Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

value of older model RVs

How do I find the value of an old RV that isn't even being manufactured anymore?

Both are from the early 1980's, both have over 75k in miles, both are 30 ft. One is a Chevy and the other is GMC.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #2

Try google and see what they're selling for? Just a suggestion.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #3

They are worth exactly what you are willing to pay for them
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #4

The bank won't loan more than the average retail found in the NADA Guide (where they don't show up) and searching the web finds very few models to get a meaningful comparison.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #5

The bank won't likely give a loan for something that old. When I was in the market, '80's models were less than $3000 for the mid-upper tier class A's as per NADA. I would have to believe that 70's models will be about half that.

It really boils down to the RV will be worth as much as someone is willing to spend. At this age, book value is meaningless.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

NADA and similar pricing outfits don't place much value in older RVing rigs, MH's or trailers. Our '88 Kit 5er was only valued at around $2500 or so last I looked, and our '88 Winnine MH not much more. BUT, as stated further above, where the older stuff is concerned, it's all about what YOU are willing to sell, or pay, that counts - and that can vary widely where RV condition is concerned - and what real value YOU put upon it. We paid $7000 for the MH a couple of years ago - lots more than book value - but it was low mileage and clean - and quite free of the "owner re-engineering" in structure and wiring than many older RVs seem to suffer from over the years - I don't in the slightes regret what we paid for ours, regardless of NADA quotes...

And there's no way I'd sell our '88 Kit 5er for what the book sez it's worth...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by islecop92 View Post
Try google and see what they're selling for? Just a suggestion.
Actually that's the best barometer, check and see what people are selling them for roughly.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatpony View Post
The bank won't likely give a loan for something that old. When I was in the market, '80's models were less than $3000 for the mid-upper tier class A's as per NADA. I would have to believe that 70's models will be about half that.
My banker didn't voice any concern about the age. I found what I needed after I had started this thread. Thank you for your help.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djconklin View Post
My banker didn't voice any concern about the age. I found what I needed after I had started this thread. Thank you for your help.
All right then, good luck and have fun on your quest
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of the old tag axle GMC's are worth quite a bit restored. We happened upon a rally at a campground at Amana Colonies, Iowa, a few weeks ago. One of them had been restored and was said to worth about 100K.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
2 years ago, most were trying to get $6k for them.. now they are going for $3500-$4000 for 'never leaked'/good-newer tires, and maybe $2000-$3000 for 'needs a little tlc'/tires..
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #12

Ran into a scam that you might want to warn people about. Where most RV's are over-priced relative to the NADA Guide. This one was under-priced--only $2,999 for a vehicle worth at least $17k!

The email that was sent in response said that it was stored on a "military compound" near Casper, WY. I've always heard of "military bases"--not compounds so I checked. On another forum a user noted email wording was quite similar to mine that was being used to sell a car--also very under-priced.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #13

Very common scam on Craigslist. The old saying rings true, "if it sounds too good to be true, it is"
Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #14

I ran into a number of these while looking for mine. The terms they used were usually not accurate. Mixing Army terms for Airforce. Things like that. Plus the prices were ALWAYS too good to be true. The seller was generally unavailable. And the unit was "in storage and ready for shipping".

Tags
rvs