Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unexpected gift

I posted a thread awhile back about the worth of a 94 Thor Residency. I was wanting to purchase it from my daughters future father inlaw. Well I got a call from her yesterday. She told me that he wants to give the rv to me because he has no use for it and he wanted it to go to someone that could and would use it. I'm floored! So now I'm the owner of said rv. Now I'm needing to find an rv center in San Diego that can go through the engine, trans, brakes. I know its going to need tires even though they are only 4 yrs old. This rig has been sitting for 3 to 4 yrs. It has been started every month so the engine is good. Once I get it home (Texas) I can start on the rest of the systems . I'm planning to go pick it up after the first of the year so I do have a little time to plan my trip home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #2

Wow... what an amazing blessing. Congratulations... and ENJOY!!

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are going to have a lot of fun with this rig . We are going to start a list of places to go when we get it home and are able to get everything working properly.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Congrats on the unit!
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check with your Daughters future Father-in-law and see if he did the maintenance himself or if he used a local service center. If he used a local service center and would recommend them I would try to get them to go through it since they would probably have records on the work they did in the past.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jfran304 this rv was inherited from his father who passed away a few weeks ago. He had cancer. The last time it was serviced was in Colorado 3 or 4 yrs ago. When they drove it to San Diego to where it sits today. The only service records they found are all in Colorado. My future son in law said he drove drove it around the block and it ran great . The trans shifted perfectly. The brakes worked fine. I wish I could fly out there to do this myself but work and day to day life just won't allow it right now. This is like getting snow ski's and there's no snow. Lol
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Gifts unexpected

Thor are great coaches and learning about rving your in the right place there is a ton of knowledge on this site. Very happy for you get that puppie back to Texas and start enjoying it. Keep them shining
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #8

Try RV Ready(you can get their info on their website)....they are in Temecula about 25 miles north of San Diego. That's what they specialize in and if there's any remods you want to do, they also do that. They do great job and are very reasonable, you won't be disappointed.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you. Ive been searching for a good place. I will contact them and see what they can do for me. I will keep this thread updated as this little adventure unfolds.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too bad it wasn't serviced locally. You might want to contact the service center in Colorado and see if they have any records they would send you.

If you haven't found a service center you can check this site to see if anybody has recommended or had problems with a service center in the area.

RV Service Reviews

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #11

I can also recommend a shop in the Temecula area, Temecula Valley RV is where I drive from San Diego for service on my rig. I've had normal service, as well as the install of a complicated solar panel system, inverter upgrade, interior work, etc. Always honest, and good communication from the service writers.

Best of luck with your new rig,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CARFAX--go on line and pay for the car fax and all records--doesn't cost mush and you'll get a starting point (not all places enter info into data bases, so you may not get all info on what has or hasn't been done). You can also do a VIN check to see if there are any recalls on that unit and what is open still. You can also get an independent rv inspector to go do the inspection (just like a house inspector) and they will give you a written report with pictures of what they find--just get a RIVA guy with recommendations (TX has many). Having a dealer to the once over is asking for a big bill, especially if you aren't local--they are just looking for easy work with high labor. Good luck!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow Pretty Cool Story, Should check out the stories forum and of course stay here also. Congrat's and have a great time, You're going to love it.
Happy Holiday's
Tim
ps don't forget the picture's inside and out.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And yet I'm floored again! So my future son in law just called and said they were clearing out some of his grandfathers belongings in the rv and found documents that show that the whole electrical system had been completely replaced along with all the appliances. He doesn't know why but it was done through his insurance. They are taking it to rv ready on Monday to have them go through it just to Make sure its good. The father already took it to his mechanic and had all the fluids changed and check the tires at his tire shop. The tires are in great shape. They told him I should get at least 5 more yrs out of them. They sent me the title this morning so I should be getting it in a day or so. My new plan is to go pick it up next month.