Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #1

Vintage bias?

I'm not saying that I have experienced this at all, just kinda had a thought. (It only hurt a little)

In searching through Woodall's website at RV parks that we might want to stay at, I notice that some of them are pretty upscale. Real nice facilities and they're real proud of them (read pricey). Do any of them discriminate against a more matured and mellowed RV? I don't leak or anything like that, but I'm just wondering if the level of welcome is equal to the newness of the RV.

Thanks
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Not unsurprising to encounter 10 year rules and RV-length and Type limitations. Basically, they cater to the elitists amongst the big dollar Coach crowd. I've got a finger on each hand that I reserve for such places.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
To paraphrase Monty Python in regards to the snooty RV resorts: "I fart in their general direction".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #4

Ok, forewarned and forearmed and all that.

How can you tell, if at all?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Sometimes, they list it on their websites, but you'll never find it in a Trailer Life or Woodalls Directory.

Sometimes you won't find out till you pull in to the check in area.

One way to limit running into this issue is to avoid any place that puts "Resort" in their name.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
One way to limit running into this issue is to avoid any place that puts "Resort" in their name.
Yeah, but even this is not a reliable indicator, case in point, Gregerory E. Moore RV Resort at Topsail Hill State Preserve in Ft Walton Beach, FL. I've seen everything from tents to truck campers to older TTs to 1M coaches in here. Its a terrific park, with pool, nice landscaped PAVED sites and reasonable rates. You gotta love Florida State Parks.
I try to stay away from any place that charges more than about $45 a night. The higher the price the snootier the attitude in my book. I'm a big fan of State and Fed parks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If they don't want my vintage trailer, I certainly do not need them and my money they will not see.

ken
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Some parks will accept a older motorhome and or trailer on a case by case basis that means that they want a picture or to see it in person before they will let you stay. Sucks but they have all those 1M motorcoaches and they don't want to be next to those "old Junk Motorhomes!!" Those are the people i stay away from. Don't like it when the rich look down on us poorer folk! Thats about as ni8ce as i can make it...You can guess the rest, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #9

Any public park will take any RV. Age does not matter. We do prefer public parks over private parks. Only problem is with length of stay restrictions. But we have worked around that before. There are campgrounds that I do not stay at. One is the kind with age restrictions... for either people or RV's. I no longer have children camping with us but I still do not put any of my $$ for those campgrounds that discriminate against kids in their pockets.

When Rockport TX city offices told us that food vendors were "trashy", we decided not to insult their high standards by spending our "trashy" money made thru our "trashy" business in their town (nor did we give them a $5K bond so that we could vend there) and moved from Rockport over to Corpus Christi where our business was okay and so was our money. :P
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If they don't let 10 year or old units in, we don't go. We can still slide in under the rule but don't.
Camping if for everyone to enjoy not just those with deep pockets.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You can do like I did and join the Elk's. Or the Eagles, Moose or whatever place that has their own RV lots. Les
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Indian View Post
You can do like I did and join the Elk's. Or the Eagles, Moose or whatever place that has their own RV lots. Les
I might of given you the wrong idea about the Elk's RV places. Well not to many Elk's lodges have "Resort" type of places, but I never have to worry about getting the boot because of age. In fact, some of those guy's in the 40' rigs really like to look at my clean little Winnebago and talk about having one. Nothing like camping with friends.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #13

We traveled to Wyoming and back to Az in Sept/Oct and had no problems with getting our '88 Itasca in any park. Don't know if it made a difference but stayed mostly in parks that gave us the Good Sam or KOA discount.
Even had comments on how well our motorhome looked.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #14

I think the bias rears it's ugly head when you start talking about monthly stays more than over night. I really couldn't say. While we have a 30+ yo RV, we tend to stay more in public campgrounds than private. Now we did get turned away from several parks in Rockport/Aransas Pass/Portland/Corpus Christi (TX). The age of our RV was the determining factor in a few of the places (we were turned down AFTER they asked how old our RV was). But we also had a food cart (eek!) and two Jeeps. So space constraints were also a factor although the food cart was enough to keep us out of a few parks as well. For the most part, if your RV is clean and taken care of, there shouldn't be a problem in MOST places. I do know our RV looked a whole lot better after I took a can of latex semi-gloss house paint and a paint brush to it (I literally "washed" the old paint off with ordinary soap and water).