Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

Tub not draining

Well I am back moving from 1 problem to another.
I purchased an 86 HR Imperial with P37 chassis. Going thru everything for the first time and trying to learn all the RV systems since I've never done this before.
Today's issue is the tub not draining. It appears that both sinks are filling the tub. Toilet flushed and dump valve works. The gray tank didn't dump anything.
I looked down the vent from the roof and I can see it's not blocked down to the elbow. I lightly used a plunger but it didn't do anything and I didn't want to get too aggressive. The rv is winterized and still has antifreeze in the lines.
My gray water tank is on passenger side with kitchen sink (above tank). The tub and bath sink are on drivers side. Why would the kitchen sink go to opposite side then back to tank? My sensors say its empty but who knows if they are working correctly. My tanks also have rigid foam sprayed all over the connections so I don't know if I can take it apart without major demo.
What's my next step? Snake?
Daveputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Over full gray tank usually reveals itself by placing water in the tub/shower. Double check the tank is really empty. Else blockage somewhere redirecting water to the tub/shower. I have good success with the gel Drano.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #3

How do I check? If the sensor is bad, is there a manual way to check? Mine is sprayed with insulation.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Is you gray tank dump valve a direct 'hands on' pull or are you connected by a cable to the actual valve? You obviously have water in the tank from running it down sinks and in tub, so you should see water when valve is opened. You'll need to make sure the gate valve is actually moving when you pull the handle. If it's a cable pull, try to pull the actual gate open with vice grips or whatever to dump tank. Then remove and replace the gate valve and the pull cable if equipped. The valve itself is only held together with 4 bolts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #5

I find that is I use the stopper in the tub for showers it gives the drain a chance to push hair down with more volume of water with just one time drawn. Am I talking English?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Is you gray tank dump valve a direct 'hands on' pull or are you connected by a cable to the actual valve?
It looks similar to this...

Name:   Capture.PNG
Views: 179
Size:  45.8 KB
I will take a look inside if possible to check if the gate is opening. It was a lot harder to pull than the black water valve.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry about the bad spelling. You could try some silicone spray on the rod, but it might have pulled loose of the actual plastic gate slide. Since the tank is probably full (water backing up into tub) that adds pressure to the valve and makes opening it harder. If you drain the tank and the valve is still stiff, you can replace the gaskets and use plumber's lube (silicone grease) on the valve gate and to help hold the gaskets in place as you reassemble the valve.

On many RVs, the grey tank valve is smaller than the black tank valve, make sure you get the right size.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #8

Just checked the valve and I can see it IS opening when I pull. Just purchased a snake, will start gently, hopefully that gets it.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Unless you can see up the pipe and see the actual gate opening, how do you know it's opening? The metal rod can move but be detached from the gate. If your snake hits an obstruction at the distance up the drain to the gate, it's still not moving. If you push a plastic shower curtain up under the valve, you could unscrew the valve body, let water drain away on the plastic and rebuild or replace the valve.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

I can see it opening. It's only a few inches away from the 90
Old 06-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
O.K., gently probe with the snake. Hope you're wearing old clothes!

Bob & Donna
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #12

I'm afraid!!! Not sure how old the water is in the tanks! I remodeled an old house and dealt with old gray water in the pipes and it still sends shivers!!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #13

Used a 20' snake from the dump side and extended it all the way out. Went from tub, couldn't fit it down the drain without forcing it so I went thru the vent under bathroom sink. It's only a few inches downstream from tub. Went all 20' and nothing.
Went to kitchen sink and same thing.
Went up on roof and went down vent on tub side...nothing.
Went to the other vent on passenger side, not sure where this one goes to. Snake went down drain extremely quickly and popped out of handle and down the drain where it now sits. Gone to bed frustrated. This shouldn't be that difficult, I'm quite handy around the house I promise
Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #14

Starting to feel a little silly. After a few hours of troubleshooting I realized the tub does drain fine. It won't drain the last few inches when the rv is parked on a slight down hill. I didn't think it was much of a slope but when looking how the tub drains, it all makes sense now.
Now I am off to my next item on the list! Hopefully I will be a little more efficient!