Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Vapor canister and/or mechanical fuel pump

This is an 84 pace arrow - chevy 454 on a p30 chassis - 7.4L v8

Is the canister in the left the vapor canister and on the right the mechanical fuel pump? I read sometimes that these rigs have 2 vapor canisters but this had the 2nd tank deleted.

These canisters are connected to each other!

Thanks!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8704.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	176394  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Holy rats nest batman! That is good old 80's vacuum hosing. Are both canisters plastic? Does your rig have a vacuum routing anywhere? I am not positive about your statement about fuel tanks...did your rig originally have dual fuel tanks? My 86 Chevy pickup I believe only has 1 evap line going to the canister. I don't know if the switching valve also switches evap or if the lines T together at some point before coming to the front of the vehicle. Is there a specific problem you are having and trying to address?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #3

There was option for dual tanks but I have the original card from when rv was sold saying the second was not installed so I'm guessing one is a vapor canister and the other is a mechanical fuel pump.

I have a thread here talking about intermittent gasoline smell in cab - trying to work through that problem!

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #4

Oh and this is all located in front passenger wheel well!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

The one on the left looks like the canister. Around that time, chevy used a 3 port canister. One line to carb, one to fuel tank, and one to PCV line (purge).
Then also a spaghetti configuration of other vacuum lines the egr, etc.
I would suggest finding the diagram to an 84 P30 or 1 ton truck.
The mechanical fuel pump will be on the lower passenger side of the block, towards the front.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Both canisters...pump is on the engine
Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #7

great - thanks for the info - seems odd that the canisters are different sizes - will have to pull to get part numbers to replace!
Thanks for the help!
Ian
Old 09-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #8

One other note. It's tough to say what emission controls are on the motorhomes because of GVW allowances, but GM used electric/vacuum operated solenoids/valves to control purging of the canister in those year trucks. You may want to determine if those are functioning correctly too. Could be the canister is fine and controls are not functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsmithy View Post
great - thanks for the info - seems odd that the canisters are different sizes - will have to pull to get part numbers to replace!
Thanks for the help!
Ian
Old 09-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #9

Double cannister on this carbed 454 rig, I suspect yours is the same. One is possibly an air filter for the smog pump ?

kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump