Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #29

I bought a used Onan 5500 for my previous gas rv for around 900 cdn dollars. It took about three hours to change out. Far less hassle being able to just hit the button on the dash to start or stop. Also where are you going to carry the fuel. Having jerry cans in closed up compartments can be a recipe for disaster. Much better drawing from the main rv tank. I was so happy when I got the generator fixed. Resale value is better with the genny working correctly. Probably make it worth more than the cost to replace or repair it. Good luck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredNeuman View Post
I think U bolts may be a better description of how I anchor it to the carrier. They are similar to Exhaust clamps. Got them at Home Depot with Lock nuts.

You know when it is bolted to the carrier you never have to worry about it again.

Just pull the carrier and generator off the RV as a unit.
Hope it helps...

What about fueling did you leave it on the carrier? We are planning on refueling at gas stations
nc77089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #31

Gas

My Generator has the cap on top of it.

So once I gas the RV i just pull up 10 ft and gas the generator.... NO muss NO Fuss.....
AlfredNeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredNeuman View Post
My Generator has the cap on top of it.

So once I gas the RV i just pull up 10 ft and gas the generator.... NO muss NO Fuss.....
One more question. What do you use to protect it from the weather while going down the roads?
nc77089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #33

Honestly........ Never thought about it...the one time it rained on me i just used it without problem.

I would say the correct answer would be not to use it and leave it covered.......
AlfredNeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #34

Contractors run portable generators in the rain all of the time.

I stored my EU2000 uncovered for 8 years. Ran it in the rain if needed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #35

Should work as long as you camp a few hundred yards from anyone else. Then at least you will be the only one that has to put up with the noise. Fine at a noisy construction site. Terrible in a quiet camping area!
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #36

I built a platform to carry my genny and spare gas cans.

I made up a pair of supports by welding 2 inch to 1-1/4 inch receiver adapters to plate steel and bolting the assemblies to the existing stabilizer jack plates already welded to the frame. Adding the 1-1/4 ball mounts to the platform allows easy removal by just removing one bolt on each side.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I built a platform to carry my genny and spare gas cans.

I made up a pair of supports by welding 2 inch to 1-1/4 inch receiver adapters to plate steel and bolting the assemblies to the existing stabilizer jack plates already welded to the frame. Adding the 1-1/4 ball mounts to the platform allows easy removal by just removing one bolt on each side.

Your storing gas cans inches from the water heater flame !!!???
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc77089 View Post
I have a 32 foot Class A motorhome with a 5500 Onan generator on board the only problem is that the Generator is having some bad problems leaking oil so I have bought myself a smaller portable champion 3650 generator I am securing it on to the back with a hitch basket and plugging it in. So we can have power while driving. Has anyone ever done this or is it safe to do? I also plan on getting one of those generators storm tents to put over to protect it from the weather while we're driving.

I've been doing that for years. My CO detector has never gone off.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #39

What was wrong with gettin the Onan fixed?
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #40

Worked at many campgrounds over the years. At one, on the Colorado River, dirt bags would come in at night, cut the chains and take the generator. Fast and no noise.
So as someone said earlier, Bolt that thing down and don't depend on a chain to keep it secure.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
I wouldn’t worry about carbon monoxide. I would clamp that down with c-clamps and chain it. Maybe add a fuel tank, looks like there is room.

https://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=1032

Out of curiosity, how many hours on the onan? Any tech will be able to diagnose it. If you have or are passing a Cummins dealer, stop in and let them have a look. The smoke could be anything. Even a drop or two of oil anywhere near the exhaust would seem extreme.
Yeah , do you have any idea what Cummins shop hour charge is ? 65+ for them to tell you that you need a new carb . Because the new techs are all about parts replacement not diagnostic. 147$ later plus labor and no guarantees, fact !
Onans suck fuel and are noisy. I have two, the micrlite 4000 is very temperamental... runs when it feels like it , no ryme or reason. 5500 is very reliable but who needs 5500 running all day for a frig and a/c ?
maddczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Like "twinboat" pointed out...

Please tell us you remove those cans before you fire up that water heater!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PFDndfu.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	238454  

Tags
generator