Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best way to increase mileage is slow down. Running at 65 to 70 I get 6.5 to 7 mpg average. Running 55 to 60 I get 7.5 to 8 mpg and that's towing my toad. Headers and air filter will increase performance, very minimal increase the mpg.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchbri25 View Post
recurved distributor? what does this do and how much does something like that run? where do you go for something like that?
There is a place I went to in Grand Rapids Mi. Paramount Distributor Company
If you look up JimElliott on here ( IRV2 ) ( he has since passed ) he was a wealth of information about the carb engines He talked extensively about distributors.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboardr View Post
did you try Discount Exhaust Systems - Exhaust System Parts at Wholesale Prices ? They have parts for my '88 351...
Thanks for the site. There's a lot of "universal headers" but what does that mean? how does that work? don't they have to all be different to fit the different head configurations? This is definitely a possible solution but I just don't know if it will work.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
450Donn,
I have run the K&N products for years with absolutely zero problems. While you do say an improperly serviced system, that is true of the stock system also. They do make dry cleanable filters also(not K&N) which I mentioned.
As far as adding the headers, the older motorhomes did not have overdrive and the motors turn 3000 to 3500 rpm at cruising speed, so opening up the exhaust makes a significant difference.
Frank
I do already have a K&N cleanable filter and an upgraded giant air intake air scoop forward of the fire wall with a dryer hose, for lack of a better word, feeding the air cleaner. I thought I had a transmission with overdrive but now I'm questioning thatů I'll look into that.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I added ceramic coated headers to my 95 HR Vacationer with a 460 before my trip out to Mt Rushmore. While I'm very happy I made this modification to the rig, I cannot say for sure what my mileage increase was... However, I told myself I gained about 1 mpg more than previously experienced.

I will say, the factors of topography and wind will play a significant role in MPG. That being said, I really enjoyed the extra power and responsiveness I gained from the upgrade.

I don't know what type/model RV you have, but if possible, you may want to consider ceramic coating the headers or, at least, buying some header heat wrap prior to installing them. The one thing I noticed was the reduction in heat around the dog house. That was nice, especially for my gas pedal foot.

Good luck... and another suggestion... DO NOT go cheap on the mufflers you use... I bought regular ones the first time and blew them up on the first trip (rather embarrassing driving to my campsite at 10:00pm)... I purchased the better full weld "racing style" ones the second time... You'll be pushing A LOT of pressure down the line with the headers and, in my case with the ceramic coat, A LOT heat..
heat reduction is probably the #1 reason for going this route so that's good to hear. Also the previous owner, my great uncle, had a muffler catch the water compartment on fire from the heat pushing through there so I definitely see the need for a good exhaust system.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re: headers: Normally I would say they are not goign to pay for themselves, but since you have to replace the exhaust manifold anyway, that seriously cuts their cost.. I would not expect a great improvement, but it won't take much to recover the cost.

As to the K&N.. I have read those warnings about how they let more "Grit" though over and over.. I've also talked to my brother who used to be a dirt biker,,, he said that he, and his fellow dirt bikers, all ran K&N, they regularly tore down engines and there was no evidence of grit damage..

So, where do I sit on K&N filters? Squarly atop the fence, where else.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When comparing header two things are important. Flange thickness and tube gauge. Thin flanges will warp faster then the stock manifolds. Thin gauge tubes will burn out quicker, especially with the hot exhaust of a motor home.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #22

my biggest gain was with Jimelliots mod
Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
my biggest gain was with Jimelliots mod
X2
Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #24

Not sure if you will see much mileage increase, unless you travel at higher speeds. If done right, you will definitely see significant power gains. When I was running the 454, I installed Thorely headers. Did not see much power improvement until I switched to Magnaflow mufflers. Previously had Flowmaster 50 series. I switched to Flowmaster 70 series, which were terrible. Lost a couple of miles per gallon, and lost 2 seconds off my zero to 60 times, compared to after I installed the Magnaflows.

Tri-y have a broader power band than single tube headers. Every comparison dyno test I have seen show them coming on earlier, and maintaining the increase all the way up. It could be that at extreme RPMs a single tube may have a higher peak, but at the RPMs we run, the Tri-Y will be much better.

When I would push speed, my mileage used to plummit. After the Thorleys and Magnaflows, I took a 1000 mile round trip. On the way going, I was pushing 85 mph+ most of the way. I got 8.2 mpg. On the return trip I tried to keep it under 70 mph, and my mileage only increased to 8.4 mpg.

BTW:I can't say enough bad things about Flowmaster. They flow poorly, they are noisey, and their tech support are idiots.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
460 Ford with Banks Package

I installed a complete banks package on my1991 37ft 3 axle 460 pace arrow. My mileage towing a 2007 grand caravan on a dolly went from 8 up to ten.
Power increase is fantastic. I will never recover the cost, but the benefits out way the cost. More power, better milage, cooler running. No more cracked headers or broken studs.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wanted the Banks but they discontinued it last year (the model they have now is for fuel injected and not compatible with the John Deere Chassis). I couldn't get the Gibson either so I ended up with a set of Hedman headers and I'm changing the exhaust to duel mufflers with 3"in and 3" out which will hopefully really let it breathe. I'll hopefully have it running in a few days and I'll be able to tell in a couple of weeks what gains I have.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
so what's a jimelliot mod?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
For Chevy and GMC owners the headers are great for more power but i went one more way. I bought a Eidelbrock carb for a q-jet design Helped with power. Also went with MSD for fire and you can remove more drag in the motor with roller lifters and roller lifters. I went with flowmasters for the duel exhaust and 3" pipes went to 10mph and slower speeds like 55 to 65 range higher when u are on say I-10 with a lot of trucks running 75 -80. Get the feeling that i would be getting run over at times. A lot more power with the mods made. On some of the "hills" i had to go down to 2nd gear but with the mods i didn't have to downshift. All and all i put a bunch of funds in it. If you plan owning the rig for 10+ years you will get your money back with the mods. In our case the home got totaled so i lost it before it had payed for itself but someone got a great engine out there somewhere. The transmission also got rebuilt by me no less. Made the shift a bit faster on it so there was less slip on acceleration. Didn't add any miles but transmission ran cooler. Just my 2 cents worth. good luck with your fixes, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel