Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #1

Tv antenna questions

On the roof of my 20 year old RV which I just recently purchased is the remains of one of those crank up TV antennas, no antenna, just the base mount part. Also forward of that mount is a round flying saucer shaped TV antenna, the wire from that antenna runs back to the old mount and disappears into the roof. inside there is no crank for the antenna.
Yesterday I decided to change the battery inn the smoke detector and when I took it down I saw the bottom of the TV roof mount, just the part the crank would be attached to.
My question is where did they typically run the antenna wire, I cannot find it antwhere, my tv is mounted in the dash and I have not removed it yet.
this RV came with a satelite disk antenna and tripod mount in a storage box, and a coil of antenna wire, but I see no where to connect it.

suggestion please

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Antenna wires usually run in the roof to the tv. Since its in the dash, it must run down a side wall then to the dash. I would think after you remove the tv, most of this should be clear.

Since there is an mobile antenna and tri-pod, I would look under the dash (probably close to a side window) for a coax cable that it would plug into. Again, probably be more clear with the tv out.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: The spot where it goes through the roof is normally a disconnect point.. Just to make it easy for you.. What the wires do INSIDE, I can't tell you. (Varies coach to coach).

They do not go to the TV though, they go (or should) to a switch Either a box of many buttons (or a cabinet with many cables) or a wall plate (usually) with a switch, 12 volt outlet and antenna connection. With the 12 volt outlet at the top, looking at the BACK SIDE of the plate, it's the cable on the left.

There are other options too.

Page 2: That "Flyign saucer" is .. Junk, now days, was never the best and now it's the worst.

page 3: The "JACK" may fit on the remains of the crank up, uses same cable and indoor parts. IF too much of the crank up is missing.. Get the other Jack, or a Sensar III or IV from Winegard.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon69 View Post
Antenna wires usually run in the roof to the tv. Since its in the dash, it must run down a side wall then to the dash. I would think after you remove the tv, most of this should be clear.

Since there is an mobile antenna and tri-pod, I would look under the dash (probably close to a side window) for a coax cable that it would plug into. Again, probably be more clear with the tv out.
How do these tripod sat antennas work? do you just plug it in and aim for a satellite? I never used one
Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito
How do these tripod sat antennas work? do you just plug it in and aim for a satellite? I never used one
Never had in an RV, but yes, thats basically it. You of course need Sat service and a Sat receiver/tuner.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
That is more or less how they work, yes.. The trick is in the "plug them in" part.

I recommend running a new length of RG-6 coax cable from the receiver to a connection point, basement or bulkhead. and then on from there to the tripod.

Aiming is as follows.

IN the set up menu enter your zip code, read (and note) the suggested settings.

With tripod mast PLUMB (This is important) More so on multi-sat dishes) pre-set the elevation and tilt or skew (same thing, depends on service provider what they call it) now slowing swing the antenna through the recommended azimuth angle while watching a portable monitor screen.

Get a lock, right satellite, peak it, lock the antenna down and enjoy, (on dish do a check switch, on Direc you are done, (Check switch is like 5 buton pushes start to finish) (Check dish ends with a forced load of the EPG, this is why you do it every time you set up)
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Look on the outside of your rig for a fitting for you coaxial cable.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
Look on the outside of your rig for a fitting for you coaxial cable.
I found the plug for the antenna, I traced the antenna lead around the motor and into the LF wheel well and into the chassis somewhere. When I was crawling under to change the rear brake line I hid my head on it, it was sticking down under the camper about two feet aft of the rear wheel and almost completly hidden from sight, but it was easy to access. Why the heck whould they run the wire all that way.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first thought is that antenna wire might double as a cable TV hookup which is normally on the left side rear at campgrounds. Just a guess.

Tags
antenna