Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

Turn on fridge process

I searched and couldn't find instructions in how to turn on the fridge in an old motorhome.
How level does it need to be to run it? My RV is parked 6-8" out of level over 33'. The jacks make up some of this but not all.
Mine is the original in an 86 Holiday Rambler Imperial.
I read they auto select elec over propane. Can I plug into shore power and turn on and leave it?
If I run it on propane do I need to light something?
I tested the ice maker and it got cold quickly but didn't run any water to see if it makes ice yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #2

reefer model would help but the older reefers needed to be pretty level on gas not as picky on electric.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Functionally they work the same on gas or elec. The only difference is the energy source. Point being, needs to be fairly level either way.

Dave, Dometic is still in business, one of the more popular brands. A full set of operating directions likely available if you Google the refer model number.

Regarding leveling, you want perfect, but half a bubble off is OK. Use the level placed on the shelf in the freezer. If it doesn't have one, use the floor of the freezer. Once you know where it's at using that for reference, you can check the floor or counter tops to see if they match what you have in the freezer. If so, you can use those to level in the future (easier/quicker). -Al
Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Functionally they work the same on gas or elec. The only difference is the energy source. Point being, needs to be fairly level either way.

Dave, Dometic is still in business, one of the more popular brands. A full set of operating directions likely available if you Google the refer model number.

Regarding leveling, you want perfect, but half a bubble off is OK. Use the level placed on the shelf in the freezer. If it doesn't have one, use the floor of the freezer. Once you know where it's at using that for reference, you can check the floor or counter tops to see if they match what you have in the freezer. If so, you can use those to level in the future (easier/quicker). -Al

Thanks, it gives me a reference to start.

Tags
fridge