Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Triker56's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,950
Now add a Tire monitor with 4 sensors and you will be all set.
No need to take valve caps off to check the PSI.
__________________

__________________
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Oops got in a little late---scratch this except the part about the valve caps.

Nice looking job, MH and tires and congrats.
Thanks for the congrats, and I like the style of this Amera Coach. Not too big, not too small, just right... And paid for...
__________________

__________________
IAN (houseboats are RV's on the water)
1988 Amera Coach 23ft, dodge 360, Onan 4k
imorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Now add a Tire monitor with 4 sensors and you will be all set.
No need to take valve caps off to check the PSI.
Hmmmm... Xmas is coming....

I'm a newbie when it comes to tire monitors.

Any ideas what I should use as Tire Monitors?
__________________
IAN (houseboats are RV's on the water)
1988 Amera Coach 23ft, dodge 360, Onan 4k
imorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Stems look good.. know what I'm gonna do next tire change
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 61
First let me say that your tyre stems (and your Motorhome) look great. That should make checking the tyre pressure a breeze.
Second I would like to apoligise for not answering your questions in a more timely fashion, but we were mourning the loss of our feline travelling companion Clancy who was killed by a hit and run driver on Wednesday.

As we live in an area where the nearest weight scale is about an hour and a half away, I needed an alternative method to determine the correct inflation pressure for my tyres. I used the chalk method; where you put a wide chalk line accross your tyre and then drive it forward about 100yards. Inspecting the chalk mark on the tyre will indicate whether you need to add or remove pressure. If the chalk is still on the outside edges of the tyre, but mostly gone from the middle then the tyre is overinflated, the opposite would indicate an underinflation situation. I adjusted pressures untill the chalk mark was worn the same accross the surface of the tyre. Because the motorhomes weight is not perfectly balanced, I found that the drivers side required about 8psi more then the passanger side. I inflated both tyres to the drivers side result plus another 5psi, I ended up with 67 psi in the fronts. I did the same for the rear duals, equalizing the pressure on all four tyres, ended up at 58psi.
I check the temperature at the outside areas and the middle of each tread. I am looking for equal temperatures +/- 5 degrees. The temperature of each tyre is allways a little different- weight distribution, road crown etc. but have with one exception been within my arbitrary limits. The only time it wasn't my temperature was much warmer on the outside tread area. Gauge checking the pressure showed 56psi. After pumping it back up to 70psi, I had it checked at a tyre shop--leaking valve core.Cheap and easy.
After having said all that, I am going to invest in a tyre pressure monitoring system, and the next time I take it by the govt weigh station I will get it weighed.
__________________
Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumperfood View Post
First let me say that your tyre stems (and your Motorhome) look great. That should make checking the tyre pressure a breeze.
Second I would like to apoligise for not answering your questions in a more timely fashion, but we were mourning the loss of our feline travelling companion Clancy who was killed by a hit and run driver on Wednesday.

As we live in an area where the nearest weight scale is about an hour and a half away, I needed an alternative method to determine the correct inflation pressure for my tyres. I used the chalk method; where you put a wide chalk line accross your tyre and then drive it forward about 100yards. Inspecting the chalk mark on the tyre will indicate whether you need to add or remove pressure. If the chalk is still on the outside edges of the tyre, but mostly gone from the middle then the tyre is overinflated, the opposite would indicate an underinflation situation. I adjusted pressures untill the chalk mark was worn the same accross the surface of the tyre. Because the motorhomes weight is not perfectly balanced, I found that the drivers side required about 8psi more then the passanger side. I inflated both tyres to the drivers side result plus another 5psi, I ended up with 67 psi in the fronts. I did the same for the rear duals, equalizing the pressure on all four tyres, ended up at 58psi.
I check the temperature at the outside areas and the middle of each tread. I am looking for equal temperatures +/- 5 degrees. The temperature of each tyre is allways a little different- weight distribution, road crown etc. but have with one exception been within my arbitrary limits. The only time it wasn't my temperature was much warmer on the outside tread area. Gauge checking the pressure showed 56psi. After pumping it back up to 70psi, I had it checked at a tyre shop--leaking valve core.Cheap and easy.
After having said all that, I am going to invest in a tyre pressure monitoring system, and the next time I take it by the govt weigh station I will get it weighed.
Thanks for the compliment on the RV and tires/stems. It will make my life easier.

Soooo sorry to hear of your loss and hope you find the driver.

I will also try to use the chalk method as soon as I can find some chalk ...

Since I have a IR Temp gun, I will try to bring it out when I travel to see what kind of numbers or variations that I get.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Again, sorry for your loss and thanks again for taking the time to reply, IAN...
__________________
IAN (houseboats are RV's on the water)
1988 Amera Coach 23ft, dodge 360, Onan 4k
imorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Benny367's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
that is a freakishly looking rv

i would see no problem with opening up the hole on the hub cap

do a little at a time and then check the fit and clearance
It is a cool looking RV! Reminds me of the Scooby -Doo Mystery Machine!
Attached Images
 
__________________
2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 35' Ford Chassis
Benny367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
It is a cool looking RV! Reminds me of the Scooby -Doo Mystery Machine!
Thanks, it is a really cool RV, especially since I now am starting to have it all working really really well...

It has all the amenities I need in a smaller package, but gets worst gas mileage than the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine.. loll
__________________

__________________
IAN (houseboats are RV's on the water)
1988 Amera Coach 23ft, dodge 360, Onan 4k
imorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.