 4WD pickups.

Matt
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
I don't care what you have been told. You don't need to replace all four tires EVER. (Unless you plan to run in 4WD on dry pavement for more than a few miles at highway speed.)

The only thing I would do is keep both front tires close to the same. This is just a handling issue. So, if you replace one front tire with a new of the same, they still aren't close. And, the two tires on a dual need to be alike also.

Where do I get this? From being an engineer with an OE for lots of years and owning and wearing out several 4WD pickups.

Matt
If this post was partly directed at me... you don't know what you are talking about in regards to MY situation. (Although I see you mention 4WD and dually... which doesn't even apply to me).

I had 4 very dry rotted 16.5" tires that were 15-20 years old. Two of them were meant for mobile home use (as in, trailer house), not highway use. They were ALL dangerous and could have gone at any moment. The spare was flat and was also dry rotted.

I set the 16.5" rims with the old tires still on them out at the highway with a "FREE" sign and someone took them all. Good riddance.

So YES! There are times when you have to replace an entire set of tires at once.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
If this post was partly directed at me... you don't know what you are talking about in regards to MY situation. (Although I see you mention 4WD and dually... which doesn't even apply to me).
<snip>
Cubey,

I don't see how you could think that this was directed at you as none of the identifiers point to your case. It was intended to reassure OP that he need not buy a whole set of tires if what he has are in decent condition and not aged out.

Yes, the situation may call for replacing a set of tires all at once, but that is not common and most often (as in your stated case) is when the existing tires are over age.

Three times I remember well (over fifty odd years) that I had a tire damaged such that it could not be repaired and a new identical replacement was not available. Those are the cases I was referring to. Salesmen will try to tell you that you have to replace many more than is actually required. That is when it is important to know the facts as I outlined them above.

Just trying to spread some of my hard won knowledge before it is lost.

Matt
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Only if you have full time all wheel drive like mine do you have to use the same tires on all four wheels. On yours
I would look for a similar tread pattern and the same size and run it. It will be no problem at all.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
You only Need to have 4 tires of the same size and load rating.
That is IT! salespeople are are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
For over 10 years on my F450 that had those same size tires I ran on the back
(2) Mud tread tires
AND
(2) All terrain Tread tires.
It was quieter and smoother than if it had 4 Mud tires and with the mud treads on outside
If i got into a ditch on one side I had better traction than if it had 4 AT tires.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
sam-3,
I would buy a tire of the same size and similar tread pattern, then put them on the rear axle and the tires from the rear axle on the front. For braking purposes, dissimilar tread tires could react different under hard braking , so for safety, it is adviseable to hame the same tires on the front axle.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds to me like poor customer service, all right, but from whatever tire guy you're talking to rather than Cooper! Why sell just one tire if you can sell four, right?

As others have said, it's matching size/type that matters- not brand. I second the suggestion re. switching the two "matching" tires to the front since that's where control is most critical, and buying a single similar design replacement for the odd rear position.

This assumes of course that the remaining tires are only a couple of years old and in good shape, as I think I understand you to have said.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote