Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Valve stems, extenders, and hubcaps

I want to be able to easily check my tire pressure and preferably have no leaks.

I have 16" wheels and unfortunately my new tires came installed with 1" solid brass valve stems (the dealer didn't have longer ones). The stainless hubcaps that are on the wheels now are not "user friendly" to allow checking the tire pressure.

I put the 2" curved valve extenders from CW on them to help try to check/inflate the tires through the small (@1.5" holes) in the hubcaps. Almost impossible. I end up having to fight or completely remove all the hubcaps each time to check pressure :(

The valve extenders on the drivers side haven't leaked, but on the passengers side they leaked and I had a flat at the campground. Not fun.

I was contemplating grinding/enlarging the small round holes on the hubcap to allow me more access but am afraid of the hubcaps being out of balance or cracking/tearing apart since I will be removing the little bent radius around the holes.

If I had 100-150 dollars to spare, I would consider having the short @1" solid brass valve stems replaced for @ 3" long brass ones, but that requires removing the wheels/tires/new longer stems and rebalance etc.....

One alternative is to "enlarge" the holes in my hubcaps to allow me more room to check or inflate my tires.

Would enlarging/grinding the holes create a problem like "out of balance" or cause the hubcaps to tear/crack etc...? I found a photo of someone who had enlarged the hole, yet don't know how they did it?

Ideally I would like to REMOVE the curved valve extenders as I feel they will eventually leak and possibly cause a blow out. I would prefer to keep the 1" brass valve stems since this is the most reliable and safest method.

I hope I am making sense as I am leaving for a 1500 mile trip and don't need wheel/tire problems...

IAN...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 1.30.52 PM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	27306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amera-Coach.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	27309  

Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #2

Part of me wants to remove the hubcaps and give it the redneck look, but another part of me LIKES the hubcap look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 3.23.54 PM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	27310  

Old 10-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #3

Does anyone have problems checking or inflating their tires?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

I have similar hubcaps to you. When I check tyre pressure, I remove the caps. I don't like to use extenders; just another thing to go wrong.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumperfood View Post
I have similar hubcaps to you. When I check tyre pressure, I remove the caps. I don't like to use extenders; just another thing to go wrong.
Hi Bumperfood, so you take off the hubcaps each time to check the pressure?

If you were driving for a week, would you be taking off the caps each morning?

I lost a hubcap that probably came loose from frequent removals...

I wonder how I could "enlarge" that thin stainless sheet metal ?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
that is a freakishly looking rv

i would see no problem with opening up the hole on the hub cap

do a little at a time and then check the fit and clearance
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
that is a freakishly looking rv

i would see no problem with opening up the hole on the hub cap

do a little at a time and then check the fit and clearance

Hmmmmm... "freakishly" looking RV.... is that good or bad? lolllll

I wonder how people would "open up the hole"? Should I try a jig saw, a dremel, a grinder, tin snips, or a metal cutting laser beam

I see that its stainless, so definitely not easy to cut. IAN...
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice looking RV.
My advice is to bite the bullet and get the proper length brass valve stems installed. Yes, it costs some $$, but having flats in inconvenient places will convince you it's money well spent. You'll spend a lot more than $100 if you need to call road service to come out and fix your tires a few times!
I have them on my MH and have never had a problem.
(And I'm old school, I like the hubcaps)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Nice looking RV.
My advice is to bite the bullet and get the proper length brass valve stems installed. Yes, it costs some $$, but having flats in inconvenient places will convince you it's money well spent. You'll spend a lot more than $100 if you need to call road service to come out and fix your tires a few times!
I have them on my MH and have never had a problem.
(And I'm old school, I like the hubcaps)
Thanks about the nice looking RV, it's an older one but runs great and attracts attention everywhere

I agree with you, the PITA of having a flat or blowout will outweigh the cost of replacing the brass valve stems.

I still will try to enlarge the hole in the hubcap to facilitate the checking and inflating of the tires. If it doesn't work, I very likely go to a tire shop to have them put longer valve stems (@ 3" long ones)
Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #10

I used a small die-grinder on my previous Fleetwood caps. Worked like a charm and could barely tell they were modified going down the road at 65mph.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #11

Yes I do take the hubcaps off each time to gauge check the tyre pressures, and no I do not do it every day when travelling. I do however, visually inspect and take their temperature with an infra red heat temperature gun, each time I stop, whether for lunch, fuel or whatever. Anything over an 8-10 degree difference calls for a closer inspection.

Having said that, your concern is valid, and the prudent thing would be to change the valves out to the longer ones. How would you address the inside duals? My valve stems are 180 degrees apart on the rear duals.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes I do take the hubcaps off each time to gauge check the tyre pressures, and no I do not do it every day when travelling. I do however, visually inspect and take their temperature with an infra red heat temperature gun, each time I stop, whether for lunch, fuel or whatever. Anything over an 8-10 degree difference calls for a closer inspection.

Having said that, your concern is valid, and the prudent thing would be to change the valves out to the longer ones. How would you address the inside duals? My valve stems are 180 degrees apart on the rear duals.
I have found a tire shop that will put 4" brass valve stems and can bend them properly to have them project out through the hubcap holes. This way it will be sooooooo easy to check or inflate the tires. It will cost @ $100 but I feel it is money well spent.

I had my RV weighed today and the weight is more than I thought. It will help me to inflate the tires accordingly.

I like your idea about the IR Temp gun, as I have one, and will try to use it instead of having it sit in the tool box.

How do you actually use it? Do you point it at the sidewall and measure the temp and compare it against the other three wheel temperatures?

You say that a difference of 8-10 deg F between tires is cause for concern?

PS: I don't have dual wheels in the rear, only a single wheel.

IAN...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kool motor home! I would use a Dremmel or die grinder if available. Either would make short work of cutting out the caps.

burfurd
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

You can get Dually Valve Stems that are solid metal long enough to extend to the outside of the outer dually.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

I also purchased these double sealing caps so I don't have to remove the valve caps to check or add air.

A1046-250 Double Sealing Valve Cap Qty:1

Now I can check the air in all the tires within 5 minutes.

If you are not sure which valve stems you need call them and they can tell you.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote