Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #43

You're describing failure due to aluminum wire usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
I have a "vintage" brick and morter home built in 1962 with an old electrical panel with circuit breakers. Not long ago the plug in the kitchen started smoking and stinking terrible. The breaker never tripped as it should have. I spoke to an electrican about this and he said it is common with old breakers to not trip when they should.
Could this have been the case in the park that had the electrical fire?
We are leaving Phx. for Casper Wyoming very soon and I checked with the park we will be staying in at Casper. They have a 10 year rule but only for long term stays.
Our rig is an '87 but is clean, stripes repainted and body waxed. Cleaned all the stray caulk off around the windows, etc, hub caps polished.
Even have 2 sets of Harbor Freight solar panels on the roof. One set can be raised and turned to the sun.
Should be a good trip, I hope.
Hope the OP has a good time also.

1962 and there abouts. What you describe was often accountable to the use of pure aluminum wiring in circuits designed for copper. The breakers would not trip. Hundreds of thousand of homes were affected. Most people would pay to have "repairs" done. If you could call it that. They would pigtail copper wire to the aluminum and replace the outlets and switches along with antioxidant on the connections. Some people did not know to have it done or ignored the problem. Many went up in flames as described. Again this is a problem with the circuit. The fire is not caused by the item being plugged into the circuit. Motorhomes being plugged into a panel cannot cause the panel to be set on fire. The panel and wiring have to be at fault. Even if you place a solid iron bar across the circuit, which would cause maximum current draw, your circuit must trip before the wiring becomes hot enough to burn. Some make believe "electricians" might replace a 30 amp breaker/fuse with a 50 amp to bring in a few more bucks for themselves. That's the most likely reason for a panel to burst into flames. Even the outlet itself is often overlooked. It has a maximum amperage rating as well. Want to catch what goes on in your home? Here's a common mistake. 12 gauge wire run for a kitchen circuit of 20 amps capacity. What you'll find install is outlets rated for 15 amps. Go ahead and check. How about the home "electrician" adding that extra outlet in the kitchen for say a microwave. To him 14 gauge and 12 gauge looks the same. The kitchen wired for 20 amps with 12 gauge gets extended with 14 gauge wire. What happens? Most times nothing until say a toaster and the microwave are plugged into the same extended outlet. You start drawing 20 amps and the 14 gauge goes up in smoke. Circuit breaker will not trip to save the wire or your home.

Anyway there are lots of ways to look at things but the laws of physics don't change.

10 year old motorhomes are not more dangerous than new.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
The real bad thing is that a lot of the RV's have 15 yr. financing. Are you guys paying off early or just trading in every few years?
J
I don't know about others, but this is our first motor home and it will most likely be our last. My wife has multiple sclerosis and it's the only means of transportation she can or will use. I've put too much time and effort in refurbishing plus modifying it to start over again on another one. It's an ex rental and buying it doubled our debt. It will all be paid off in 2017 so I guess by then it'll be considered ancient. We don't use camp grounds anyway so the rule won't bother us. (but these type of rules are an irritant to me )
So
That leaves a question that begs to be asked
If campgrounds are turning away prospective customers because of 10 yr old rigs, Why do they complain about RV's overnighting in parking lots?
Makes one wonder doesn't it.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most do not turn away a decent looking RV based on age. There a fair number of vintage RVs still on the road. I would be very inclimed to tell them that my 1989 was a 2001. Most of these folks do not know the difference until you get into some of the really older ones.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Most do not turn away a decent looking RV based on age.
That would make some sense, but then again why have the rule in the first place. OK say for next year I want to attend a function of some sort in a far away city, so try to make a reservation at a close by campground who (unknown to me) have the 10 year rule. I'm sure the question will arise "how old is your RV?" I'll honestly reply 11 years old. Then what? Most likely "Sorry no reservation because we have an RV age limit"
This year so far I haven't gone anywhere. I've put the whole summer into working on our property and waxing, touch up and modifications to the RV. When it leaves the property next week for a short trip (probably a week) it'll look like new. But no one will see that by telephone.
Guess I'll do what I usually do by staying where I'm wanted

Cheers
Willey
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WillyB
Just play the game and tell them it's nine years old. They will never ask for your registration. My first Motorhome was over ten years old but it was beautiful, and in wonderful condition. I never had an age problem and was never asked to prove the age.
Now if ones Motorhome is a rolling wreck, their goose is cooked. No one wants to be sitting next to something like that.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #48

I have made that trip numerous times in my 85 Holiday Rambler MOHO and I have stayed at many of the parks along the I-10/I-20 corridor, and I cant ever remember a park asking me what year or anything like that Now in calif, there are some that would not take me. Im ok with that, and now that I have upgraded to a 86, lol , who cares, but if I were you, I would not worry about that part at all. Them parks need the money and they aint snobbish at all/
homelesshobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
WillyB
Just play the game and tell them it's nine years old. They will never ask for your registration. My first Motorhome was over ten years old but it was beautiful, and in wonderful condition. I never had an age problem and was never asked to prove the age.
Now if ones Motorhome is a rolling wreck, their goose is cooked. No one wants to be sitting next to something like that.
OK that makes sense (sort of a game where it gives the CG an out for the really unwanted) from now on ours is a permanent 9 yr old RV

Cheers
Willey
Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyB View Post
OK that makes sense (sort of a game where it gives the CG an out for the really unwanted) from now on ours is a permanent 9 yr old RV

Cheers
Willey
Good for you Willey, I would be glad to have you and your nine year old Motorhome as a neighbor .

Chuck
Old 09-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #51

I'm glad you all got this worked out. Now when you are in my neck of the woods come on by. We do not ask the age of your RV for campground stays. We do however ask for our permanent residents. If you want to see some trailers from the 50's and 60's check us out. This park has been here in one form or another since 1882. Old stage stop along the river.
(campwilliams.com)
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mark,
Howdy neighbor ! I had no idea that there was an RV Park up there, it sure looks nice. We live in Shadow Hills near Burbank and used to eat at El Encanto before it closed. Sure is a small world !!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I'm glad you all got this worked out. Now when you are in my neck of the woods come on by. We do not ask the age of your RV for campground stays. We do however ask for our permanent residents. If you want to see some trailers from the 50's and 60's check us out. This park has been here in one form or another since 1882. Old stage stop along the river.
(campwilliams.com)
I live in Altadena, CA, I'll have to stop by and check out your facilities one day. I usually go to the campground over in the San Dimas area at Puddinstone Lake.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #54

Willy, you are putting everyone that has an older RV, or one that is not in the best of shape all in one group. We have parked next to some that were wrecks, noisy, and looked like hell. BUT, they were the nicest people anyone could want to park next to. We have tried 3 different years to get next to them again. It is NOT THE AGE OR CONDITION of a RV, but who is in it that counts. They quite often might be someone who does not make the money to buy super newer ones.
Al, Michigan. 2003 Mountain Aire.
Al, Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al, Michigan View Post
Willy, you are putting everyone that has an older RV, or one that is not in the best of shape all in one group.
We have parked next to some that were wrecks, noisy, and looked like hell. BUT, they were the nicest people anyone could want to park next to. We have tried 3 different years to get next to them again. It is NOT THE AGE OR CONDITION of a RV, but who is in it that counts. They quite often might be someone who does not make the money to buy super newer ones.
Al, Michigan. 2003 Mountain Aire.
Hi Al, it took me quite awhile re-reading my posts to see what you were referring to. I guess it really boils down to the "the" in this statement
Quote:
(sort of a game where it gives the CG an out for the really unwanted)
Perhaps I could have used "their" or a better choice of words but being like a lot of folks I do not analyze single statements while posting, but look at the overall intent and meaning of the message. I do believe we are discussing the 10 year rule, not people affected by it. Being a loner most of my life, I can assure you I could care less what my neighbors own,drive, camp or live in. Rules in commercial business/establishments, that for no GOOD reason, that limit the freedom of others to the same enjoyment pi$$ me off. However as I stated above my RV is now a permanent 9 year old if I'm ever asked.
BTW if anyone is interested I was born in the hungry 30's in a coal mining town. Yes I know what poor means.
Cheers
Willey
Old 09-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #56

What do you mean by "all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
(campwilliams.com)

The gist of this thread is not about anything but "excluding" people from campgrounds for no legitimate reason, that being 10 years old MH's. It is not about all campgrounds. It is not about how to get away with getting yourself accepted.

So, for me, I take exception to your phrasing "all got this worked out". I'm not included.

Let me add to this. If the camp ground owners want to make their establishments "CLUBS" then they can do as they please. That includes going broke. Otherwise, they are to serve the ENTIRE public population EXACTLY the same. Everyone gets in. You make more money! See, just where are the NEW motorhomes going to go? On the side of the road? I don't think so! Not without their sewer, water and electric hookups.

It's bad for business to exclude ANYONE. Well, you already know that. The other CG owners who are banishing people don't so it's not all worked out.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote