Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #71

Update to this older thread: Stopped at the KOA campground in Sanger, TX to look for a space. First question back to me was "What's the age of your coach?" When I replied "A 2001 Carriage Conestoga 5th wheel". I was then told that KOA doesn't allow units older than 10 years, so I couldn't stay with them. Period. Didn't matter if the brand was Carriage, Teton, Newell or NuWa, or what it looked like.
oldretiredafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #72

First time i've heard such a thing. Is this common? I see all kinds of vintage equipment parke in KOA's on the east coast all the time.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #73

We stayed in one in Michigan a couple week ago-- had to be a Class A coach-/ don't remember length but had to be so long--and less than 10 year old. ?? Their park-their rules??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #74

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hadn't run into this problem yet. We full time and I'm working full time. We have a 2003 Itasca and were staying in a mobile home park campground.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #75

I had this happen to me at a park in Spring, Tx. about a year and a half ago (Rayford RV). Rule was no more than 10 years old...I believe. However, they said they would make exceptions depending on condition and appearance and I could show them a picture. Since I was there, I asked them to come outside and look for themselves. 30 seconds later I was registering for the evening. Very nice people and very nice park.

As Russell said, their parks, their rules. I understand wanting to maintain a certain standard and level of aesthetics (HOA anyone?) but there is a lot of revenue to be had out there from those of us with older units.

I try to call in advance now.

Roger
Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #76

I ran into this when I was calling around Panama City beach for campgrounds and they were the same way, I could send in a photo... I said screw you and stayed at "Raccoon River" and am glad I did. My coach is nice, I could have lied and told them it was newer but it's a principle with me...My car is over 50 and worth more than a lot of 9 year old RV's. And a lot of vintage RV's are really neat, It's age discrimination I tell ya!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Please take this in the manner it is offered...

I have to side with the park owners -
they take the risk, they buy the land, they pay the gooberment,
so shouldn't they be able to do what they want with their property ???

What about with YOUR property ?
What if I came to your house and said you had to let me stay there ?

What if I came to YOUR rv and said move ova, I'm movin in

And I stayed at Rayford crossing one night... won't be back - sites too tight for my druthers.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #78

The place I was talking about was a "buy in" park. You own the lot and you can landscape it and build a laundry house and fireplace on it. People there spend 150,000 to 200,000 on improvements after they buy the lot for considerable more than that.

Not a place I will be buying into but I did listen to their sales pitch. Was just being nosy I guess. Never ever intended to buy a lot.

The above being said this was really not an RV park for a traveling person. Was a park to stay at with like friends & then probably go to another like park in Florida or California most likely with the same friends.

I feel that it is just fine for them to have any restrictions they wish. Just like any HOA.

If I want to abide by their rules so be it. Two nights was fine for me. I still like Walmart now & them. Lol

Russell
Old 06-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
older coach

I joined passport America and I told them I had a classic RV and the year they said no problem .I made a reservation in San Diego also called ahead also told them the year no problem. then I get there and the women said you cannot stay here I said I have a reservation and I told the person the year of my coach ? She started yelling you can't stay here. I wasn't moving she finally said you can stay one night, I said but my reservation was for 2 nights she said one,I was to tired to argue with her and went to my spot. Later the maintenance man came by and apologized for her behavior and said she has been doing this a lot. The next morning I called PA It took 3 days before they called me back.... that was the end of my P.A. experience. There are a lot of places that have the 10 year rule.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #80

This was not the case with the park I talked of previous. When I call in for a reservation. Her first statement was that I had to be so long had to be a Class A coach and couldn't be more than 10 year old.

Never a question. I think that is fine.

Russell
Old 06-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #81

Follow up to my earlier post... I called the KOA national contact number, and asked about the 10 year rule. The rep said that it must be a local campground rule, as there were no corporate rules about age. I then called back to this particular campground and asked the same question as to whether it was local or national. A manager (Not the young lady I first spoke to in person) said their owner had decreed the rule for 'his' campground. I then mentioned that you might want to suggest to the same young lady use a different phrase, such as "We don't allow units over 10 years old", and not "KOA doesn't allow....."

Since it is co-located and owned by a large regional RV dealer, makes me wonder if they no longer wish to service or repair our older coaches?
oldretiredafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #82

Tiffin Owners Club
The KOA nearest our home often has antique RV outings. So it's not KOA. I hear they do this, forbid in Palm Springs too.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #83

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I guess I wont be staying in any resort ! Mine is NOT what some will want to be parked next to. I plan on fixing it up. See yall in the sp!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently stayed in 2 different KOA's while traveling from Texas to MI. 2004 Winnebago 33 ft. Looks good but was never asked. Don't know how I would react.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote