Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #1

The very first fifth wheel I can recall was, and I'm not joking, attached to the roof of a Pontiac! It was around 1970 or so, and there was a hitch plate that was attached to the roof of the car and the fiver was hooked to it. (Could be that a more accurate description would be that it had a goose neck- I just can't recall for sure).

Anyway, believe it or not some people think that maybe my elevator doesn't go to the top floor, and they don't think that this set-up ever existed.

I'd love to get my hands on a picture of this rig... or at least some info such as brand name, year, etc. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Skip
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #2

The very first fifth wheel I can recall was, and I'm not joking, attached to the roof of a Pontiac! It was around 1970 or so, and there was a hitch plate that was attached to the roof of the car and the fiver was hooked to it. (Could be that a more accurate description would be that it had a goose neck- I just can't recall for sure).

Anyway, believe it or not some people think that maybe my elevator doesn't go to the top floor, and they don't think that this set-up ever existed.

I'd love to get my hands on a picture of this rig... or at least some info such as brand name, year, etc. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Skip
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #3

You are right Skip. The one that I saw was hooked up to a 70s Buick two door hardtop in Mesquite TX. Years ago.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure if this qualifies as a 5th wheel, We saw it at the Tin Can Tourist rally in Michigan.

1936 CURTISS AEROCAR - Travel Trailer

Hindleys Garage Link
Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #5

Bob&Pat, I remember that fith wheel also at Milford. It had a tiny wheel and tire in the trunk that the trailer used to help "guide it" I suppose. Very neat to see.

A few years back we wwere at The Goodguys Show at Indy. There was this neat rod made to pull a fith wheel trailer. I look for the picture.

1964 Ander-ett 16ft
michcruiser60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #6

Ah, Problem solved! a friend of mine sent this photo of a "Shadow" fifth wheel being pulled by a Caddy via a roof mount!

Skip http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/terbie2/detail?.dir=/c65f...=5b0fre2.jpg&.src=ph

Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #7

Well DARN! I couldn't get the photo to display. Anyone able to help me with that?

Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #8

Let's see if this works...

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\tlp6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2007, 03:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Skip,
You have to upload your photo to the web you can use the photo post on IRV2 by clicking on PHOTOS at the top of the web page it requires separate registration and then link it to your post.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have to upload your pic into Photo's just get link to Yahooo.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #11

Ok, let's give this a try. I'm bound and determined to get this pic posted here!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #12

Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #13

ok I give up... can't get the dumb photo posted here, but if you go to photos you'll see a poster advertising the Shadow fifth wheel.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #14

Skip, I have not sat down to look at how pictures are done here, so I'm no help YET.
But I do have all my stuff in photobucket then copy them over to here. Hope this helps...
BTW, very cool stuff this 5th wheel. Not so sure I'd try it.

1964 Ander-ett 16ft
michcruiser60 is offline   Reply With Quote